Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kryssa
All flights EWR-LAX/SFO will offer PS (“premium service”) first class with the Polaris seat.

You can check the seating chart if you’re unsure.
One of the first flights yesterday EWR-SFO was a 747-300. Most of the time, EWR-SFO is a lie-flat.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One of the first flights yesterday EWR-SFO was a 747-300. Most of the time, EWR-SFO is a lie-flat.
did I miss something? Or we having memories about equipment from a decade ago?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I think he meant 757-300. I am not sure Boeing sold many or even any 743s.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All flights EWR-LAX/SFO will offer PS (“premium service”) first class with the Polaris seat.
1. No, UA sometimes swaps in 753 or 739 with reclienrs on this route.
2. While the 752 and 772 HD have lie-flats, neither is a Polaris seat.
We have a 3-4 hour layover at HNL so can eat in the airport if needed. This is the third leg of a long itinerary so our sense of time of day will be wonky and we don’t want to be hungry.
You can be pretty sure it will be awful. Unfortunately, the airport options are fairly limited, especially before the redeyes.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
My bad fat finger. ‘‘Twas a 753.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Kacee

Just flew EWR FLL on 752. Whilst the seats are not the latest UA J flat product found on long-haul widebodies, the cabin does have a big "United POLARIS" sign by the right front bulkhead. Also, the personal IFE screens read the same.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first

Just flew EWR FLL on 752. Whilst the seats are not the latest UA J flat product found on long-haul widebodies, the cabin does have a big "United POLARIS" sign by the right front bulkhead. Also, the personal IFE screens read the same.
This is sometimes referred to as "Fauxlaris"
gelmore95030 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

The seat type does not make it Polaris, it's the service.

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
This is sometimes referred to as "Fauxlaris"
Which one is the true Ghetto bird? The 752 with old style lay flat or 772 with old style lay flat?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2024 at 11:40 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There’s always confusion between Polaris marketing and the “vision” of Polaris hard product. The Polaris seats are the all-aisle access versions currently being installed or retrofitted. There are legacy (non-Polaris) seats in cabins UA sells as Polaris. I would call a 773ER First seat SFO-HNL a Polaris seat in a First cabin. Same route and n a 752? I’d call that a lie-flat in a First cabin, even though it says Polaris on the bulkhead. Marketing vs hard product.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Which one is the true Ghetto bird? The 752 with old style lay flat or 772 with old style lay flat?
Give me a 752 any day over the 772. Im purposely routing myself through Denver on a coming Hawaiian trip to avoid spending 7 hours on the 772.

Thankfully both routes offer a dual meal service, does anyone know what United is serving on these routes?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
The birth of the ghetto bird stems back to the 763 outfitted with 2-2-2 BarcaLoungers in F. Vs 2-3-2 in coach. Awful
And they were in very roughed-up shape!
Any use thereafter is borrowed from the original.
Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
The birth of the ghetto bird stems back to the 763 outfitted with 2-2-2 BarcaLoungers in F. Vs 2-3-2 in coach. Awful
And they were in very roughed-up shape!
Any use thereafter is borrowed from the original.
Please someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I aware of the term, however, since the 763's have been retrofitted, that leaves the 752 and 772 that is why I'm asking
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I aware of the term, however, since the 763's have been retrofitted, that leaves the 752 and 772 that is why I'm asking
I was trying to be facetious!
Of those 2, the 772HDs seem in terrible shape, but the pmCO 752s are older than dirt. Pick your poison!
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee

You can be pretty sure it will be awful. Unfortunately, the airport options are fairly limited, especially before the redeyes.
Off-topic for this thread, but AFAIK scheduled flights on EWR-SFO/LAX are all lie-flat, and recliners are swapped only during IRROPS.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Off-topic for this thread, but AFAIK scheduled flights on EWR-SFO/LAX are all lie-flat, and recliners are swapped only during IRROPS.
IRROPS suggests some sort of circumstance beyond UA's control, when in fact sometimes UA swaps in a 739 or 753 because it doesn't have sufficient slack in its fleet and finds itself without a lie-flat aircraft to operate the scheduled flight. It's been occurring with some frequency recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.