Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no nonstops from IAD hub to South Florida (FLL/MIA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no nonstops from IAD hub to South Florida (FLL/MIA)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
The best we can hope for is that another airline/airlines come into IAD and give them competition. When Indy Air did it a decade ago, United crushed them. Today, with Jeffie at the helm, I suspect he'll run away from IAD as soon as he can.
Independence Air crushed itself - it did not need any help from UA.

One of the stupidest business plans in aviation history.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by aoumd
Is there a story behind this? Seems like a glaring omission in the route network.
Yes. Not even UA wants to fly to the hellhole MIA any more than it has to.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:14 am

I wonder if IAD will become more profitable/viable when the DC Metro line gets there? And then more service will be added...You know some time in 2035.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rtalk25
And do Boston pax fly routes like BOS-IAD-Europe? What's the benefit for that route? I'd think most would not like that backtrack, but at the same time I can't see UA giving up IAD-BOS to JetBlue exclusively. It likely won't even give up on CLE-BOS.
Just to add one data point, yes as a BOS based user - I've flown BOS-IAD for TATL flights. When flying to FCO last July - price and timing made it work. Came back via EWR however.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
There are a plethora of threads "why doesn't UA fly from A to B?"

I don't give them much credit for being logical ... but here is the best possible answer to all of those questions:

"Someone at UA made the decision the route was not profitable -- or the aircraft can best be used on other routes. Thus, UA does not fly from A to B."
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
In 2012 I recall EWR/ORD/IAD getting sUA 757s to MIA during the Spring time frame. I actually flew on one from EWR-MIA in April 2012.

How IAD can go from 757s on IAD-MIA to nothing probably means that UA is just short on mainline craft to operate the route.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think it's telling that no airline, including LCCs, operates IAD-FLL today (several tried and failed). A whopping 2 daily flights from AA to MIA confirms the market to South Florida is not out of IAD, but DCA and BWI.
That is only because B6 and WN moved over to DCA. There is no reason for either one to offer service from IAD to most anywhere when both now have a larger presence at DCA and WN has a hub at BWI.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I wonder if IAD will become more profitable/viable when the DC Metro line gets there? And then more service will be added...You know some time in 2035.
I doubt it. The younger professional crowd wants to live in the city or close in VA. So the depend for flights from DCA will likely increase.

But UA continues to decrease flights out of DCA and to downsize aircraft. DL did the opposite - they swapped some slots with US to get more at LGA, but then DL upsized the aircraft out of DCA - many being old 757s.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by cova
I doubt it. The younger professional crowd wants to live in the city or close in VA. So the depend for flights from DCA will likely increase.

But UA continues to decrease flights out of DCA and to downsize aircraft. DL did the opposite - they swapped some slots with US to get more at LGA, but then DL upsized the aircraft out of DCA - many being old 757s.
I'll take a 35 minutes, $35 UberX ride to Dulles for a non-stop any day over connecting and leaving [increasingly on UX] out of DCA.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
From an airline route planning perspective, is IAD a domestic hub or an international gateway? Does UA flow any passengers from the northeast through IAD or do they flow all that traffic through EWR?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by cova

Delta has seemingly downgraded both LGA and DCA to ATL from multiple 757s to mainly MDs. There is a stray one or two a few times a day, but not like it used to be.

UA on the other hand has downgraded so many IAD routes from 757 to 737 and/or RJ its not even funny.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lensman
From an airline route planning perspective, is IAD a domestic hub or an international gateway? Does UA flow any passengers from the northeast through IAD or do they flow all that traffic through EWR?
I think the only international routes flown exclusively from IAD are to the Middle East (Kuwait, Dubai) - not surprising given that I'm sure it's a ton of government contractors who use the route. EWR is definitely the East Coast international gateway.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

Yuppies

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I'll take a 35 minutes, $35 UberX ride to Dulles for a non-stop any day over connecting and leaving [increasingly on UX] out of DCA.
I frequently fly BOS-DCA on UA and almost always book a connection through EWR. More than half the time, I get rebooked on a direct US Shuttle 21xx/20xx whatever between the two direct. Then I pocket the US mileage and the extra UA mileage as well, once I give the call center a ring. All of that is thanks to the UAX EWR-DCA leg which usually runs late, especially end of the day. A lot of the time they pay full price Y for my US ticket as well, and I get one of those Y seats that they make people pay extra for. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
When UA opened the IAD hub in 1986 it's main traffic feed was from the northeast east coast cities and also CLE,BUF, ROC to cities like MIA, TPA, and MCO. Had no international flights. How things change. They should at least serve MIA from IAD.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by keithlavon
Just to add one data point, yes as a BOS based user - I've flown BOS-IAD for TATL flights. When flying to FCO last July - price and timing made it work. Came back via EWR however.
Ditto. Avoiding EWR == Good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.