FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United to close HNL & DTW reservations office & DTW GS office {work from home option}
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:24 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
This one is particularly disheartening because it shows so clearly the degree to which current management will sacrifice customer service and satisfaction to save a few bucks.

Not to mention the willingness to callously jettison some its best, most customer-service oriented employees.
I suppose it is pointless to once again post Jeff's statement to Congress about how the merger is going to be great for line employees?

And another nail in the coffin that is labor relations.

Originally Posted by DBCme
The pay cut is just United reminding the staff they are nothing but an employee number and not particularly valued. The computer garbage for agents who want to work from home seems like a terrible business decision. Wouldn't you want some majority of your agents to utilize the same computer/OS, have sufficient operating power, security protections, software, and a remote I.T team that has some control of these "workstations?"

Or move from the islands to Chicago.

Man, anyone who has any connections to Hawai'i or has experienced these agents will realize what a loss this is.
Just more crap. Push the expense of buying/maintaining/replacing computers from the company to hourly employees.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
A sign of the times. The days of needing to call someone for reservations is becoming less and less. If costs can be trimmed by eliminating necessary expenses, then the company should be doing it. Good thing that the employee affected have an option to continue working for UA. It's an option that some might actually prefer.
United is no where close to having reservation systems that do not require calls. Their operation is in the toilet (delays and cancels), their systems do not update in "real-time" and the only way to get help is to call.

This is crappy anyway you look at it.