Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

flag stop - san-iad red eye makes "flag stop" in CLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flag stop - san-iad red eye makes "flag stop" in CLE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by TA
What *is* the right thing?

Not disturbing the planned schedule and expected arrival time of a planeload of passengers? Or is it about getting 65 passengers to Cleveland with less disruption to them? Or are you suggesting there was a better way that would satisfy these both ideals with some cost that UA was unwilling to incur?

"The right thing" is not always clear cut?
Lol none of this matters if UA operates their schedule as promised when people buy a ticket - my thought is that all these issues wouldn't exist if UA operated properly - and to suggest that screwing over all those passengers who paid for a direct flight to accommodate UA's screw up is somehow "fair" is beyond me....

The right thing to do is to put them on another airline - but lol UA would rather do what they did to save the revenue....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol none of this matters if UA operates their schedule as promised when people buy a ticket - my thought is that all these issues wouldn't exist if UA operated properly - and to suggest that screwing over all those passengers who paid for a direct flight to accommodate UA's screw up is somehow "fair" is beyond me....

The right thing to do is to put them on another airline - but lol UA would rather do what they did to save the revenue....
put them on another airline where they may or may not get out...or get them out and inconvenience a few people to IAD. unless you were connecting in IAD and missed your connection, an hour isn't that big of a deal.

and without knowing the real reason for the original delay, hard to blame UA on this. pretty certain the 65 people to CLE would prefer this option than overnighting in SAN.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by enviroian
Didn't BA do this years ago on the LHR-SAN flight and stop in phx? Or something similar to that?
Yes. That is called a tag. TW used to fly a late-night SEA-PDX 762 tag as an add to their FRA-JFK-SEA service.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
put them on another airline where they may or may not get out...or get them out and inconvenience a few people to IAD. unless you were connecting in IAD and missed your connection, an hour isn't that big of a deal.

and without knowing the real reason for the original delay, hard to blame UA on this. pretty certain the 65 people to CLE would prefer this option than overnighting in SAN.
Lol statistics are against you since UA is dead last operationally - do you honestly believe UA is doing what is best for passengers - or for them? They are willing to inconvenience another 65 passengers just so they don't have to lose revenue - who matters more to UA? The 65 people they screwed over originally or the 65 people who paid more for a direct flight thy won't get - and no way UA is turning that flight in 45 minutes so spare me the minimal delay excuses....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA1K
i understand they are dead last operationally...but your comments just sound like someone who has a grudge against UA and will say anything negative.

given the circumstances...and we don't know all of the variables, it sounds like the best option possible. they could have said screw it, let them fly to DEN and have them on their own once there. we all know there have been countless times where people miss their connection and are on their own at their own expense. if you were one of the 65 trying to get to CLE, pretty certain you'd be appreciative and happy to get home.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

I'd say that as long as the IAD passengers didn't have to get off the plane and get back on, 1 hour isn't that big of a deal, and I don't think arriving at 6:30 am instead of 5:30 am would have significantly affected connections or appointments/meetings.

That being said, UA should still have given $25-$50 vouchers to the IAD pax proactively.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
i understand they are dead last operationally...but your comments just sound like someone who has a grudge against UA and will say anything negative.

given the circumstances...and we don't know all of the variables, it sounds like the best option possible. they could have said screw it, let them fly to DEN and have them on their own once there. we all know there have been countless times where people miss their connection and are on their own at their own expense. if you were one of the 65 trying to get to CLE, pretty certain you'd be appreciative and happy to get home.
The "circumstances" is that their UA flight had MX - OP noted this. So its UA's fault.

United at the same time sold a non-stop RED-eye to IAD. That is a flight that people (1) pay extra for, as its NS, and (2) because it is a relatively long flight, actually allows folks to get some sleep.

Faced with the fact that it had hosed 65 people when their plane went MX, United could have off loaded them to OALs, or it could have tried to move them around, instead it took something of value from those who bought SAN-IAD. Not only did it take an hour of their time, but it took if from sleep.

Were on on this flight I would be HOP'N mad.

The current management team has the attitude that once they have your money they can do what they like to you. Trust me, the people who paid to fly SAN-IAD N/S are likely not pleased.

A quality/honest/decent (pick your work) airline would have either not done this, or they would offer a proactive apology and major compensation (as in
"we are sorry for this, here is 10,000 miles or a $300 voucher") yet united here just engaged in its usual quasi-criminal approach to CS...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:07 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The mechanical is what it is, and sure, UA is at fault for that. But it could happen to any airline.

After 8pm, there are 3 realistic options to get to Cleveland:
-- 10:35pm UA through ORD
-- 10:35pm US through CLT
-- 10:30pm DL through ATL

From IAD in the morning, CLE is served by only an RJ.

The question for the critical posters above is, what concretely would you suggest UA should've done? Put maybe a few passengers on those flights (if they even had capacity), and rebooked the rest all for the next morning or later?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Well if you took a look at my past posts you would see that I defend UA as much as I take them to task for what I will call out as shoddy performance - and in this instance which is totally UA's fault - instead of putting the pax on other airlines clearly they wanted to keep the money - so not only did they inconvenience the original 65 they added another 65 - all to keep the money... I'm not a UA basher - I fly them tons - but this happens way too much now and I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade.

While I am impressed they turned the flight quickly - the impact to landing that much earlier in CLE and then taking off again and landing again can't have been good for the folks who thought they were purchasing a direct red-eye flight...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Oct 6, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by TA
The mechanical is what it is, and sure, UA is at fault for that. But it could happen to any airline.

After 8pm, there are 3 realistic options to get to Cleveland:
-- 10:35pm UA through ORD
-- 10:35pm US through CLT
-- 10:30pm DL through ATL

The question for the critical posters above is, what concretely would you suggest UA should've done? Put maybe a few passengers on those flights (if they even had capacity), and rebooked the rest all for the next morning or later?
Lets add UA SAN-IAD-CLE to the mix, so 4 options, and United could have upgaged IAD-CLE to address the issue, problem solved.

But seriously, do you think its more likely that (a) United could not fit any of these folks impacted by its own MX onto OALs, and this was the ONLY option, or (b) that UA did not want to pay OALs to take them, or pay to upgage, and it was cheaper to just badly inconvenience the SAN-IAD folks?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
And there in lies the rub...

United expects a premium for non-stop fares out of their hubs. Turning them into 1-stops is a disservice to those that have paid extra money. And we are not talking $25 here.
I would be really annoyed to have my nonstop redeye turned into a flag stop, particularly had I paid more for the nonstop vs. say, a horrid connection in ORD.

Originally Posted by TA

Put them on the IAD-CLE RJ flight. What does the fact that it's a RJ matter? If they didn't have the capacity, rebook the pax on OAL flights or have them go the next day.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by exerda
Put them on the IAD-CLE RJ flight. What does the fact that it's a RJ matter? If they didn't have the capacity, rebook the pax on OAL flights or have them go the next day.
Went out 68/70, still would need to find space for 63 more pax.

All things considered, UA was going to have some angry pax. This let them have the least amount of service disruption overall...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Went out 68/70, still would need to find space for 63 more pax.

All things considered, UA was going to have some angry pax. This let them have the least amount of service disruption overall...
No - this let them have the least amount of REVENUE disruption - there are 130 people that wouldn't agree with you...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Didn't BA do this years ago on the LHR-SAN flight and stop in phx? Or something similar to that?
Yes, but it was LAX, not PHX. SAN-LAX-LHR, since the fully fueled plane couldn't take off from short runway at SAN. Took this flight several times.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
No - this let them have the least amount of REVENUE disruption - there are 130 people that wouldn't agree with you...
At most there were 100 pax booked on that IAD-SAN flight. Perhaps even less, though the seat maps aren't available.

Ignoring the finances, would you rather force 65 customers into an overnight delay situation than delay 100 customers by 1 hour?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.