FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

zitsky Feb 8, 2024 10:07 am

Is there a thread for the 787-10 Dreamliner? I'm booked on EWR-SFO in PP in December. If there is an equipment change, what would they most likely use, and how often does that happen? Would I lose PP and be stuck in Economy Plus? Would they be running the Dreamliner to SFO for Asia flights?

mariol Feb 8, 2024 10:11 am

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 35981853)
Is there a thread for the 787-10 Dreamliner? I'm booked on EWR-SFO in PP in December. If there is an equipment change, what would they most likely use, and how often does that happen? Would I lose PP and be stuck in Economy Plus? Would they be running the Dreamliner to SFO for Asia flights?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-787-10-a.html

drewguy Feb 8, 2024 1:06 pm

That far out there's more change of an equipment change. But all 787 variants have the same number of PP seats, so would be unlikely to affect that. And you'd be entitled to partial refund if downgraded (if you selected PP seat that's marked as E+ because it's not marketed on that flight then no comp).

dkc192 Feb 8, 2024 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 35982406)
That far out there's more change of an equipment change. But all 787 variants have the same number of PP seats, so would be unlikely to affect that. And you'd be entitled to partial refund if downgraded (if you selected PP seat that's marked as E+ because it's not marketed on that flight then no comp).

In lieu of a partial refund if downgraded from PE/PP to Y, you also have the option to switch to any other EWR-SFO flight that has a PE/PP cabin.

zitsky Feb 9, 2024 5:34 am

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 35983152)
In lieu of a partial refund if downgraded from PE/PP to Y, you also have the option to switch to any other EWR-SFO flight that has a PE/PP cabin.

It looks like there is only one a day on the schedule. Each direction.

Infinite1K Feb 9, 2024 9:00 am

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 35984159)
It looks like there is only one a day on the schedule. Each direction.

Yikes. The schedule looks pretty bad as far as proper Polaris/PP seats go.

Only three wind bodies, with the 781 the lone aircraft with Polaris/PP seats. The other two are 777 HD with the 8 across seats and no PP.

Rest of the flights are on 752s.

EWR-LAX looks a bit better with 2 of their 3 wide bodies being on 781 (the other a 777 HD).

The Man in Seat 9A Feb 9, 2024 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 35984623)
Rest of the flights are on 752s.

I guess we know where all the 752s on SFO-BOS and LAX-BOS went to...

This is a drag for SFO/LAX-NYC regulars and I imagine will cost UA some business.

While I am not in that category, I often through EWR on East coast trips to have a shot at Premium Plus or Polaris ($$/PlusPoints). With those cabins out of the mix, there's no incentive. Not to mention the odds of getting into the inferior seats in the pointy end are lower...

I'll go back to seeking out the widebodies on IAD/IAH/DEN connections to smaller east coast cities (SFO-ORD hasn't had widebodies in any of my recent searches). Then I can score a Premium Plus seat for free and have a reasonable shot at a reasonably priced upgrade.

as219 Feb 9, 2024 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A (Post 35985402)
I guess we know where all the 752s on SFO-BOS and LAX-BOS went to...

This is a drag for SF)/LAX-NYC regulars and I imagine will cost UA some business.

While I am not in that category, I often through EWR on East coast trips to have a shot at Premium Plus or Polaris ($$/PlusPoints). With those cabins out of the mix, there's no incentive. Not to mention the odds of getting into the inferior seats in the pointy end are lower...

I'll go back to seeking out the widebodies on IAD/IAH/DEN connections to smaller east coast cities (SFO-ORD hasn't had widebodies in any of my recent searches). Then I can score a Premium Plus seat for free and have a reasonable shot at a reasonably priced upgrade.

Yeah, this is kind of bad news for us. Last year I frequently bought PP on EWR-LAX-SAN and upgraded when I could. (I needed the segments and strongly preferred the lie-flat.) These days, J on the EWR-SAN nonstop is 1/2 the cost of flying J via LAX/SFO. Guess I'll have to find my segments elsewhere...

sonyeoshin Feb 9, 2024 2:26 pm

At least there appears to be an increase of flights by this November. Right now its 8 daily flights for both SFO and LAX, by November it should be 12 flights for SFO and 10 flights for LAX. Not sure if that's the norm though. But seeing the 78X come back to SFO makes me happy.

Manoa Chris Feb 10, 2024 3:02 am

Nothing quite as exasperating as spending $3k one way on a SFO-EWR redeye to get downgraded to the 753 a few hours before departure.

zitsky Feb 10, 2024 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris (Post 35986685)
Nothing quite as exasperating as spending $3k one way on a SFO-EWR redeye to get downgraded to the 753 a few hours before departure.

I booked one half of EWR-SFO in PP to get to Bali/Singapore. But I’m starting to think it’s a waste of miles. And maybe it’s better to go through Europe either on an award or miles. I still have the option of a west route with cash on ANA or JAL.

I’m trying to avoid Singapore Airlines since I’ve heard mixed reviews about business class seats.

dcpdxtrans Feb 10, 2024 10:56 am

Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread as I'm not flying for the food: is there a way in the app or on the website to filter TCON flights only for Polaris for NY to LAX/SFO? I'm not interested in a regular domestic F seat and for some upcoming flights, I will need to sleep well. For transparency, I can sleep in E+ (or anywhere) but obviously, it will be a much more comfortable rest in a lie flat (despite the fact that the prices for these flights nearly rival some int'l polaris)

Kryssa Feb 10, 2024 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans (Post 35987565)
Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread as I'm not flying for the food: is there a way in the app or on the website to filter TCON flights only for Polaris for NY to LAX/SFO? I'm not interested in a regular domestic F seat and for some upcoming flights, I will need to sleep well. For transparency, I can sleep in E+ (or anywhere) but obviously, it will be a much more comfortable rest in a lie flat (despite the fact that the prices for these flights nearly rival some int'l polaris)

All flights EWR-LAX/SFO will offer PS (“premium service”) first class with the Polaris seat.

You can check the seating chart if you’re unsure.

dcpdxtrans Feb 10, 2024 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kryssa (Post 35987989)
All flights EWR-LAX/SFO will offer PS (“premium service”) first class with the Polaris seat.

You can check the seating chart if you’re unsure.

Interesting. I saw a flight this morning that was on a 752 that was not marked as Polaris, only F. I saw this after checking two other flights on 772s that obviously were Polaris. I then decided to post bc I didn't want to waste time. I'll check again.

Kryssa Feb 10, 2024 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans (Post 35988606)
Interesting. I saw a flight this morning that was on a 752 that was not marked as Polaris, only F. I saw this after checking two other flights on 772s that obviously were Polaris. I then decided to post bc I didn't want to waste time. I'll check again.

If you see something that looks questionable, give us the date and flight number. All direct flights on these specific routes will be PS (not “Polaris” but they will have the lay flat seats.)