Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Return via EWR or IAD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold/Platinum Marriott Gold Elite, HHonors Blue, SA Gold
UK flyer here, on a P1 visa and also have ESTA

as i have both i cant use GE, or the machines. IAD - frustrating, long queues, very warm.
EWR - always been quick, friendly agents.

HTH
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
I agree that EWR is a much nicer airport, once you get past security. On the other hand, I have the impression that you more often have delays due to heavy (air) traffic at EWR, especially outbound ("UA xxx, you are number 13 for departure").

Still, to the OP: If you provide us with some more specific details, we can probably give a better answer. All of the above answers are correct: the posters have experienced EWR and IAD at various times during the day. And that makes a huge difference.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Gold
Return via EWR or IAD

I don't fly as much as others here do, but I think you're asking the wrong question. Generally the government employees for these tasks are about identical.

However what really matters are things like how many planes landing around the same time, organization and flow of the space, etc.

For my money, I'd probably pick IAD. But then again I wouldn't choose an entry point based on any of this ;-)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
EWR hands down for re-entry

Both are similar for clearing , but IAD recheck at peak can be an hour or more.

There are no priority nor Precheck lines on recheck.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
EWR hands down for re-entry

Both are similar for clearing , but IAD recheck at peak can be an hour or more.

There are no priority nor Precheck lines on recheck.
Question -- if you have Global Entry (which comes with Precheck), and you are connecting at IAD, then why not go out into the main terminal and then use the Precheck lane to get back into the gate area? This could be faster than the non-Precheck process in the midfield terminal.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Question -- if you have Global Entry (which comes with Precheck), and you are connecting at IAD, then why not go out into the main terminal and then use the Precheck lane to get back into the gate area? This could be faster than the non-Precheck process in the midfield terminal.
That only works if you have no checked luggage. Checked luggage is directed to the midfield vs IAB FIS depending on the bag tag.

But, this has also arisen in other threads. You have no way of knowing about delays at the IAB, at Pre-Check or other vagaries of the IAD transport system. Those can easily add more time to your journey than simply standing in line at Midfield. This is especially if you are connecting onto a flight departing from the higher C gates.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
No TSA precheck has me avoid IAD. No matter how bad things get, precheck that security is not a reason I miss a flight at EWR. I have no idea why IAD has no TSA precheck at INTL arrivals.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
No TSA precheck has me avoid IAD. No matter how bad things get, precheck that security is not a reason I miss a flight at EWR. I have no idea why IAD has no TSA precheck at INTL arrivals.
IAD only lacks Pre-Check at the Midfield terminal. The easy answer to your question though is, where would you put it? I'm not an architecht, but it seems to me that every square inch of space out there is used for something. So something would have to give.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Often1
IAD only lacks Pre-Check at the Midfield terminal. The easy answer to your question though is, where would you put it? I'm not an architecht, but it seems to me that every square inch of space out there is used for something. So something would have to give.
Personally I think there is room for a third line - premier / tsa precheck - they already have the metal detectors there - it's about managing the line design better - right now there are two lines - both dysfunctional in design....
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
I also believe you get shuttled by moon bus to clear customs in the main terminal building if you are not transiting IAD. This probably is still faster than a bad midfield recheck day.

I was in midfield recheck for 50 minutes yesterday at 1600 hours....
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I were arriving in the U.S. with no checked baggage, IAD would unquestionably be my choice. The renovated IAB is twice the size of the old facility and pre-check in the main terminal rarely has a sizable line. Checked baggage? I would avoid IAD like the plague, thanks to the horrid midfield concourse that United and the MWAA refuse to replace.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
IAD never really bothered me for intl arrivals, but the connections were from GRU, KWI and DXB and thus, the arrivals hall was pretty empty. Best to try to beat the arrival banks, because timing is every-thing at both. Another consideration, depending on the connection time, is that I've also found the UA clubs at IAD to be less congested than those at EWR, with the exception being the evenings when the flights to Europe are departing.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
IAD for less conjested clubs, on-time rating, and security staff over EWR.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Return via EWR or IAD?

Thanks for all of the input.

Here are more details if people have other pieces of advice.

I'm flying MCO - HAM. So, the top options are MCO-EWR-HAM, or, MCO-IAD-FRA-HAM. And then reverse the routing for the return.

My wife is a Green Card holder, so, GE/pre-check aren't options (i'll be going through the immigration line with her and our toddler).

I'm avoiding the codeshare with LH because of a past issue (the UA system screwed up my booking and neither airline wanted to take ownership of correcting the problem).

Our plan is to travel in December, so I may look at IAH due to the possibility of weather conflicts in the north east.

All input is appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dukesantos
All input is appreciated.
Buy direct on LH and avoid the codeshare issues.

Or take the UA one-stop over a two-stop, especially with a toddler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.