Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Catbert10
True...a box typically has a guaranteed delivery date.
OK, not that I've got time to read ALL 30+ pages, there is a lot of humor here, and this one gets a big ^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by grandpiper
I can certainly second this opinion. I spent many years as a customer of the railroad industry. If you think the airlines have little competition then you are in for a treat in the rail business as there was (is) typically zero competition if you wanted to ship by rail.

Nevertheless, CSX was by far the most customer-friendly and operationally efficient railroad I dealt with, and this was not because they were the best of an otherwise sorry lot (at the time) but because they were really good and they would have stood out in any industry. They really did make their trains run on time.
My uncle retired from CSX several years ago. Not sure he worked under this guy's tenure, but he always seemed to really like his job and work environment, for whatever one man's opinion is worth.

Still, large corporations don't usually change overnight even when there is the intent to do so. Time will tell.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Am I the only one who read the new guys first name and thought of Oscar Z Acosta?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
BUSTED!!: If you don't control the stock in UA, don't let the power go to your head

Sorry Jeff, Nothing Personal, Just Business!

At the time the story broke in the Press about UA "favoring" the Port Authority Chairman by laying on a once-a-week flight from EWR-Columbia (so he could more easily visit his vacation home on the weekends), I was more interested in UA's "bullying" action against FFs selling their System-Wide Upgrades instead of giving them away. (False Economy IMO.)

At least 1 person at UA was tracking eBay, Craig's List and other site's ads for people selling these SWU's. I commented at the time that while these SWU policemen (gender neutral) were busy stripping FFs of ALL their UA MileagePlus benefits, Jeff and the boys at the top of UA were busy "favoring" the Port Authority Chairman!

Let me just add 3 points, keeping in mind that I've owned businesses in the U.S. since 1976 (Yes, Mr. Trump, I too have a pretty good idea how Big Business works):
1. One sees United Airlines ads all over this site (Viz. UA directly or indirectly is a client of flyertalk.com).
2. My "SWU post" was immediately deleted by (I presume) a Moderator here.
3. I didn't take it Personally, It's Just Business!!!

P.s. I wonder how the UA SWU Policemen feel about the business integrity of their company, NOW!?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
That observation should in fact set expectations. United isn't going to change strategy and try to complete with Emirates now. Passengers will, in fact, be treated like cattle and other livestock. The only thing we can reasonably hope for is that the lying will stop, the cheating will stop, and they will start delivering on their promises. Execution. This is the only hope that I have for Munoz. United will likely continue to be my airline of last choice, unless they actually restore the value proposition for seeking status, but if I can count on them to do what they promise to do, and I feel safe flying with them, then I'll fly with them when they are the best choice.

Sadly, we have already heard from Oscar. He wrote a letter to employees that was published online. In that letter, he said he will spend his first 90 days meeting with employees to figure out what he should do next. The fact that he has no idea what to do next, despite being on the board for so long, is telling.

To start with, he needs to fix operations, and get the bloody airline working reliably. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure that out that operational competence is the most important priority.

I think the culture of customer hatred will naturally start to abate if he sets a pro-customer tone from the top. United's employees, for the most part, never wanted to push away their customers, they were ordered to do so from the top under threat of firing.

Then, we may be left with a reliable livestock transporting logistics organization, and sadly, I think that's the best we can hope for in the future. United will always suck and will probably always be a second or third rate airline because I think Jeff's destruction is irreversible at this point, but if they can get operations right, then people will fly them, because at the end of the day, what we need most is to get to our destinations, safely, and on time. Fixing horrible capital decisions that Jeff made will probably take a decade And, Mileage Plus isn't coming back. I just don't see that.

Looking at Oscar's background, it does seem he might be able to at least do that. I hope his first 90 days are focused on how to achieve operational competence.

I think the level of disdain the $mi$ek had for customers is symptomatic of his arrogance, narcissism, and general hatred for other human beings.

The fact that Oscar comes from a more humble operational background gives me hope that he will have more respect for both employees and customers and other stakeholders.
United is hardly a lost cause, it has the bones of being able to do great things, most of United's problems are attitudinal in nature.

1) Stop acting like you're at war with your customers
2) Reset relations with the Unions, and unify the CO and UA sides
3) Make Ops Reliable, and empower agents to do everything within reason to accommodate disserviced passengers.
4) Fix Onboard service so people aren't starving in F.
5) Rebrand the RCC's from something less bland than "Club", accelerate the physical refresh, add more real estate at hubs that need it, and make the F&B more worthy of paying customers. (Go visit the Amex Centurion lounges to see what you should strive towards.)
6) Fly on your competitors and partners. If you want to eliminate F, you better see how far behind C is, and bring it up to snuff.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by entropy
United is hardly a lost cause, it has the bones of being able to do great things, most of United's problems are attitudinal in nature.

1) Stop acting like you're at war with your customers
2) Reset relations with the Unions, and unify the CO and UA sides
3) Make Ops Reliable, and empower agents to do everything within reason to accommodate disserviced passengers.
4) Fix Onboard service so people aren't starving in F.
5) Rebrand the RCC's from something less bland than "Club", accelerate the physical refresh, add more real estate at hubs that need it, and make the F&B more worthy of paying customers. (Go visit the Amex Centurion lounges to see what you should strive towards.)
6) Fly on your competitors and partners. If you want to eliminate F, you better see how far behind C is, and bring it up to snuff.
I'm sure the FT community can/will debate forever what the priorities should be but 1-3 are easy to do and I think this is consistent with priorities I am advocating.

I don't think 4-6 are important nor will Oscar focus on them.

This is where we diverge. I think we're looking at a reliable livestock operation as best case outcome.

They've ceded premium business to competitors and I don't imagine them trying to win that back.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Continental is still in control and that isn't going to change...

What might change is the lying and cheating and narcissism.
That plus nominal operational reliability would be a major improvement, and good enough for me in the near term.

My next booked United trip is in early November and for the first time in three years I'm more curious than filled with dread. Hoping for some karma change on the front lines.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Unfortunately Jeff will probably never get the credit he will deserve if UA continues the upward track its on... Munoz has a chance to reap the rewards of the previous leadership--not an uncommon thing with large corporations.
Assigning Smisek "credit" for United's "upward track" is like giving Nixon and Kissinger credit for bringing peace to Southeast Asia after years of punitive covert bombing and general mass destruction. Smisek's team made United a gibbering basket case before recent slight progress.

Originally Posted by Colo1K
I am grateful to Jeff Smisek - not!

He released this former longtime !K from the shackles that bound me to my beloved classic UAL...
Smisek's main legacy on the customer / loyalty side is opening their eyes to the virtues of other airlines. It was no coincidence that Virgin America began making consistent money as Smisek's United degenerated. It will take years to coax some of them back.

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Am I the only one who read the new guys first name and thought of Oscar Z Acosta?
As your attorney I advise you to aim for 86% OT.

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
worst news I've had in about 6 months: LH canceled all SH morning flights today. I connect at LH SH through FRA next week and week after. Pilots threaten more strikes this week and next. (Wish me luck)

BUT this was immediately countermanded by the best news I've had in years: Smisek buh-bye. It can only get better.
mp2

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
I had a very interesting experience yesterday. My flight was supposed to depart at 5:20 Eastern. At around 5:10, I hear loud cheering in the FA Galley, and all FAs started dancing with joy and hugging everyone. Loud noises, laughing and overall a very cheerful mode. It was unusual. That made me check the news and I saw that Smisek had resigned.

I spoke to a couple of FAs on the flight, and they were excited and thrilled with the prospects of a new CEO coming in and Smisek going out
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by mp2
I had a very interesting experience yesterday. My flight was supposed to depart at 5:20 Eastern. At around 5:10, I hear loud cheering in the FA Galley, and all FAs started dancing with joy and hugging everyone. Loud noises, laughing and overall a very cheerful mode. It was unusual. That made me check the news and I saw that Smisek had resigned.

I spoke to a couple of FAs on the flight, and they were excited and thrilled with the prospects of a new CEO coming in and Smisek going out
I'll take happy UA employees - even if ir only lasts a day - that's a day more that where we were Monday...!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by entropy
Funny you mention this as I know that some employees have been sent to fly on other carriers to check out the competition. Sadly if you don't do anything with this information the investment you made is worthless.

On another note, I was just comparing prices to see how competitive things were. I know airfares are fluid and always changing, but i checked like for like dates and here is what I saw.

The route I was checking was SFO-HKG where there are three carriers who fly this route, UA, SQ, CX.

Economy $734 (UA), $799 (SQ), $967 (CX)
Business $5634 (UA), $5634 (SQ), $6544 (CX)
First $12082 (UA), $13084 (SQ), $15674 (CX)

I know there are often corporate discounts involved, but as one can see for Economy and Business Class, SQ is quite competitive while CX is significantly more. If someone is going to pay for Economy/Biz class fares, United seems like they are at a big disadvantage given their hard product lags behind.

I just want to make it clear, that I chose a random date in the future and didn't look for dates where the spread would put UA at a disadvantage.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
Yes, but looks like no more tickets for SMI/J

How long before new guy is MUN/O?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Late to the party, but:

1. Moderators - puleeeeez let me post my 'ding dong the witch is dead' video - it really is fitting this time

2. I forecasted this months ago and I will continue to forecast a criminal trial is ahead for Smisek and some of his minions - the absolutely mind-numbing pompous arrogance demonstrated by this man is beyond pale

3. Yet again, we have another failure from the United Board. I hope the appointment of this Oscar fellow is temporary while they hunt for a proper CEO with appropriate experience and industry knowledge, but promoting from within their own ranks and assigning someone with absolutely no relevant experience or service industry acumen means it's business as usual for customers and employees alike - the tumor might be gone, but the cancer remains and that cancer is the board of directors. Nothing will change until we are rid of them

4. My sympathies to at least two fellow forum members who must be wallowing in tears today - you know who you are

5. Again, I will expect and plan for absolutely no positive or substantiative changes in product, service or experience - the person in charge now is a single personification of the Board in general. I am more interested in who will be vetted for the permanent role - and perhaps we can hope and wish for someone like Alan Mulally - while he too has no relevant experience, his innovative style and laser focus on customer experience and satisfaction along with quality achievements would make him an ideal candidate to consider
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Crikey, some people are not ever going to be happy. Smisek has gone, the guy has not been in position for more than 24 hours and already he is getting stick. Just rejoice in the fact that Smisek has gone and give the guy time to find his feet. I am sure he will not hang about.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
Jeff got $mi$eked. Now this is a change United flyers will like.
Best post in this thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.