Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade offer is higher than buying First outright

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Does anyone have recent experience trying to buy up to P after booking?

Booked a JFK-SFO RT a few weeks ago in coach, P is now available on the return leg and I'd like to buy up to it. The agent said that starting in July, you have to pay the $200 change fee even if you're just paying to upgrade on the same flight.

Is this correct or just a case of hanging up and trying again?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
Does anyone have recent experience trying to buy up to P after booking?

Booked a JFK-SFO RT a few weeks ago in coach, P is now available on the return leg and I'd like to buy up to it. The agent said that starting in July, you have to pay the $200 change fee even if you're just paying to upgrade on the same flight.

Is this correct or just a case of hanging up and trying again?

Thanks!
Hang up, call again...if the agent pushes back, remind them to review GG BUYUP in Shares for the procedure. No change fee, only fare difference.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
... The agent said that starting in July, ...
The old lazy agent standby excuse, "it a recent change .... '
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The old lazy agent standby excuse, "it a recent change .... '
Funny, the more recent the change-as in "I made it up a split second ago-" the less likely it will be "a change you will like."
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
United is at it again. Upgrade offer as soon as purchase was complete was $3,059. I declined. I then went into change seats... and upgrade using BuyUp and see offer for $2,232. uh vey United. Let's get it together.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:27 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
United is at it again. Upgrade offer as soon as purchase was complete was $3,059. I declined. I then went into change seats... and upgrade using BuyUp and see offer for $2,232. uh vey United. Let's get it together.
I always decline the post-purchase upgrade offer, but I leave the browser as is. In another browser, I check the reservation for a lower offer (has to ticket first, of course). If the post-purchase offer is better, I can go back to that browser and "back" into the offer again. (No guarantee this will work for you, of course). If not, you can always try booking the same itinerary again and see if you get the same (or better) post-purchase offer. You can do this several times, if necessary. But remember to cancel all unwanted bookings.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Upcoming RSW-LAS flight on 9/26 (L class). My upgrade offer is $762. Booking a new ticket in First is $475. In what world does this make any sense?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by alanstar
Upcoming RSW-LAS flight on 9/26 (L class). My upgrade offer is $762. Booking a new ticket in First is $475. In what world does this make any sense?
A world in which some business travelers are forbidden by various policies/practices from purchasing F tickets, but can use their own means to upgrade from Y tickets?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 3.01MM, Global Entry, RCC LIFETIME (pd $2k in '90)), HH GOLD, Pan Am Clipper Club Lifetime
Future trip MCO/LAX on 07NOV..... My upgrade offer is $722. Booking a brand new ticket in First is $385. United will not allow ME (1K 2MM) to buy up to the $385 First fare BUT my NO STATUS travelling companions were allowed to upgrade for $168 (fare paid PLUS fare difference). Head still shaking on this one.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lax2jfk2lax
Future trip MCO/LAX on 07NOV..... My upgrade offer is $722. Booking a brand new ticket in First is $385. United will not allow ME (1K 2MM) to buy up to the $385 First fare BUT my NO STATUS travelling companions were allowed to upgrade for $168 (fare paid PLUS fare difference). Head still shaking on this one.
This only makes sense to UA's IT, which is calculating your elite buy-ups based on the Y/B/M "elite upgrade" fare, rather than the much cheaper UP/UPDI that it's offering to non-status pax.

UA has been aware of this "bug" for years and has elected not to fix it. (Although UA Insider at one time told us they were working on it.)
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They figure you're a sucker who will pay more. Kettles are more value shoppers who won't take those higher prices.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You need to call in and have them price the change properly, referencing GG BUYUP
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:08 pm
RNE

A world in which suckers abound.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Killer A-Fares

Yesterday, I booked two transcons for early NOV in L and the cost was 390- RT. I wanted to use RPUs to upgrade and there was no availability, but there was a buy-up available for 859- for a total cost of 1,249-!

Later on the same day, I accidentally entered a search for business class and saw an A-Fare for 475-, so I cancelled my original flights and rebooked my flights in F.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yesterday, I booked two transcons for early NOV in L and the cost was 390- RT. I wanted to use RPUs to upgrade and there was no availability, but there was a buy-up available for 859- for a total cost of 1,249-!

Later on the same day, I accidentally entered a search for business class and saw an A-Fare for 475-, so I cancelled my original flights and rebooked my flights in F.
Lots of great prices on A,P,Z transcon fares lately, although it depends on the specific routes. EWR-SAN has been amazingly cheap, while EWR-SNA is super expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.