Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck with an Unused Return

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hertz, Sofitel, Marriot
Stuck with an Unused Return

I purchased round trip tickets for my daughter and her friend to fly out to an event. They both flew out, however, her friend is no longer flying back and will not use her return ticket.

I don't care much about refunding the value or even getting a credit... the friend's family reimbursed me the cost of the original ticket. However, I don't want to pay a change fee nor mess up my daughter's return as both tickets are on the same PNR.

Can I just call and cancel the return on the one ticket? If I never rebook or attempt to use the return flight, would United charge me the change fee?

If I just hold the ticket and let her be a no show, would that be easier or would that impact my daughter on the same PNR as well?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, Emerald Executive, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Zurs3c
However, I don't want to pay a change fee nor mess up my daughter's return as both tickets are on the same PNR.
You can easily put the 2 passengers on separate PNRs by clicking "Separate Traveler(s)" when you view the reservation on United's website. The only time I would think twice about doing this is if one passenger has status, and the other passenger wants to benefit from the first passenger's status.

Also, you might be able to split the reservation _after_ the 2 of them have taken their outbound flight, but I've never tried that before.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason to do anything at all. Presuming that these are two separate tickets (even though one PNR) are not dependent fare conditions, e.g., companion-type ticket depending on flying together, nothing will happen to your daughter if her friend no shows.

The friend's ticket will simply be cancelled when she no shows. Your daughter will not see any change.

Calling to cancel is not worth it unless the return coupon is worth more than $200 (presuming a standard domestic discounted ticket).

Note that if for some reason the flight is cancelled, you can then obtain a refund of the value of the coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.