Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:35 pm

Had an incredible offer today....almost jumped right on it! Booked my fare EWR-SJU, total was around $700 for economy. At check-out, I received the tempting offer to buy Business (since it's SJU route) for only $9,218 more....the F fare was $878.

UA, you make no sense to me.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
For my upcoming regular LGA-ORD r/t, I could have bought F for an add'l $70-$90 or so per segment. 2 hour flight, row 7 or 21, expensing my meals already...not worth it.

Post-purchase, offered the same price.

Go into my reservation now, it's $400-$500 per segment.

Hilarious.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
My understanding is that upfare changes (especially when a cabin change occurs; intra-cabin upfares are a bit of a gray area), do not incur a change fee, so you should still be allowed to just call in and pay the fare diff b/t the published fares, as long as all the routing rules are met.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I think their computer system just can't handle the complexities of fares.

I was just looking at one of my trips and the last leg was a refundable M fare ($689 one way EWR DEN). There were 5 first class seats available and there was no instant upgrade available. Then I did a search on purchasing first class and it was $668, $21 less then what I was paying for coach! I called United and the 1K agent gave me a lecture about how instant upgrades are not available on many flights... I finally told her to I wanted to purchase first class and she said she had to check the fare difference... Came back on the line and said I would get a $21 refund.

United is just depending on people like me that have their asst book trips and don't have time to check the fare options on every leg of a trip.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I think their computer system just can't handle the complexities of fares.

I was just looking at one of my trips and the last leg was a refundable M fare ($689 one way EWR DEN). There were 5 first class seats available and there was no instant upgrade available. Then I did a search on purchasing first class and it was $668, $21 less then what I was paying for coach! I called United and the 1K agent gave me a lecture about how instant upgrades are not available on many flights... I finally told her to I wanted to purchase first class and she said she had to check the fare difference... Came back on the line and said I would get a $21 refund.

United is just depending on people like me that have their asst book trips and don't have time to check the fare options on every leg of a trip.
What exactly were the fare class and rules for the first-class ticket? If the first-class was non-refundable it makes perfect sense it could be cheaper than a refundable M fare.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:18 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Been several times lately that COS/DEN-SEA (or vice-versa) has been ~$100 more to book in First (P) than the cheapest coach fare. Earlier this summer, after buying the coach fare (K), United offered a buy-up for "only" $1800.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by dordal
It makes no sense.
And that pretty much sums up UA's business model.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by roadkit
And that pretty much sums up UA's business model.
To me UA's business model is simple - they assume they have a captive base of travelers that they can count on and therefor they do everything possible to convert non core customers to fly them - it's a classic strategy except they forget we aren't stupid and can see what they are doing - at least for thee folks here on FT.....

For the most part - it is pretty Savvy lol....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Sometimes, when folks from some companies arent allowed to buy First fares for work. So they go the "Buy Economy" + upgrade path.
Unfortunately, they don't invoice the upgrade separately - which makes it difficult for some of us to purchase them (even if we wanted to).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sogboulder
Unfortunately, they don't invoice the upgrade separately - which makes it difficult for some of us to purchase them (even if we wanted to).
Most businesses will allow their folks to expense the Y (or whatever bucket it is) fare, just as they would a hotel bill that includes non-reimburseable items.

If air is being direct-billed to a corporate card, most systems allow a second (personal) card. Whether that is implemented by a particular company is, of course, a different question.,
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Often1
Most businesses will allow their folks to expense the Y (or whatever bucket it is) fare, just as they would a hotel bill that includes non-reimburseable items.

If air is being direct-billed to a corporate card, most systems allow a second (personal) card. Whether that is implemented by a particular company is, of course, a different question.,
My experience with this is mixed - and I can't explain why UA does things the way they do - sometimes I can select a personal card and other times it's not possible....
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by physioprof
What exactly were the fare class and rules for the first-class ticket? If the first-class was non-refundable it makes perfect sense it could be cheaper than a refundable M fare.
The fare rules might be more restrictive on an A fare - not sure. I don't really care about refundable vs. not - I just need to purchase the lowest fare. In this case first was cheaper then the lowest coach for some reason.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

I completely agree with bmwe92fan. Don't forget that the Continental people are running this airline and all they knew was 2 captive hubs. Nothing will change until there's a regime change at UA, and I don't know how likely that is. I've had all those divergent pricing experiences reported in this string. They're all over the board but I'm netting out the target customer is the well healed infrequent traveler. You can tell that they're unsure how to conduct themselves in first class. Typically only 20% of the front cabin is upgraded vs 80% in the past on legacy United. Limited competition and capacity makes this a profitable strategy at least in the short term.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Still better than Kiosks asking if I want to buy an accelerator on an award ticket.....
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Still better than Kiosks asking if I want to buy an accelerator on an award ticket.....
What's weird about being offered an accelerator on an award ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.