Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Jeff Smisek Out;Oscar Munoz new Pres/CEO,Henry Meyer non-ex Chair;FBI case closed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA Executive Premier, CO Gold
Like the food that United serves....

This does not pass the smell test!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clawback's coming?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/10/us...er=rss&emc=rss
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
I just signed it.

I would consider rescinding my signing if he returns the money he's stolen from me by taking my money and promising certain benefits then keeping the money and not delivering the benefits promised.
You mean like paying a W fare class with hopes of using an upgrade and then being denied? That feels good for the 12+ hour TPAC when you are sitting in E+ after paying a few hundred dollars for the chance.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
This explains why Jeff was shown the door.

In settlement negotiations, companies will not be able to obtain credit for cooperating with the government unless they identify employees and turn over evidence against them, “regardless of their position, status or seniority.” Credit for cooperation can save companies billions of dollars in fines and mean the difference between a civil settlement and a criminal charge.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

I'm reminded of one of the official CO dos a few years ago (I don't remember which year). Smisek and Larry Kellner were giving the presentation about all the service investments and improvements CO was making, including some at EWR. Smisek, however, cautioned people not to count on EWR happening anytime soon because, "Those of you who watch the Sopranos know how business is done in New Jersey." I remember that very clearly because I lived in NJ at the time.

Amazing what brought him down.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by username
However, new routes are getting established (hopefully none in response to government official's personal needs ), ...

If we compare the United now with the United 2 years ago, a lot of things have gotten better. (Some might argue how much worse can things get.) So, it is pretty unfortunate for Smisek that he is out when things are on the up trend.
I think many on this board deeply regret the loss of the popular NRT-BKK route.

Many things have gotten worse with United in the last 2 years.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:04 pm

An article in tomorrow's WSJ: resignations were a suprise to Feds, were a result of United's internal investigation, and weren't a result of the board's concern about Smisek's performance.

This pokes a big hole in the balloon of those giddiliy celebrating Smisek's failure and raises significant concerns about United's actions with the Port Authority. I think it'd be better if one were let go for failure to perform...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think many on this board deeply regret the loss of the popular NRT-BKK route.

Many things have gotten worse with United in the last 2 years.
indeed! closing the BKK station really hurt. and NRT-X for many X. and seattle downsize (delta about to have 200 flights a day from seatac).

the key question is whether things will be seriously improved or it's delta time.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
An article in tomorrow's WSJ: resignations were a suprise to Feds, were a result of United's internal investigation, and weren't a result of the board's concern about Smisek's performance.

This pokes a big hole in the balloon of those giddiliy celebrating Smisek's failure and raises significant concerns about United's actions with the Port Authority. I think it'd be better if one were let go for failure to perform...
1. When you say "weren't a result of the board's concern about Smisek's performance" do you mean to say you have insider information proving that nobody on the board had concerns about Smisek's performance? Or, do you mean to say that the board did have concern about Smisek's performance, but that was not the reason for this action?

2. Are you asserting that this was a voluntary resignation or a forced resignation (i.e. using the word resignation where firing would be more truthful)? Did Smisek resign or was he forced to leave?

3. From what I've read thus far, I understand there are three possible interpretations for what happened:

a. It was business as usual, or
b. It was a shakedown (illegal action) by the Port Authority, or
c. It was a bribe (illegal action) by United Continental Holdings

If the internal investigation was focused on this issue and only this issue, and they concluded that the chairman's flight was (a) or (b) then there would be no reason to force Smisek out.

One can only conclude then, that the internal investigators looked at the evidence and concluded that (c) was the proper characterization of the actions. Because, only with (c) would it make sense to fire Smisek if the reason for firing was in fact only due to the chairman's flight and no other factor (i.e. pathetic performance).
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the quote:

Tuesday’s executive exits from United were a surprise to federal authorities pursuing the investigation, who weren’t aware of any action on the Samson probe in recent weeks that would have triggered the shake-up, a person familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.

United has said only that the three executives stepped down as the result of an internal company investigation that was prompted by subpoenas in the federal probe. Another person familiar with the situation said on Tuesday that Mr. Smisek’s departure was strictly related to what the company found in its probe, and wasn’t driven by board concerns about Mr. Smisek’s overall management performance.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/united-o...rts-1441846768

Couldn't care less why the loser was fired. UA has underperformed DL, AA and WN since March, 2012. Revenue has grown much more slowly than at the peer group and profits have lagged. His tenure was filled with numerous mis-steps that can be laid at his feet. He's an arrogant narcissist and a poor CEO. Good riddance to worthless garbage.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here's the quote:

Couldn't care less why the loser was fired. UA has underperformed DL, AA and WN since March, 2012. Revenue has grown much more slowly than at the peer group and profits have lagged. His tenure was filled with numerous mis-steps that can be laid at his feet. He's an arrogant narcissist and a poor CEO. Good riddance to worthless garbage.
I found this interesting: "Discussions with the Port Authority intensified during Mr. Samson’s tenure. United’s main complaint was the fees it paid at Newark" So that Newark is a rat hole was not the issue, Jeff just wanted to pay less. So predictable, so true to UAfkaCO form.

And this interesting point:

"Mr. Samson, an ally and appointee of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, wanted to strike a deal with United, the people said, while New York officials didn’t want to cut the airline a break."

And the quote fly talks about that it was not "performance related" is from someone "familiar with the situation." Gee that about ends the discussion right?....

+1000 on the rest of your post.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
1. When you say "weren't a result of the board's concern about Smisek's performance" do you mean to say you have insider information proving that nobody on the board had concerns about Smisek's performance? Or, do you mean to say that the board did have concern about Smisek's performance, but that was not the reason for this action?

2. Are you asserting that this was a voluntary resignation or a forced resignation (i.e. using the word resignation where firing would be more truthful)? Did Smisek resign or was he forced to leave?

3. From what I've read thus far, I understand there are three possible interpretations for what happened:

If the internal investigation was focused on this issue and only this issue, and they concluded that the chairman's flight was (a) or (b) then there would be no reason to force Smisek out.

One can only conclude then, that the internal investigators looked at the evidence and concluded that (c) was the proper characterization of the actions. Because, only with (c) would it make sense to fire Smisek if the reason for firing was in fact only due to the chairman's flight and no other factor (i.e. pathetic performance).
(d) Smisek was underperforming, and they were looking for an excuse to get rid of him and a few of his cronies. The ongoing investigation revealed that UA might have bribed the Port Authority, and though they couldn't be 100% sure, they used this as an excuse to get rid of Smisek by making it look like (c) was the real reason.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:00 pm

I don't think Smisek was fired. If he was, his compensation package would look different. Reading between the lines of various press reports, he resigned because an internal investigation revealed United behaved inappropriately with the Port Authority. What that means, we don't yet know.

The continued attempts to make this about revenue performance are misplaced and, quite frankly, childish. Particularly when they're supported by gross exaggeration of facts.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I don't think Smisek was fired. If he was, his compensation package would look different. Reading between the lines of various press reports, he resigned because an internal investigation revealed United behaved inappropriately with the Port Authority. What that means, we don't yet know.

The continued attempts to make this about revenue performance are misplaced and, quite frankly, childish. Particularly when they're supported by gross exaggeration of facts.
He is gone in a single day, replaced by someone on the board, no notice, no transition. Yeh, right, he decided to quit, and the board was so sorry to see him go... bo ho ho.

99% of folks on this board are interested to find out that he was a crook, as well as an incompetent narcissist.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 2015 at 10:38 pm Reason: Stay to the issues, not the other posters
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Now that $mi$ek is gone I have to remember not to give the finger to the seatback screen at the beginning of the safety video.
Funny, I was on a pmUA 777 flight yesterday a couple of hours after the news broke.
As I mentioned it to a FA, he smiled and said:" And we are not showing the introduction video anymore!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.