Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

Changes to Check-in areas and security check points in T3 will be implemented beginning on Wed. Oct 15th.

Positions 1 -24 Group Check In, Ticketing and Bag Drop (old Primer check-in area)
Positions 25 - 50 General check-in
Mod-4 New Premier and Corporate Check with self bag tag kiosk (between Term 3-E exit)

F1 (new check point between escalators and Mod-4) Global Services, Premier Customers with PreCheck line
F2 remains general boarding and family lane check point
F3 (current Premier) Security Check will become the general boarding and group check point with PreCheck line

F1 Hours 04:00 - 00:00 4 lanes TSA PreCkeck - Yes (new Global and Premier checkpoint)
F2 Hours 04:00 - 17:30 4 lanes TSA PreCkeck - ??? (current general and family checkpoint)
F3 Hours 04:00 - 00:30 4 lanes TSA PreCkeck - Yes (old Premier checkpoint)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Changes to Check-in areas and security check points in T3 will be implemented beginning on Wed. Oct 15th.

Positions 1 -24 Group Check In, Ticketing and Bag Drop (old Primer check-in area)
Mod-4 New Premier and Corporate Check with self bag tag kiosk (between Term 3-E exit)

F1 (new check point between escalators and Mod-4) Global Services, Premier Customers with PreCheck line
F3 (current Premier) Security Check will become the general boarding and group check point with PreCheck line

F1 Hours 04:00 - 00:00 4 lanes TSA PreCkeck - Yes (new Global and Premier checkpoint)
F2 Hours 04:00 - 17:30 4 lanes TSA PreCkeck - ??? (current general and family checkpoint)
While I suppose we should withhold final judgment until it's all in place, I don't like the sound of this at all (and wonder what the heck UA is thinking?).

They are putting Premier and GS at the very far end of the terminal from BART, the G garage, and International arrivals. This means we will have to cross the entire length of the terminal to reach Premier check-in, security, and/or the self bag-drop. This is at least a 1/4 mile longer walk than the current set-up and a huge hassle when the terminal is crowded due to too many people in a too small space.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ZRH2SFO
Couldn't find any other posts yet, but I just noticed this morning that the lobby nearest the Int. Terminal is all boarded up announcing a new Premium check-in lobby is coming. I guess it's back where it used to be.
I frequently use the Intl (G concourse) security checkpoint. It's very convenient when arriving on Bart, parking in the G garage, and even if you arrive by parking shuttle. They always have a premium line, and precheck is open during certain hours - last I heard until 2.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
While I suppose we should withhold final judgment until it's all in place, I don't like the sound of this at all (and wonder what the heck UA is thinking?).

They are putting Premier and GS at the very far end of the terminal from BART, the G garage, and International arrivals. This means we will have to cross the entire length of the terminal to reach Premier check-in, security, and/or the self bag-drop. This is at least a 1/4 mile longer walk than the current set-up and a huge hassle when the terminal is crowded due to too many people in a too small space.
While I see what you're saying, you could call the glass half full by noting that if you arrive by car on the upper departure level, the Premier/GS will now be the first thing you encounter rather than the last, thereby avoiding inching your way down the curb, avoiding pedestrians, etc.

Of course, the problem there is that inexperienced customers who have no idea what "Premier" means will see that curb first, stop, unload, go to the curbside check, etc., and the skycaps are not going to send them away.

As far as the length of the walk, if you're coming from BART or Garage G, you're going to walk the exact same distance to the gate or UC in the end (unless you're luck enough to have gates 72-75); it's just now you're walking a bit more of it landside than airside.

Last edited by Starman; Oct 12, 2014 at 8:00 am
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:47 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir

Looks like I get to try this on Saturday, Oct, 18th but humor the old bald guy.....

Is the pre-check checkpoint now to the right of the central elevators & stairway (as you face them) or is it down towards T3-E?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
While I see what you're saying, you could call the glass half full by noting that if you arrive by car on the upper departure level, the Premier/GS will now be the first thing you encounter rather than the last, thereby avoiding inching your way down the curb, avoiding pedestrians, etc.....
ditto if you arrive via the parking shuttles.

Presently arriving by parking shuttle, you had to walk back toward the international term and backtrack airside -- especially to the new E gates. In fact it was just about the same to enter the International Terminal, go to the premier security, ....

So for the off airport parking FF crowd, this new area is a big plus.

Originally Posted by goalie
.... Is the pre-check checkpoint now to the right of the central elevators & stairway (as you face them) or is it down towards T3-E?
The new PreCheck is immediately adjacent to the new GS Lobby -- to the far right of the central elevators & stairway as you enter the terminal from the street
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
...The new PreCheck is immediately adjacent to the new GS Lobby -- to the far right of the central elevators & stairway as you enter the terminal from the street
Thanks partner ^ and looks like I'll be using the smoking area closer to T3-E so for all of those who knew where to find me at the far end of T3-F, as they say, I ain't gonna be there no more
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As far as the length of the walk, if you're coming from BART or Garage G, you're going to walk the exact same distance to the gate or UC in the end (unless you're luck enough to have gates 72-75); it's just now you're walking a bit more of it landside than airside.
There's a huge difference between making this walk airside and threading your way through the departures lobby with luggage. I had to do this last month at 7:30 a.m. (long story) and it was a huge hassle. It will be all the worse when you add in all the non-premiers who unload in front of the premier check-in and all the premiers trying to make it in from BART, etc.

Originally Posted by stevneil
I frequently use the Intl (G concourse) security checkpoint. It's very convenient when arriving on Bart, parking in the G garage, and even if you arrive by parking shuttle. They always have a premium line, and precheck is open during certain hours - last I heard until 2.
Yes, but only if you're carrying on. You can't drop bags for a domestic flight at international check-in.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There's a huge difference between making this walk airside and threading your way through the departures lobby with luggage. I had to do this last month at 7:30 a.m. (long story) and it was a huge hassle. It will be all the worse when you add in all the non-premiers who unload in front of the premier check-in and all the premiers trying to make it in from BART, etc. .....
Yeap -- those arriving by BART have had it good while those arriving by auto / parking shuttles / hotel shuttles have had it bad. Now it is switched. Depends on which group you are in -- it is neither good nor bad universally.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, I am flying out tomorrow morning. Tomorrow it will be the same place it has been and this new doesn't go into effect until Wednesday? Right? Tomorrow is same check in area for Premiers, same checkpoint and international end and Clear is still right there? And all this moves on Wednesday?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:28 am

It will be all the worse when you add in all the non-premiers who unload in front of the premier check-in and all the premiers trying to make it in from BART, etc.
I agree this could be a major issue. UA has never been strong with airport signage, and never seems to understand that the vast majority of its customers have no idea what the term "Premier" means, and don't care. Unless they put up huge, multiple curbside signs at the new Premier curbside that say "General United checkin, 100 yards ahead" the curbside skycaps and the Premier counters themselves are going to be flooded with GMs.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:33 am

I agree this could be a major issue. UA has never been strong with airport signage, and never seems to understand that the vast majority of its customers have no idea what the term "Premier" means, and don't care. Unless they put up huge, multiple curbside signs at the new Premier curbside that say "General United checkin, 100 yards ahead" the curbside skycaps and the Premier counters themselves are going to be flooded with GMs.
And it doesn't matter what you tell cab drivers, they almost always drop you at the first available slot. Which will now be right in front of premier check-in.

It will be interesting to see how UA controls access to the premier area, particularly since they are apparently going to the self-serve tagging kiosk approach that they implemented at BOS. Again, should reserve final judgment until we see how it works, but I smell a CF coming.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
UA Premium Lobby at SFO and Security Lines - Information, Experiences, Etc. [Merged]

Kacee, when is your next flight out of sfo? Mine is late November and I'm curious to see what happens these next 4 weeks. I assume yours is oct 17! I agree that this change will be complex for the reasons everyone stated, esp with curbside checkin.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA Premium Lobby at SFO and Security Lines - Information, Experiences, Etc. [Merged]

Flying out of SFO tonight and looks like I'm scheduled out of concourse E.

Is there a security checkpoint by that area now with precheck? Or is it best to use the one I'm used to using (premier checkpoint- near the international terminal)) for tonight?

Looks like I'll get to try the new setup next month.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The GS checkin is in T3, between the E & F gates, so the opposite side of T3 from the International, G gates.
Think how cool it would have been between T3 and G.

You could use the GS lobby for either Int'l or Domestic and close proximity to
either parking entrance.

The place it seems to be is at least closer to the new domestic gates.

s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.