Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Question

Terminal A is actually in Elizabeth. Des this apply there as well? I would think not.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
This really comes down to the fact that the city is not able to TAX these guys... that's all that it is.

This move is against living in a capitalistic society, as the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....

Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately? Old POS cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, shredded seats, busted shocks.... need I continue? All of my Uber / Lyft vehicle transports have been very nice, well-kept, nearly brand new cars for the most part.

This situation has the same ring as the huge debacle the city of Paris imposed on Uber a while back.

This is certainly another sad day for those that are out there trying to make an honest living.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately? Old POS cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, shredded seats.... need I continue?
I'm certain you are referring here to the generally dilapidated fleet of Newark taxis and nt NYC taxis which are usually pretty decent.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
"they violate a city ordinance requiring all commercial vehicles to pay to have licenses"

"they have to have medallions and they have to pay the city"

"ride-share companies violate a city ordinance requiring all commercial vehicles to have licenses"

"They also do not pay the city any additional revenue as taxi cabs do to pick up from airport and train station.”

This sounds like a mafia shakedown from the city - it's all about the money and payoffs the city is not getting. I'm surprised they're not taking baseball bats to the knees of Uber drivers...
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
This really comes down to the fact that the city is not able to TAX these guys... that's all that it is.

This move is against living in a capitalistic society, as the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....

This situation has the same ring as the huge debacle the city of Paris imposed on Uber a while back.

This is certainly another sad day for those that are out there trying to make an honest living.
Monopoly is a form of capitalism. Some would say that it is the form most preferred by capitalists. United has certainly shown tendencies to increase its monopolistic behaviour when given the chance - such as in its effort to swap the former PS slots at JFK with Delta for slots at EWR.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....
Yes there is a good reason Uber and Lyft are taking so much business from the existing services.

Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately?
And most don't even know the city anymore . . . they get lost and/or take the wrong route all the time.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm certain you are referring here to the generally dilapidated fleet of Newark taxis and nt NYC taxis which are usually pretty decent.
Yes sir ... I had poor experiences in both NYC and to/from EWR last year in cabs.... really just jumped on the Uber bandwagon late last year and use them regularly now.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Monopoly is a form of capitalism. Some would say that it is the form most preferred by capitalists. United has certainly shown tendencies to increase its monopolistic behaviour when given the chance - such as in its effort to swap the former PS slots at JFK with Delta for slots at EWR.
You are correct in all of these statements. The real issue I have is that the governing body is interfering.... your examples are purely businesses doing business as usual without interference from the local / state / national government.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK

This is a discussion about United's P.S. Service transitioning from JFK to EWR. If you would like to discuss UBER, LYFT and other ride sharing services, please do so here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-...uber-lyft-747/

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Terminal A is actually in Elizabeth. Des this apply there as well? I would think not.
A also has its own liquor regulations that allow the UC to serve booze earlier than C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.