Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
15 flights on Friday 3/25 -- zero saver Y, single flight with saver J.

Edit: Saturdays and Sundays for the month starting on the 13th have zero saver in *any* class.
That has been standard for ps for at least a year (and I've been complaining about it here the entire time ).

The added implication is that it will now be virtually impossible to book awards from SFO or LAX connecting through EWR. Yet another MP downgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Kacee
The added implication is that it will now be virtually impossible to book awards from SFO or LAX connecting through EWR. Yet another MP downgrade.
That is an astute - and infuriating - observation.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That has been standard for ps for at least a year (and I've been complaining about it here the entire time ).

FWIW, prior to the p.s. change it was already almost impossible to book a saver award from EWR to either SFO or LAX on a non-stp flight even when there were 15 flights/day scheduled.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 10, 2015 at 10:33 pm Reason: Wrote standard vs. saver
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, prior to the p.s. change it was already almost impossible to book a standard award from EWR to either SFO or LAX on a non-stp flight even when there were 15 flights/day scheduled.
Nothing like ps.

There is always standard availability.

Edited to add: I just looked at SFO-EWR October/November/December/January and there is actually decent saver J availability, generally one or two flights per day. Much better than ps SFO-JFK, where there is literally zero saver J showing for September or October.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 10, 2015 at 11:15 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Nothing like ps.

There is always standard availability.
Sorry -- I meant saver. There is always standard space n the EWR flights too.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
With the upgrade of PS to EWR, are there any other enhancements planned for EWR as well. Is the Air Train going to be more reliable, I'm not a fan of driving (Taxi, Uber, Black Car to the City) I actually like the rail.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
With the upgrade of PS to EWR, are there any other enhancements planned for EWR as well. Is the Air Train going to be more reliable, I'm not a fan of driving (Taxi, Uber, Black Car to the City) I actually like the rail.. Thanks and Safe Travels..
PAYNYJ is looking to replace the current (moronic) AirTrain at EWR but that's not going to happen for quite some time. Current plans have a new system opening in 2022. They're ging to be asking the FAA for $40 million in PFC funds to study the matter.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:18 pm

I wish UA the best of luck with this ex-EWR service in the very crowded Terminal C. Having a near monopoly at EWR on this city pair ( LAX/SFO) helps I suppose.

Anyone care to speculate what will happen to UA's lounge at JFK ( which practically hasn't changed since the days of United is Rising?)

If I had to wager, Qatar airways move in. QR is already getting pushback from AA re: expansion at Terminal 8. QR owns equity in BA, which has the lease on Terminal 7. QR and will probably make investments to make the gates A380 compliant, share these facilities with BA, which currently cannot fly they A380s to JFK. Boarding from the lounge? Its possible, given where the UA club is located.

The joke is on United for moving out.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I'm going to get slammed for saying this but United won't be transcon competition-free at Newark. JFK and Newark have a huge overlap in markets they serve and so all those transcon JFK flights will still provide competition to United.

While I prefer JFK, at this point I'm sticking with United for other reasons. But if they jack up fares or make other negative changes I'll status match with Delta and move on. I live on the Upper West Side so can fly out of either airport. That I (and many others) have a choice means United still has competition.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Edited to add: I just looked at SFO-EWR October/November/December/January and there is actually decent saver J availability, generally one or two flights per day. Much better than ps SFO-JFK, where there is literally zero saver J showing for September or October.
What generosity! A single flight/day out of ~15 (and on my review that one flight is frequently the 5PM flight that gets into Newark at an oh-so-convenient 1:20AM). Pyrrhic victory.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Just paid $600 for MRY-LAX-EWR-SFO-MRY + 2 RPUs with R9 when I booked today for Feb. No complaints there.
Buying J straight out would have been like $1675.

Last edited by JVPhoto; Jul 12, 2015 at 2:47 pm Reason: listed GPU but were actually RPUs
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I wonder if any thought was given to keeping JFK adding service to the primary domestic hubs, ORD,IAH,and DEN. JFK has a great deal of International flights destinations not served by UA. More convenient to transfer at JFK then have to go to EWR or LGA. Also consider the size of the NYC metropolitan area seems like serving all three airports would be help maximize market share.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I wonder if any thought was given to keeping JFK adding service to the primary domestic hubs, ORD,IAH,and DEN. JFK has a great deal of International flights destinations not served by UA. More convenient to transfer at JFK then have to go to EWR or LGA. Also consider the size of the NYC metropolitan area seems like serving all three airports would be help maximize market share.
It was actually smart IMO. UA knows they can't compete against DL and thus they retract to serve their hub captives. Overall I agree that UA should be able to compete ... but they can't and instead of losing money every year they look at the economics and leave the high yield markets to airlines able to serve the needs.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
It was actually smart IMO. UA knows they can't compete against DL and thus they retract to serve their hub captives. Overall I agree that UA should be able to compete ... but they can't and instead of losing money every year they look at the economics and leave the high yield markets to airlines able to serve the needs.
When you have a market that is run by an oligopoly, what is their incentive to compete?

I feel like most people think it's a normal market environment. It's definitely not, not by a long shot.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Completely anecdotal, but sat next to a woman in F the other day flying EWR-SFO, and she's a Manhattanite... and quite excited about the p.s. move to EWR.

I think this was pretty much a no-brainer on UA's part. Close the underused station.

What I would like to see, however, is a "p.s. gate area" at EWR. With the frequency of flights, I think they really could designate 3-4 gates as p.s. only so ALL EWR-SFO and EWR-LAX flights go from there. They could up the amenities around those gates (nicer seats, more outlets, whatever?) to preserve the "special" p.s. feel without much cost at all.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.