FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1687751-ua958-jun-12-15-mx-ord-diverts-yyr-2nd-mx-pax-housed-military-barracks.html)

minnyfly Jun 14, 2015 9:27 am

Looking at the timeline of #958, the thing that UA should have done better was get to them sooner. The wait was way too long. However the nature of the situation would have had the passengers spend the night regardless. It sucks, but it's better than a disaster. If the mechanics are intentionally behind this, it's just deplorable and completely unprofessional.

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 24968153)
It's typical at a lot of poorly run companies.

The language is typical at every company, good or bad. How well they're run has nothing to do with it.

axl Jun 14, 2015 9:32 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 24968153)
UA employee groups have a decades-long history of throwing customers under the bus to score points against management. Nothing new here.

You're seeing an immature but not uncommon view of the job of external communications: ignore / evade bad news, embrace little bits of cheer. It's typical at a lot of poorly run companies. They resent explaining themselves to customers and think bad news will evaporate by itself. In fact it metastasizes and drives their brand into the ground, but you can never convince them of that. This is a hallmark of companies that run on internal fear and anger. At United you will hear not a word about a cancel / delay / diversion leader board as long as your arm, not a syllable of response to livid customers venting to the Daily Mail, but there will be a cheery dispatch about an extra olive coming soon to first class salads. It's ridiculous and irrational but there you have it.

FWIW, I've written up a few mechanical issues (I'm an Airbus Captain) over the past two weeks and I've found the mechanics to be professional and competent in repairing the items.

In the first instance I would not accept the plane (CLE-SFO) with the two inoperative systems that were legally deferred. I told them that they had to fix at least one of the systems in order for me to accept the plane. They responded right away and the system mx controllers (Willis Tower) ordered parts to be shipped in...leaving us with at 3 hour delay. IMO, the local mechanics were very proactive and attempted to reset/fix the EGPWS and discuss the details of the system mx controller. As it turned out, they were able to fix the system and get us underway with less than a 30 minute delay.

The second was a Flt Mgmnt computer problem we discovered when we were about to take off. We worked with the system mx controllers attempting to reset several times with no success. We returned to the gate and got the process started to find a new airplane (at least 3 hour delay). Once again, several local mechanics came to the plane and were able to fix/reset the system. We arrived in Chicago less than 45 minutes late.

The third was just yesterday. Thirty minutes prior to departure I discovered the Cargo smoke detect system was inoperative. Once again, several mechanics showed up right away and fixed the system. No delay.

In all of these cases the mechanics were pleasant and professional and showed absolutely NOTHING but the desire to fix the writeup and get us out as soon as possible.

Now, I can't speak for all mechanics in the system, but I would caution against painting with a broad brush and condemning all of the mechanics (or ANY employee). Each one of the instances I mentioned above could have easily resulted in a very long delay or even cancellation if they so chose.

cfischer Jun 14, 2015 9:39 am

Originally Posted by axl (Post 24968301)
FWIW, I've written up a few mechanical issues (I'm an Airbus Captain) over the past two weeks and I've found the mechanics to be professional and competent in repairing the items.

In the first instance I would not accept the plane (CLE-SFO) with the two inoperative systems that were legally deferred. I told them that they had to fix at least one of the systems in order for me to accept the plane. They responded right away and the system mx controllers (Willis Tower) ordered parts to be shipped in...leaving us with at 3 hour delay. IMO, the local mechanics were very proactive and attempted to reset/fix the EGPWS and discuss the details of the system mx controller. As it turned out, they were able to fix the system and get us underway with less than a 30 minute delay.

The second was a Flt Mgmnt computer problem we discovered when we were about to take off. We worked with the system mx controllers attempting to reset several times with no success. We returned to the gate and got the process started to find a new airplane (at least 3 hour delay). Once again, several local mechanics came to the plane and were able to fix/reset the system. We arrived in Chicago less than 45 minutes late.

The third was just yesterday. Thirty minutes prior to departure I discovered the Cargo smoke detect system was inoperative. Once again, several mechanics showed up right away and fixed the system. No delay.

In all of these cases the mechanics were pleasant and professional and showed absolutely NOTHING but the desire to fix the writeup and get us out as soon as possible.

Now, I can't speak for all mechanics in the system, but I would caution against painting with a broad brush and condemning all of the mechanics (or ANY employee). Each one of the instances I mentioned above could have easily resulted in a very long delay or even cancellation if they so chose.

glad to hear the mechanics are still doing their jobs!

Still doesn't speak to the unreal numbers of maintenance delays and cancellations if compared to any other major carrier in the world.

axl Jun 14, 2015 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 24968335)
glad to hear the mechanics are still doing their jobs!

Still doesn't speak to the unreal numbers of maintenance delays and cancellations if compared to any other major carrier in the world.

I definitely understand! I just wanted to point out my experiences to keep things somewhat balanced.

Kacee Jun 14, 2015 9:43 am

Originally Posted by axl (Post 24968348)
I definitely understand! I just wanted to point out my experiences to keep things somewhat balanced.

Thank you. It was the most informative post I've read in a while.

TomMM Jun 14, 2015 10:48 am

My original comment on this situation was going to be along the lines of "Hey, you are flying across the North Atlantic in an aluminum tube. Don't expect Disneyland when things don't go as planned." but changed my mind after thinking it through.

MX people, don't like your current contract, go on strike and work it out. FAs, don't like that you might have to work on an aircraft that isn't in your contract, go on strike and work it out. Just remember why you have jobs.

I recall watching an interview with a NW mechanic during their 2005 strike who made the statement "I'd rather see the company go out of business than work under theses conditions". We know how well that worked out for them.

BearX220 Jun 14, 2015 11:09 am

FWIW, I've written up a few mechanical issues (I'm an Airbus Captain) over the past two weeks and I've found the mechanics to be professional and competent in repairing the items...

Now, I can't speak for all mechanics in the system, but I would caution against painting with a broad brush and condemning all of the mechanics (or ANY employee).

Good on you -- thanks for the account and the commitment to safety. I didn't mean to suggest that the whole corps of mechanics is conspiring against the company and its passengers, just wondering why the canx / trouble rate seems to be ballooning right as the summer travel season starts.

I was on a UX flight from an outstation last weekend where the equipment came in with some complaint and the new crew refused to accept it until the writeup was addressed by the (slow-moving) ground staff we had available... delay ensued... not suggesting we push back with stuff unaddressed, just saying it is suboptimal to address this stuff during a tight turn at an outstation. Sometimes unavoidable of course, but to an outside eye it looks like the fleet is being flogged to the breaking point. Same stuff happened in Eastern's last chapter.

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 24968278)
It sucks, but it's better than a disaster.

Quite true but I wish we could stop rationalizing UA lapses, delays, egregious irrops, etc. by pointing out that they are better than a terrible accident. Better outcome would be to fly a safe airline without shredding the timetable every day.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
The language is typical at every company, good or bad. How well they're run has nothing to do with it.

I'd have to say the business world is divided into companies that genuinely want to get closer to customers, and those that fear them and resent having to explain themselves, and the latter is typically the poorly run kind, and I think UA certainly falls into that category.

Mike Jacoubowsky Jun 14, 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24968168)
That's the quote on Good Morning America this morning.

Passengers Aboard Diverted United Airlines Flight Spend Night in Unheated Military Barracks.

A public relations disaster, as it absolutely should be.

One thing perhaps a little bit different-

A United Airlines spokesperson told The Daily Mail, "We apologize to our customers for this disruption to their travel plans and will be refunding their tickets to London."
You usually don't see an airline immediately offering to refund the ticket price up-front. Presumably in addition to whatever compensation might be offered.

Seems like a business moving people around should have a full-time disaster desk with a triage system already in place to deal with this sort of thing. Part of that system would include appropriate responses for situations that cannot be adequately dealt with on the ground, like this one. As soon as such a situation is recognized, Plan B springs into place and you make sure to muzzle comments from people speaking for the airline that don't have a clue. Trouble is, the 'net has served to decentralize or kinda democratize things, if you will. But in something with PR disaster potential, you just gotta take back control. Even if it's just so you can have a fall guy.

halls120 Jun 14, 2015 11:31 am

Given the number of issues we've been reading about recently, I agree that it's wrong to blame the line mechanics for what's happening. To me, this points at poor preventative maintenance, and that's a corporate decision.

Alpha Golf Jun 14, 2015 11:52 am

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 24968622)
MX people, don't like your current contract, go on strike and work it out. FAs, don't like that you might have to work on an aircraft that isn't in your contract, go on strike and work it out. Just remember why you have jobs.

They're governed by the Railway Labor Act, which makes it very hard to strike legally.

Just to all of the folks (and Daily Mail) -- I've been to Goose Bay, and there's very little there there. I'm guessing they didn't even have a way to get off the base to access the town.

Definitely scratching me head as to why they sent them back to EWR though.

axl - thanks for your post.

JVPhoto Jun 14, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 24968864)
Definitely scratching me head as to why they sent them back to EWR though.

I would think if there was an extra plane or two used to ferry/shuttle it would have more use ending up again in EWR than in LHR...because could they even land the extra flight at LHR with the slots?

Alpha Golf Jun 14, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24968893)
I would think if there was an extra plane or two used to ferry/shuttle it would have more use ending up again in EWR than in LHR...because could they even land the extra flight at LHR with the slots?

Report elsewhere is that the cxld one of the scheduled LHR flights to free a slot for the relief section.

LASUA1K Jun 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24968893)

But the same aircraft sat on the ground at EWR then went on to LHR. In cases like this LHR could handle the aircraft.

Very poorly handled by UA. Its crazy this is the same airline that did a fantastic job with the Midway Islands diversion. How

tom911 Jun 14, 2015 12:47 pm

First passenger interviews I've seen since the diversion to Goose Bay. They're in front of T2 at LHR:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...rracks-n375131

FlyWorld Jun 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 24969075)
First passenger interviews I've seen since the diversion to Goose Bay. They're in front of T2 at LHR:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...rracks-n375131

I think this may indeed be a new low, or a new height of incompetence, apathy, and customer hatred.

I wish there was a way to know the root cause of the mx issue.

Was it due to deferred maintenance related to the $2 billion in cost cuts that are necessary to increase profitability margins to ensure that Jeff gets more than $12 million in compensation for 2015?