Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from IAD to WAW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Except that LH are being threatened with another round of strikes from mid-July, so you are less likely to reach your destination within a day or two if you book LH.
That's an excellent point.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol.. yeah maybe before 2012 when they ran ancient 767s.

The LO 787 J experience is leaps and bounds superior to UA.
There are quite a few 787 reviews out there; most are of the "it wasn't as bad as I expected" variety. Fair number of comments on wear to the cabin and nonfunctional equipment. For example . . .

Trip Report Lot Polish 787 Dreamliner Review.

Review Lot 787 New York - Warsaw.

Last thing I want is to fly a short TATL flight, and then have to do euro-biz for a couple hours (from FRA/BRU, etc), when most tired in the morning.
Personally, I actually prefer the Europe connection to the domestic connection, especially if the other option is an EWR/ORD connection (or a Canada transit). But that's totally personal preference.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I usually hate getting to my destination in Europe early in the morning because then it's several hours before I can check into my hotel. Hence why I usually fly US-EU cx-EU destination.

Highly recommend OS if you have that option. Their seat, service, and food is pretty darn good.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Connecting in Brussels is a pain? I thought it would be easier than Frankfurt
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Iuguy16
My one and only BRU connection was a relatively easy. FRA, on the other hand
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
My one and only BRU connection was a relatively easy. FRA, on the other hand
While I agree FRA is often a pain, my couple of times through BRU involved much lengthier walks than expected. At least the walks were fairly straightforward, unlike FRA.

I still prefer MUC and to a lesser degree GVA for European connections, though (GVA just seems to have so little shopping or dining available airside--and the shopping isn't cheap, either at the sole duty free shop). VIE wasn't bad, and LHR seems to be better than I recall it in the past (but still not much fun). All of my other European airports have been O&D vs. connections, so I can't say regarding, say, CDG.

Originally Posted by Cargojon
I usually hate getting to my destination in Europe early in the morning because then it's several hours before I can check into my hotel. Hence why I usually fly US-EU cx-EU destination.

Highly recommend OS if you have that option. Their seat, service, and food is pretty darn good.
Yes, I'd rather be tired on a shorthaul European flight and be able to check in at my hotel than arrive at 7:30am and be tired from the short TATL and be hours away from a chance to rest. At least I can kind of sleep on the plane and in the lounge between flights.

OS is indeed great. I'd take them over UA any day of the week and thrice on Sundays in C. Great food, great service, and a lie-flat seat with aisle access.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Iuguy16
I have yet to have a good experience transiting BRU.

FRA has gotten a lot better since they've removed the intermediate security going from US flights to Schengen flights.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
While I agree FRA is often a pain, my couple of times through BRU involved much lengthier walks than expected. At least the walks were fairly straightforward, unlike FRA.

I still prefer MUC and to a lesser degree GVA for European connections, though (GVA just seems to have so little shopping or dining available airside--and the shopping isn't cheap, either at the sole duty free shop). VIE wasn't bad, and LHR seems to be better than I recall it in the past (but still not much fun). All of my other European airports have been O&D vs. connections, so I can't say regarding, say, CDG.

Yes, I'd rather be tired on a shorthaul European flight and be able to check in at my hotel than arrive at 7:30am and be tired from the short TATL and be hours away from a chance to rest. At least I can kind of sleep on the plane and in the lounge between flights.

OS is indeed great. I'd take them over UA any day of the week and thrice on Sundays in C. Great food, great service, and a lie-flat seat with aisle access.
I recommended the LO flights because they leave the U.S. later and arrive in WAW in early afternoon, allowing you to check-in as soon as you get in. And since you left the U.S. rather late, you have a better chance of actually falling asleep.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:36 pm

I was just there recently. Personally, I would transfer through AMS or YYZ. FRA, LHR, and VIE aren't great transfer experiences in my opinion, and I'm neutral on GVA.

LO is a nice airline; I prefer them to LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.