Wiki Posts
Search

Return via EWR or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Return via EWR or IAD?

Oh, BTW, to make things more complicated, I STILL need to fly UA so that I can use my "To show that we care" certificates that we got from last year's fiasco.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by dukesantos
Our plan is to travel in December, so I may look at IAH due to the possibility of weather conflicts in the north east.

All input is appreciated.
IMO if you are considering connecting in IAH with a toddler because of potential weather conflicts you are really over-thinking this.

If weather is your concern book MCO-FRA on LH and then take a connecting flight or a train to HAM (an use your UA e-certs another time.)

If not that; then book UA MCO-EWR-HAM with a decent amount of a layover time in EWR.

SL
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

In general, IAD is a bit better but also depends on the time of day and in relation to when other flights are coming in.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Thanks for all of the input.
My wife is a Green Card holder, so, GE/pre-check aren't options (i'll be going through the immigration line with her and our toddler).
All input is appreciated.
GC holders can absolutely have GE and pre-check
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I would say take EWR

You'll have 1 less connection
Passport control at EWR has been one of the easier checkpoints, certainly when compared to IAD.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by halls120
If I were arriving in the U.S. with no checked baggage, IAD would unquestionably be my choice. The renovated IAB is twice the size of the old facility and pre-check in the main terminal rarely has a sizable line. Checked baggage? I would avoid IAD like the plague, thanks to the horrid midfield concourse that United and the MWAA refuse to replace.
My experience is checked/non-checked doesn't impact the Charlie Foxtrot at midfield. They all end up at the same place.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Return via EWR or IAD?

Ok, so, let me make sure I have IAD figured out properly.

It's possible that an international flight would arrive at one of the midfield terminals, passengers are then sent to the main terminal for immigration/customs clearance, and then have to go back to a midfield terminal for a connecting flight.

Do I have that right?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:54 am

B

It's possible that an international flight wouvld arrive at one of the midfield terminals, passengers are then sent to the main terminal for immigration/customs clearance, and then have to go back to a midfield terminal for a connecting flight.

Do I have that right?
With no checked luggage...

You have an option to choose midfield or main terminal clearance. You would choose the terminating in DC sign and take a bus to main terminal, then come back through security.

With checked through luggage, you must clear customs and recheck at midfield
As your luggage will be waiting for you at midfield baggage claim

Very rarely, midfield immigration is closed but that's an anomaly
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
Easy, IAD.

EWR is the worst hub ever.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
IAD gets my vote, too. It's not very good, but I'd do pretty much anything to avoid EWR.
+ 1. IAD ^
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

It's possible that an international flight would arrive at one of the midfield terminals, passengers are then sent to the main terminal for immigration/customs clearance, and then have to go back to a midfield terminal for a connecting flight.

Do I have that right?
No.

A UA international flight arrives. Connecting pax transfer through midfield immigration and customs facility (where there is no TSA Pre). Pax for whom IAD is final destination go to the main terminal for immigration and customs. If you are connecting, but do not have checked luggage, you can elect to go to the main terminal for processing, and then re-clear security there (where they have Pre), and then make your way back to the UA departure gates.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:02 pm

I'm planning a trip oversees and I'm a UA customer.

I can fly back into EWR or IAD.

Which airport has the most efficient Immigration and Customs area?
The answer to your question is EWR.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
The answer to your question is EWR.
Because . . . whatever time you could possibly save by going to IAD, you will lose by having to connect in FRA to HAM and vv. Go with the one stop and you're playing with house money on the return, even if EWR is miserable.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by drewguy
Because . . . whatever time you could possibly save by going to IAD, you will lose by having to connect in FRA to HAM and vv. Go with the one stop and you're playing with house money on the return, even if EWR is miserable.
Not to mention that EWR has faster CBP processing than IAD
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile Take the option with least connections

I have connected internationally thru both IAD and EWR and they are both efficient, but I did use Global Entry thru both hubs.

The Midfield Immigrations, Customs and Security Re-Check at IAD can get horrifically backed up for non-GE passengers, especially early in the AM and around 2pm to 5pm. Baggage claim at IAD midfield is also a bit slow but I have never missed a connection because of international baggage re-check. UA gives you plenty of opportunities to miss your connections because of late arrivals at IAD. All in All the midfield Immigrations/Customs is pretty good. DO NOT under any circumstances go to the Main Terminal Immigrations/Customs with or without checked bags.

EWR seems to me a bit quicker on the Immigrations, Customs and Baggage re-check. EWR is the ONLY Port of Entry in the USA that charges arriving international passengers to use the baggage trolleys. So Tackey !! Other than that my experience with EWR international arrivals has been positive. If your are arriving on UA and connecting to UA you won't likely have to use the train to change terminals. Since you are flying to Hamburg and there is a nonstop EWR-Hamburg, I think it is a no brainer to use EWR.

Good luck and please share your post travel experiences.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
DO NOT under any circumstances go to the Main Terminal Immigrations/Customs with or without checked bags.
I am sincerely curious - why would you state this? Timing? Too much hassle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.