Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Starman
There have been some comments upthread that the relocation of the Premier area is a major inconvenience for status passengers arriving on BART or parking at Garage G, as they now must traverse almost the entire length of T3 landside, fighting crowds along the way and perhaps carrying baggage, to reach the new location for checkin for those with status. I did an interesting experiment this morning on my SFO departure. Although I am 1K, 2MM, always pre-check, and CLEAR, I decided to do an inverse-DYKWIA and am amazed how well it worked. Parked in Garage G, walked through int’l to start of the new (non-status) T3 check in area. This was a weekday morning at 0730 and the airport was definitely busy. I had baggage to check. Arriving at the new general checkin (first UA checkin one now encounters from the BART/Garage G), I noticed that although the area was crowded with Kettles (OMG, don’t touch me!), there were a half-dozen vacant Chickens. We know, the Chickens scare Kettles. I walked right up to one, generated a bag tag, and the contract worker took it instantly. And yes, they have Priority luggage tags even at the non-status area. Walked about 10 steps to CLEAR (yes, there’s a CLEAR entrance in the “new” general area). I’m the only one there, cleared in seconds, and was walked to the TSA pre-check ID checker. Took me immediately despite long line. Walked to pre-check belt, only one there (time now about 0732 on a weekday!) and through in seconds. Total time from entering UA non-status lobby to emerging airside at Gate 73, including bag check, on a weekday at rush hour, perhaps 2 minutes, perhaps a bit less.

Of course I might have been lucky, and of course YMMV, and of course, pre-check lane hours seem to be unpredictable. However, this is an intriguing counterpoint to the drama of “now I have to walk a mile to the new Premier area if I’m arriving on BART.” The thing about Kettles is that they often don’t use Chickens, seldom have CLEAR, and are at least supposed to get pre-check less often than status flyers. Yet the new general area accommodates all those perks, and, they’re a lot less crowded than those same perks in a status area. Consider mingling with the Kettles if you are arriving from BART or Garage G!
Will give it a try in a couple weeks!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I walked right up to one, generated a bag tag, and the contract worker took it instantly. And yes, they have Priority luggage tags even at the non-status area. Walked about 10 steps to CLEAR (yes, there’s a CLEAR entrance in the “new” general area). I’m the only one there, cleared in seconds, and was walked to the TSA pre-check ID checker. Took me immediately despite long line. Walked to pre-check belt, only one there (time now about 0732 on a weekday!) and through in seconds. Total time from entering UA non-status lobby to emerging airside at Gate 73, including bag check, on a weekday at rush hour, perhaps 2 minutes, perhaps a bit less.
Thanks for the report. Hoping your experience is the norm.

We know, the Chickens scare Kettles.
We do? And how did this become an "us" vs. "them" issue? I don't care whether the crowd I'm fighting through is elites or non-elites, it's simply the number of bodies in the way that causes the problem.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Consider mingling with the Kettles if you are arriving from BART or Garage G!
I'm curious, if you're traveling domestic, why do you park in Garage G? Is it the extra $8/day?

I always park on either the top or bottom deck of the domestic garage and walk across the bridge or through the tunnel, and I wind up not far from the new Premier check-in (actually closer than the old Premier area).

Greg
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Passing through last weekend, it also appears that the new AMEX Centurion Lounge is about ready to open.

The entrance to the Centurion is air side, by the way.
The airside thing might be a mixed blessing depending on the terminal you're in...is it possible to get from the international terminal (A gates) to the Centurion lounge without having to go through security again?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
is it possible to get from the international terminal (A gates) to the Centurion lounge without having to go through security again?
No, not from A (although I think they're building some sterile corridors in connection with the ATC tower construction that might make it possible).

Greg
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The airside thing might be a mixed blessing depending on the terminal you're in...is it possible to get from the international terminal (A gates) to the Centurion lounge without having to go through security again?
No -- only G/F/E are connected airside.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:09 pm

I park long term, the shuttle bus drops you off in front of door 10 (same for Lot D).

So, Sunday evening I walked from door 10 all the way back to door 2 (I did survive), to find precheck open (at 9:55 PM). Longish premier security line, just me in precheck and through in 30 seconds.

Then, to find my flight had been switched to a 772 (3 class). Although 1st on the list, since I had SDC'd to this flight late, I had not received the CPU ahead of time.

The words we all love to hear, 'would you like to move up to a seat in business class?'. Slept for 95% of the flight in the lie flat with a nice pillow and blanket, which made my Monday far better than it would have been otherwise.

Well, considering a majority (how large a majority, I won't guess) of elite / high status / presumably higher net worth fliers are coming through T3, it only makes sense for AMEX to build their lounge here.

Also tweaks their non-partners UA and chase - an extra bonus for AMEX.

I am sure alot of research went in to where they should put this lounge, and I am certain there are sound financial reasons they selected this location.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Well, considering a majority (how large a majority, I won't guess) of elite / high status / presumably higher net worth fliers are coming through T3, it only makes sense for AMEX to build their lounge here.

While I agree that T3 is likely the best place for the AMEX lounge, I don't think it's a safe assumption that a majority of high net worth flyers come through T3.

Recall that UA has less than 50% market share at SFO. That, and UA's ops are split among both T3 and Int'l G, with Int'l biased toward some of the higher net worth flying.

A plurality, maybe, but not a majority.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:24 am

I park long term, the shuttle bus drops you off in front of door 10 (same for Lot D).
If you are willing to park off airport, I believe the drop is right in front of the new premium access.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by #10
If you are willing to park off airport, I believe the drop is right in front of the new premium access.
That is correct.
No more getting off at the International Term and hiking over to the old premier lobby for the domestic elite traveler.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by greg99
I'm curious, if you're traveling domestic, why do you park in Garage G? Is it the extra $8/day?
from the new Premier check-in (actually closer than the old Premier area).

Greg
Yes, the extra $8 / day adds up if you're there for awhile. Also, usually quite easy to find space there.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:03 am

Yes, the extra $8 / day adds up if you're there for awhile. Also, usually quite easy to find space there.
It depends upon the personal relative importance of $8/day. I'm lazy, so if I'm gone on a one or two day business trip, the extra $8-16 doesn't make a difference to me, particularly because I'm usually either on a 6AM departure and/or an 11PM departure or arrival.

If I'm on a longer personal trip, I've learned that the extra $8 per day is outweighed by the pain from the a$& chewing I get from my wife for either (a) having to schlep with the kids and bags all the way to G, or (b) having to stand with the kids and the bags in arrivals while I go to G and bring the car back.

The cost/pain crossover point is about 8 days or so, and typically if we're gone that long, we're flying international anyway.

It used to be really easy to get space on the upper deck of domestic, but I've been having to walk farther in recent months.

Greg
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by channa
While I agree that T3 is likely the best place for the AMEX lounge, I don't think it's a safe assumption that a majority of high net worth flyers come through T3.

Recall that UA has less than 50% market share at SFO. That, and UA's ops are split among both T3 and Int'l G, with Int'l biased toward some of the higher net worth flying.

A plurality, maybe, but not a majority.
OK, without looking up plurality, I will agree with you.

All of T3, plus all the *A who have easy airside access from international?

UA's 46%(?), plus another 10%(?) from Int'l G.

Plus, with the other options isolated (T1, or T2, or Int'l A only)...

I hope it works out.

Not much of a lounge guy, but kept my Plat card (for this among other reasons) and am looking forward to checking it out.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just used the new premier security location for the first time, and it is a much better experience than the old location. ^^ to UA and SFO.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by unavaca
to the moving of Premier check-in. The current checkin and security areas were ideal for those coming from BART.
Just wanted to followup on this, I've been coming from BART for my past couple trips and have still just used PreCheck at the intl/domestic walkway security checkpoint instead of walking over to the premier access one, and it's been fine at the times I've gone through (possibly better than the premier access precheck lane, judging by the lines there as I've walked past towards my gates). So IMO, current checkin areas are still ideal for those coming from BART.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.