FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1719061-premium-transcon-service-sfo-lax-ewr-flights-questions-experiences.html)

econ Jan 20, 2024 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K (Post 35901417)
However if you can go with JFK, flying AA is such a better experience.

Seats
AA does have 2-2 configuration, but that will be better than United 752 and 777HD. Even though the seats are similar to 752, since the Airbus has a wider fuselage, the non bulkhead seats have much bigger wedges for the footwell than on UA 752.
Also, it’s not uncommon to get an op-up to AA First in which case the 1-1 configuration is so much more spacious than what you’ll get on United.

Onboard Service
AA catering is better than what United offers. Everything from a proper pre-order (none of this options not being available during pre-order), printed menus, bread basket, entree served seperately and larger portions (even the nuts ramekin is bigger). And AA has the snack basket and pre-landing baked cookies.

Lounges
AA Flagship/Greenwich lounges are much better than United Club. And again if you get the op-up upgrade to First, you can use the Chelsea/Soho lounge at JFK which is arguably better than Polaris Lounges and not as busy.

Agree with pretty much everything here.

I've also occasionally received the op-up to F on Flagship Transcon, but it's always been at the gate just before boarding starts, so no opportunity to use the Chelsea lounge. I also recall reading reports on the AA forum that op-up F BPs aren't accepted there anyways. Have you been able to use that lounge in that scenario?

Infinite1K Jan 21, 2024 12:06 am

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35926746)
Agree with pretty much everything here.

I've also occasionally received the op-up to F on Flagship Transcon, but it's always been at the gate just before boarding starts, so no opportunity to use the Chelsea lounge. I also recall reading reports on the AA forum that op-up F BPs aren't accepted there anyways. Have you been able to use that lounge in that scenario?

I’ve only had op-up at gate as well.

However when it happens at SFO, no loss of missing out on a better lounge at SFO since they only have the Admirals Club. But when arriving at JFK, no issues accessing the Chelsea/Soho Lounges.

FlyerBeek Jan 21, 2024 2:41 am

Looks like there should be some much overdue enhancements to United's premium transcon service coming soon: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...ning-upgrades/

-FlyerBeek

PTahCha Jan 22, 2024 10:46 am

Well, 2 anecdotal data points, but they are both disappointing flights:

EWR-SFO: No hot towel, no toppings for ice cream sundae (and no cart either). No proactive refilling of beverages.

SFO-EWR: No choice of meal for 1K sitting in row 1 (that's me and my partner), no nuts, although there is hot towel. No cart for dessert - just purser presenting a tray of desserts, although sundae toppings were available. Clearing all glassware 90 minutes prior to landing, and no drink offered with snack service. Bottled water was boarded, but not handed out to passengers. Between clearing the cabin for landing 45 minutes prior and double chimes at 20 minutes, half of the FAs were hanging out in the galley, with at least 2 FAs drinking bottled water that should have been handed out.

This is where B6 does well, since all Mint cabin crew needs to be certified before they can work in the premium cabin. None of this lazy crew cutting back service, or not remembering the service flow.

wxguy Jan 22, 2024 11:08 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 35932058)

EWR-SFO: No hot towel, no toppings for ice cream sundae (and no cart either). No proactive refilling of beverages.

SFO-EWR: No choice of meal for 1K sitting in row 1 (that's me and my partner), no nuts, although there is hot towel. No cart for dessert - just purser presenting a tray of desserts, although sundae toppings were available. Clearing all glassware 90 minutes prior to landing, and no drink offered with snack service. Bottled water was boarded, but not handed out to passengers. Between clearing the cabin for landing 45 minutes prior and double chimes at 20 minutes, half of the FAs were hanging out in the galley, with at least 2 FAs drinking bottled water that should have been handed out.

This is where B6 does well, since all Mint cabin crew needs to be certified before they can work in the premium cabin. None of this lazy crew cutting back service, or not remembering the service flow.

That's terrible, PTah. I hope you will communicate to 1KVoice. EWR<>SFO is advertised a "Premium Transcontinental Service," and we pay a premium fare for it.

Infinite1K Jan 22, 2024 11:09 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 35932058)

Flying JetBlue and it is very evident that they crew are trained and offer a great service.

Though based on my experience, I would say AA also does a better job of consistent service and offering what is advertised/expected than United. Not as good as JetBlue though.

greenpau Jan 23, 2024 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 35932135)
That's terrible, PTah. I hope you will communicate to 1KVoice. EWR<>SFO is advertised a "Premium Transcontinental Service," and we pay a premium fare for it.

Unfortunately, my worst UA flying experiences in the last few months have been SFO<>EWR. My last segment I received the cocktail, nuts, hot towel, and entree/salad setup all on one tray. The height of laziness from the FAs - no drink refills offered once proactively during the flight, just wordlessly snatching up empty glasses. Again they didn't set up the dessert cart or even bring a tray around - they barked "Sundae?" when they took the main tray away and brought one to those who requested.

Repooc17 Jan 24, 2024 4:38 pm

Friend flew in PE twice this month between NY and LA, and despite as stated there would be amenity kit plus noise reducing headphone, received neither on board.

Friend inquired with FA, and was told these are for business class. I would have pulled up United's own website and asked the FA to reconsider the response.

Also one flight received bottled water, and another nothing.

econ Jan 24, 2024 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35939399)
Friend flew in PE twice this month between NY and LA, and despite as stated there would be amenity kit plus noise reducing headphone, received neither on board.

My red-eye in PE last month there was no amenity kit and an economy-style blanket.

PTahCha Jan 25, 2024 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35939399)

Friend inquired with FA, and was told these are for business class. I would have pulled up United's own website and asked the FA to reconsider the response.

Also one flight received bottled water, and another nothing.

As you had pointed out:

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35897417)
Website is not accurate.

There is no amenity kit for PE on transcon flights. Bottled water is not standard amenity either.

There should have been business class headphone. Whether they work well as noise reduction headset is debatable.

Duke777 Jan 25, 2024 9:53 am

I flew LAX-EWR recently on the 787-10. There was turbulence leaving LAX so FAs were seated for probably the first 15 minutes, but we didn't receive lunch until we were in Nebraska (2+ hours into the flight). I can see why UA discontinued meal service between LAX and DEN if the service flow is so slow.

Repooc17 Jan 27, 2024 4:49 pm

UA2458 EWR-LAX (710pm)

22 in J
ZERO in PE
30-40 in economy

Yes, Saturday evening flight, but these kind of loads are on the lower end.

Kacee Jan 27, 2024 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Duke777 (Post 35941354)
I flew LAX-EWR recently on the 787-10. There was turbulence leaving LAX so FAs were seated for probably the first 15 minutes, but we didn't receive lunch until we were in Nebraska (2+ hours into the flight). I can see why UA discontinued meal service between LAX and DEN if the service flow is so slow.

I believe that's been a perennial problem on that particular aircraft due to not enough crew staffing the J cabin. UA's cost-cutting pretty much guaranteeing you'll have poor service, even if you get a willing crew.

sonyeoshin Jan 28, 2024 1:11 am

UA1152 LAX-EWR on 1/27 ended up using a 753, fun!

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...340Z/KLAX/KEWR

Repooc17 Jan 28, 2024 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin (Post 35948339)
UA1152 LAX-EWR on 1/27 ended up using a 753, fun!

https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...340Z/KLAX/KEWR

Ouch! Normally a 752 at the time slot. 240am arrival time.

Also noted the load was rather empty, front and back.