Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by physioprof
What's weird about being offered an accelerator on an award ticket?
+1, in fact this is the well known cheapest way to get award miles if one needs them.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Opposite of ToD first upfares - ThoD (Thousands of Dollars)

Today I ticketed a coach fare with the intention of upfaring to F via the "Upgrade to First" option on my reservation. My original fare was $458 - S on the outbound and L on the return. I found a round trip first class fare at $710 booking into C and A fare classes. This is inclusive of taxes and combines a WAA07AZN fare basis with an LAA14AXS fare.

However, in trying to "upgrade" my original fare, I'm only offered an upgrade for a bit over $1000 each way or $2146 for a round trip upgrade.

I would gladly pay the $250 for the upgrade to the $710 that I could have booked. In fact, I imagine that I could change my ticket and pay the change fee and still make out better than the $2146 that the website is offering for the upgrade.

Does anyone know what is up or if my best option is to call in a flight change and reticket?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Cancel under the 24 hour rule and just book the F fare for $710.

-RM
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Cancel under the 24 hour rule and just book the F fare for $710.
I'm one of the folks being talked about upthread. I'm only allowed coach fares for domestic travel and I have to book via the corporate Concur employee travel platform.

As also recommended upthread, I called in and changed to F. At first the agent was going to charge me the change fee but waived it after I quoted the "United waives the change fee when changing to a higher cabin" rule.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Smile I routinely up fare after confirmation

I also need to book economy fares with my corporate credit card but after booking I use the web to change flights immediately after the confirmation arrives. I always do my homework regarding the fare basis of front cabin seating before making the original booking. On rare occasions when I have not been abler to rebook/up-fare at the anticipated price, I call in with the information and the agent will find the proper fare. I always use my personal credit card to pay the differential.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lensman
Today I ticketed a coach fare with the intention of upfaring to F via the "Upgrade to First" option on my reservation. My original fare was $458 - S on the outbound and L on the return. I found a round trip first class fare at $710 booking into C and A fare classes. This is inclusive of taxes and combines a WAA07AZN fare basis with an LAA14AXS fare.

However, in trying to "upgrade" my original fare, I'm only offered an upgrade for a bit over $1000 each way or $2146 for a round trip upgrade.

I would gladly pay the $250 for the upgrade to the $710 that I could have booked. In fact, I imagine that I could change my ticket and pay the change fee and still make out better than the $2146 that the website is offering for the upgrade.

Does anyone know what is up or if my best option is to call in a flight change and reticket?
This is the case on almost every ticket I buy. As stated above, most companies require business travelers to buy coach so they can't buy the F. A lot of the people who buy discounted first are vacation people (have you noticed how many families and kids are in first this summer?).

The sad thing is that there are so many fliers in coach with tickets more expensive then most of the first cabin. I've been in coach with a $1400 one way fare and GS people are in first on $300 fares.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by nigos
I also need to book economy fares with my corporate credit card but after booking I use the web to change flights immediately after the confirmation arrives. I always do my homework regarding the fare basis of front cabin seating before making the original booking. On rare occasions when I have not been abler to rebook/up-fare at the anticipated price, I call in with the information and the agent will find the proper fare. I always use my personal credit card to pay the differential.
When you change your flights online immediately after the confirmation arrives, how do you make that change? Do you use the "upgrade my flights" button? Or do you use the "Change Flights" link? If the latter, how do you avoid the change fee?

I'd prefer to make my changes online and avoid talking to anyone.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Always use an online source to check the lowest available F cabin fare for your flight before accepting the online offer - the system has attempted to screw me multiple times to the tune of hundreds of dollars every time, so I need to call an agent and have them manually rebook me into the correct class and collect only the proper fare difference.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
A laughable tale of UA offers for F EWR-PBI

So I am making reservations from EWR-PBI. The N fare is $109.00. I go thru the process to purchase and I am offered to purchase F for 325.00 more. I pass. I am ticketed now and looking at the record and I am offered a Buy Up to F for $469.00. OK I am still passing. So I am looking at the record now and for laughs I look at the upgrade offer and the laugh is good, I can now upgrade for 729.00

Some context. This has all happened in the last 6 hours for a flight in Sept. and F is still available via expert mode and shows the ability to book 9 seats so it's wide open and no seats are booked.

Does UA have some grand plan that I am too dumb to figure out? I have heard of dynamic pricing but seriously?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
What's the price to buy F outright on the flight? Cheaper than your fare + upgrade offer?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
It really bothers me that UA offers buy-ups to elites. I understand their desire to maximize transactional revenue, but this really undermines loyalty.

From my perspective upgrades should be processed by status and within that fare class: Paid>GS>1k>Plat>Gold>Silver>BuyUps>NonRev.

The only exception should be when a UA employee must be on a flight; in that case bump an elite up front and give the employee the E+ seat.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by JBord
What's the price to buy F outright on the flight? Cheaper than your fare + upgrade offer?
Yes. That's the I sad part. My bad I forgot to mention I can buy F outright now for $351.00
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
It really bothers me that UA offers buy-ups to elites. I understand their desire to maximize transactional revenue, but this really undermines loyalty.

From my perspective upgrades should be processed by status and within that fare class: Paid>GS>1k>Plat>Gold>Silver>BuyUps>NonRev.

The only exception should be when a UA employee must be on a flight; in that case bump an elite up front and give the employee the E+ seat.
If that were the case, I suspect they'd either reduce or eliminate F on most routes. I don't have a problem with them trying to sell it. But there are two scenarios reported on this forum that bother me:

1. Trying to sell the upgrade for more than the lowest available F price -- that's just a sneaky way to fleece your customers, hoping they won't check.

2. Non-elites on the same PNR as an elite being offered an upgrade for less than the elite member
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
If you scan the TOD and upgrade offer threads here, you'll see numerous tales of nonsensical/laughable/questionable/(insert whatever adjective you'd like) offers to F that do not follow any rule of logic.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I bet the price to buy FC outright nets you a P-up. In my experience the after-purchase upgrades can't/don't offer P fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.