Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

flag stop - san-iad red eye makes "flag stop" in CLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bizzarODog
Obviously it'd dramatically increase elapsed time, but I wouldn't mind a flight that stopped at a few different airports to pick-up/drop-off a few along the way, provided that the turnaround times were relatively short and I didn't have to get off the plane.
I wouldn't mind at all if I got PQS for every 'segment'. @:-)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by vitira
UA has 65 seats SAN-IAD, and that many pax which need to go to SAN-CLE. Not enough to justify an extra section (if you can somehow find the equipment and crew and the repositioning works). If you don't get the pax out, you have to find them all seats the next day and maybe put them all up in a hotel. So you put in a flag stop. Slight inconvenience for IAD pax, getting in at 6:30 instead of 5:30. Appease the IAD pax with drink chits or some miles or $25 vouchers for the inconvenience, you still save a lot versus a bunch of hotel rooms. Doubt that happened except for those who complained.

Important question: if you're on SAN-IAD, can you claim miles for SAN-CLE-IAD with 500 minimum for CLE-IAD?

Apparently the SAN-CLE route has been flown during the holidays as recently as 2013.
Originally Posted by skylane
OP here...

CLE passengers were suppose to fly SAN-DEN-CLE. The SAN-XXX went mechanical and they would have missed their DEN-CLE. Instead, UA decided to hold them in SAN and put them on this SAN-CLE-IAD flight.

There was no indication that this extra leg was put on. The only way I realized was when I mentioned that the Dulles flight wasn't on the departure board.

Arrived into Dulles an hour late. We didn't refuel in Cleveland which was convenient. No word of compensation. I did pay $300 extra to fly the non-stop versus a connection on AA.
And there in lies the rub...

United expects a premium for non-stop fares out of their hubs. Turning them into 1-stops is a disservice to those that have paid extra money. And we are not talking $25 here.

(Same kind of thinking that cancels flights 3 days beforehand to consolidate schedules....There is a thread somewhere about United doing that).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:16 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It has always been a curious question in my mind how much pax are willing to pay for the nonstop or not. (though in this case the question is about a totally unscheduled and unexpected stop)

Specifically, for example, on a route like SFO-SYD where 2/3 of the plane is fuel, imagine how much more cargo capacity and fuel savings they could achieve if they stopped in Hawaii (as I imagine they used to do). Passengers wouldn't have to get out of their seats, but there would be a 45 min stop. Would you be willing to save $100 if UA did this?

I guess it's a tradeoff of many factors, like additional crew time, airplane cycles, schedule, passenger willingness to have speed vs. cost, etc. but you wonder if sometimes it's clearly worth it.

Last edited by TA; Oct 6, 2015 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skylane
OP here...

CLE passengers were suppose to fly SAN-DEN-CLE. The SAN-XXX went mechanical and they would have missed their DEN-CLE. Instead, UA decided to hold them in SAN and put them on this SAN-CLE-IAD flight.

There was no indication that this extra leg was put on. The only way I realized was when I mentioned that the Dulles flight wasn't on the departure board.

Arrived into Dulles an hour late. We didn't refuel in Cleveland which was convenient. No word of compensation. I did pay $300 extra to fly the non-stop versus a connection on AA.
All things considered, this was a smart decision by UA. IAD passengers may feel differently.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines

Didn't BA do this years ago on the LHR-SAN flight and stop in phx? Or something similar to that?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Looks like the cheapest r/t fare is $348 + tax (FQ: LDA14AKS). I'd be pissed if I paid more than $174 + tax that for a nonstop and ended up on that flight.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
It has always been a curious question in my mind how much pax are willing to pay for the nonstop or not. (though in this case the question is about a totally unscheduled and unexpected stop)

Specifically, for example, on a route like SFO-SYD where 2/3 of the plane is fuel, imagine how much more cargo capacity and fuel savings they could achieve if they stopped in Hawaii (as I imagine they used to do). Passengers wouldn't have to get out of their seats, but there would be a 45 min stop. Would you be willing to save $100 if UA did this?

I guess it's a tradeoff of many factors, like additional crew time, airplane cycles, schedule, passenger willingness to have speed vs. cost, etc. but you wonder if sometimes it's clearly worth it.
You're pretty far off on your "2/3 of the plane is fuel" estimate, it's more like 1/3.

Just using the planning sheets it doesn't make much sense to split a 6500nm sector into a 4400nm sector and 2100nm sector to save fuel:
Assuming a 150t empty 77E with a 38t payload yields about 113t fuel load for the 6500nm sector. Same plane same load 4400nm needs 75t fuel, 2100nm needs 38t fuel, for a total of... 113t fuel. You can reuse some fuel (reserve, contingency) from one flight to the next, but there's no big savings, maybe 10%.

There's some revenue opportunity there, since you can't take a full 65t payload out to 6500nm, you're restricted to about 50t. But the nonstop also gives you a revenue premium so it would require a closer analysis to see if there's a worthwhile advantage there.

Last edited by mduell; Oct 6, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the 1970s, the Australia-USA routes did stop in Hawaii. Many passengers would take a several day stopover to minimize jet lag at their destination. I'm thinking especially of QF flights. [In fact, I know people now who will routinely do a stopover at SIN between the USA east coast and Australia.]
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:14 pm
TA

Originally Posted by mduell
You're pretty far off on your "2/3 of the plane is fuel" estimate, it's more like 1/3.

Just using the planning sheets it doesn't make any sense to split a 6500nm sector into a 4400nm sector and 2100nm sector to save fuel:
Assuming a 150t empty 77E with a 38t payload yields about 113t fuel load for the 6500nm sector. Same plane same load 4400nm needs 75t fuel, 2100nm needs 38t fuel, for a total of... 113t fuel. You can reuse some (reserve, contingency) from one flight to the next, but there's no big savings, maybe 10%....
ok, I stand corrected on the fuel load -- pretty badly.

But regarding your second point -- would not splitting the legs into 2 allow an increase in payload? (for a relatively small increase in total fuel required?)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All about best for the most. The alternative was overnighting 65 people (at the cost of hotel + food) and still having to find seats the next day (not a guarantee) vs. mildly inconveniencing the rest.

IAD pax who write in will likely get a few miles tossed their way as a customer service gesture, but there is no compensation due for a relatively short delay (which might be even less if the winds are better than generally calculated for).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
But regarding your second point -- would not splitting the legs into 2 allow an increase in payload? (for a relatively small increase in total fuel required?)
Sure, but every additional pound of payload is going to cost you at least 2 pounds of fuel on this mission; e.g. adding 25t payload (38t to 63t) is going to cost you 33t on the 4400nm leg and 30t on the 2100nm leg for a total of 63t.

So you can carry an extra 10t on the 4400nm+2100nm mission vs 6500nm mission, in exchange for burning 25t fuel.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Love this thread and how it demonstrates that UA will absolutely do what is better for itself financially then do the right thing - for all those apologizing for UA doing what's right for passengers i lol at you - they did what they could to save money without any regard for any passenger....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I believe that WN used to do flag stops for irrops recovery...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Didn't BA do this years ago on the LHR-SAN flight and stop in phx? Or something similar to that?
Yes. AFAIK it was only on the return so the inbound was LHR-SAN but the outbound was SAN-PHX-LHR. This was dues to the length of runway in SAN. The 744 could land with mostly empty tanks but didn't have the roll out to take off with enough fuel to make it to LHR so they stopped in PHX for passengers and fuel. Not a problem now with a 772 on LHR-SAN and LHR-PHX being it's own route.

OK back to UA.

The SAN-IAD used to be a very frequent red-eye route for me. If I had booked a trip and got to the airport to find out that my one stop connection to the East coast via IAD was now a two stop I'd be a little red. Maybe because it's a red-eye and it's not a flight where I'm going to read a little more of my book, or watch another episode of what ever but I'd be annoyed. Hopefully IAD passengers receive some type of compensation and those connecting had the option to connect via CLE.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:29 pm
TA

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Love this thread and how it demonstrates that UA will absolutely do what is better for itself financially then do the right thing - for all those apologizing for UA doing what's right for passengers i lol at you - they did what they could to save money without any regard for any passenger....
What *is* the right thing?

Not disturbing the planned schedule and expected arrival time of a planeload of passengers? Or is it about getting 65 passengers to Cleveland with less disruption to them? Or are you suggesting there was a better way that would satisfy these both ideals with some cost that UA was unwilling to incur?

"The right thing" is not always clear cut?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.