Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to close HNL & DTW reservations office & DTW GS office {work from home option}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to close HNL & DTW reservations office & DTW GS office {work from home option}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You can certainly remove "Rumor" from the title and add HNL GS to it.

Just spoke with a GS agent in DTW. It's all true. They have the option to move or work from home. And United, in their generosity, will not provide them with computers. They will provide them a loan to purchase them. And their hourly rate will go down considerably if they chose that option. How cheap can you get, United?

Huge bummer. Bad move, United. How else can you tick off your elites?
Iluv, just to be clear, ALL home people will get a pay cut? It sort of sounded in your post that if they took a loan for a computer, their pay would be cut through deductions to pay off the loan. Could the person you talked to have meant that? Because a small pay cut might be reasonable, as there is great savings in commuting costs (though why that would matter to United is a mystery), but a "significant" pay cut suggests they are going for something else, like making people quit so they can go to a program of hiring handicapped people to do the work from home and get a subsidy from states?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by dordal
I'm not sure I agree with a paycut ( depends on what 'considerably' is), but the rest seems totally reasonable.

Working from home provides tremendous flexibility; and I don't know of any company that buys employees computers for their homes. Unless the paycut is large, most employees are going to come out ahead financially ( no commuting cost) and will definitely get a lot of lifestyle benefits.

In years past, the option would be 'move or quit', so 'move or WFH' doesn't seem that bad.
I know of one company that provides employees with a computer, but the computer is fairly specialized (and it must be returned when the employee leaves).

I am a bit surprised at the paycut for working at home.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
My company has a large call center business. The cost savings is real estate and all the associated costs with maintaining it. And all those pesky facility management people are no longer necessary.

A good company would not reduce supervisors, and some would actually increase the number if they move some of the agents to their homes. In that industry, it's usually necessary to supervise more closely so CS agents are actually working when they should be.
Yes the supervisory point reminds me of a home based call I had where the agent went to do a rebooking, but forget to mute or something, and all i would hear are a couple of deep breaths during a 7 minute span, before returning with the (basic) answer.

Thought it was a nap.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by NewportGuy
Iluv, just to be clear, ALL home people will get a pay cut? It sort of sounded in your post that if they took a loan for a computer, their pay would be cut through deductions to pay off the loan. Could the person you talked to have meant that? Because a small pay cut might be reasonable, as there is great savings in commuting costs (though why that would matter to United is a mystery), but a "significant" pay cut suggests they are going for something else, like making people quit so they can go to a program of hiring handicapped people to do the work from home and get a subsidy from states?
I don't want to disclose the hourly amount quoted (to protect all parties), but to me (and the agent), it seemed significant. That cut takes place whether they get a loan or not.

Several here say that the cost of the computer is not that great, so it shouldn't be a big deal to the agents. I say that if it is not that great of a cost, why can't United provide them?

And Houston will be the winner here, opening a GS call center.

The TPA agents - a total of two who work from home already - will remain.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Home based agents do make a lower hourly wage (dollars of difference). I shudder at what United will (or won't) be five years from now. This comes as a shock; I feel sorry for people who simply can't move or don't want to move and question whether United is going to offer ALL of these displaced agents the ability to work from home or will the offer be made only to a certain amount of people?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I say that if it is not that great of a cost, why can't United provide them?...
1) Owner (employee) takes care of maintenance/replacement.
2) If owned by UA, problem w/ personal use - if employee owns it - no problem.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:06 am
Suspended

I don't want to disclose the hourly amount quoted (to protect all parties), but to me (and the agent), it seemed significant. That cut takes place whether they get a loan or not.

Several here say that the cost of the computer is not that great, so it shouldn't be a big deal to the agents. I say that if it is not that great of a cost, why can't United provide them?

And Houston will be the winner here, opening a GS call center.

The TPA agents - a total of two who work from home already - will remain.
The pay cut makes no sense then, except perhaps to Ebenezer Smisek. United's costs are significantly lower with no facility to maintain, so cutting wages is simply cruel. So it seems both elite passengers AND employees who provide the front line contact are getting screwed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I don't want to hijack this thread by introducing this, but airline employees paying out of their own pocket for equipment required for their jobs is nothing new.

When I worked reservations at DL, we had to pay for our headphones (with a special jack incompatible with street models), which cost ~$250 each (in mid-1990s US$). The price was deducted automatically from our paychecks in 6 monthly installments.

IIRC, FAs and pilots at most airlines must also pay (fully or partially) for their uniforms (at least 2 sets), as well as be responsible for their cleaning.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:56 am

The pay cut is just United reminding the staff they are nothing but an employee number and not particularly valued. The computer garbage for agents who want to work from home seems like a terrible business decision. Wouldn't you want some majority of your agents to utilize the same computer/OS, have sufficient operating power, security protections, software, and a remote I.T team that has some control of these "workstations?"

Or move from the islands to Chicago.

Man, anyone who has any connections to Hawai'i or has experienced these agents will realize what a loss this is.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
A sign of the times. The days of needing to call someone for reservations is becoming less and less. If costs can be trimmed by eliminating necessary expenses, then the company should be doing it. Good thing that the employee affected have an option to continue working for UA. It's an option that some might actually prefer.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by minnyfly
A sign of the times. The days of needing to call someone for reservations is becoming less and less. If costs can be trimmed by eliminating necessary expenses, then the company should be doing it. Good thing that the employee affected have an option to continue working for UA. It's an option that some might actually prefer.
Is it a good thing for the employee who is forced to take a pay cut and buy their own computer in order to work for United?

Is it a good thing for customers who still need assistance from time to time but won't have access to experienced agents who tell Smisek no thanks to his cheap offer?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
This one is particularly disheartening because it shows so clearly the degree to which current management will sacrifice customer service and satisfaction to save a few bucks.

Not to mention the willingness to callously jettison some its best, most customer-service oriented employees.
I suppose it is pointless to once again post Jeff's statement to Congress about how the merger is going to be great for line employees?

And another nail in the coffin that is labor relations.

Originally Posted by DBCme
The pay cut is just United reminding the staff they are nothing but an employee number and not particularly valued. The computer garbage for agents who want to work from home seems like a terrible business decision. Wouldn't you want some majority of your agents to utilize the same computer/OS, have sufficient operating power, security protections, software, and a remote I.T team that has some control of these "workstations?"

Or move from the islands to Chicago.

Man, anyone who has any connections to Hawai'i or has experienced these agents will realize what a loss this is.
Just more crap. Push the expense of buying/maintaining/replacing computers from the company to hourly employees.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
United is no where close to having reservation systems that do not require calls. Their operation is in the toilet (delays and cancels), their systems do not update in "real-time" and the only way to get help is to call.

This is crappy anyway you look at it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
United is no where close to having reservation systems that do not require calls. Their operation is in the toilet (delays and cancels), their systems do not update in "real-time" and the only way to get help is to call.

This is crappy anyway you look at it.
It's crappy unless you're Jeff or one of his minions who will enjoy fatter paychecks at the expense of employees.

Ebenezer indeed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by halls120
It's crappy unless you're Jeff or one of his minions who will enjoy fatter paychecks at the expense of employees.

Ebenezer indeed.
This is awful news and I hope the people that I've worked with at DTW for nearly a decade will take the option to work from home as losing them would certainly impact my overall experience. They are great folks.

However, the "big bad greedy management vs. poor employees" is really not the right spin here. I see this as yet another move by an ineffective management team to reduce services highly valued by HVFs in an effort to save a dime. In doing so, they will further alienate their best customers, and be left with less revenue. The net-net will be a dime saved, and a dollar lost. Same for removing GF in favor 50+ seat assembly line J cabins. As with all of this stuff, over the long term...it won't pay off.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DBCme
BYOD (bring your own device) is the trend these days. My employer allows that, and frankly, my productivity is way up when I get to choose my own tools.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.