FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1687751-ua958-jun-12-15-mx-ord-diverts-yyr-2nd-mx-pax-housed-military-barracks.html)

kettle1 Jun 13, 2015 6:26 pm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4238321365.jpg

:eek:

Good PR UA! And the flight crew stayed at a hotel and would not answer questions. No food provided for many hours. 2 blankets given to each PX.

rankourabu Jun 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Hundreds of men, women and children have been abandoned at remote barracks in Canada for 20 hours so far after their United Airlines flight from Chicago to London made an emergency landing.

:rolleyes:

Kacee Jun 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 24966286)
they have UA2135 (4hr late due to incompetence) and UA2065 (3 hrs late due to operations :rolleyes: = maintenance) running YYR --> EWR tonight. UA will surely double the usual 5k 'we are sorry' miles this time :rolleyes:

Those are already special sections, no?

kettle1 Jun 13, 2015 6:45 pm

Did the FC / C PX get to stay in the hotel? Why no food or communications from UA?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...4235088073.jpg

I love it!

LASUA1K Jun 13, 2015 6:47 pm

Honestly, could they not get another aircraft from EWR in the air as soon as they find out about the diversion. Is it really that hard. Aircraft from EWR could've been there in a few hours. This is very very sad UA. Pathetic.

minnyfly Jun 13, 2015 6:53 pm

If the mechanics are doing this on purpose (seems possible), they're only shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't how you will get better contracts.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 24966314)
Honestly, could they not get another aircraft from EWR in the air as soon as they find out about the diversion. Is it really that hard. Aircraft from EWR could've been there in a few hours. This is very very sad UA. Pathetic.

You need a spare plane and crew available. Not something you just have at the ready or round up in a couple minutes. At least the people onboard didn't divert into the Atlantic.

exwannabe Jun 13, 2015 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24966301)
Well, those folks had food and warm beds. Kinda makes a difference. ..

Yes, the horrors of having to go from midday to 7PM w/o a meal (after having eating breakfast at 9AM or so). Surprised there was no Donner Pass action.

And I am surprised nobody got frostbite in fairly mild weather, indoors with only 2 blankets. The place is of course heated, but likely the locals turned it off because the weather was so warm.

Also noted that one source in the Daily Mail rant was very complimentary of the local workers. I guess they did not realize that these are the hands on the ground the UA (or any airline diverting there) has.

restlessinRNO Jun 13, 2015 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24966167)
You've got to love the photo of the ten foot deep snow drifts, despite it now being June.

Still, sounds like a pretty miserable experience.

This airline is going from bad to worse. But I was amused to see the snow drifts in YYR - Goose Bay (Daily Mail article). :)

wanderingkev Jun 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 24966281)
If it is good enough for Canadian armed forces personnel who risk their lives to defend us, it is good enough for these overcoddled whiners.

Because they signed up for it and did not pay for 000's of dollars for the privilege of missing weddings meetings and connections,
It's a silly comparison

LASUA1K Jun 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 24966332)
If the mechanics are doing this on purpose (seems possible), they're only shooting themselves in the foot. This isn't how you will get better contracts.

You need a spare plane and crew available. Not something you just have at the ready or round up in a couple minutes. At least the people onboard didn't divert into the Atlantic.

Sorry but if you don't have a spare then people doing scheduling have an issue. If you don't have a spare you cancel another flight and get those passengers off of Goose Bay. If you can't do that EWR has several 757's that could've been sent up to pick up the passengers and get them to LHR.

The situation was handled poorly.

spin88 Jun 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 24966553)
Because they signed up for it and did not pay for 000's of dollars for the privilege of missing weddings meetings and connections,
It's a silly comparison

+1. Press reports like this cause the public at large to avoid United, and the people subject to the cancellation/long delay, tell their friends/relatives who have a reduced desire to fly UA. Today Delta had two (yes 2 :eek:) cancellations, United had twenty-one (21 :() Also 21% of United flights today were delayed. https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

But United has set low (sub-80%) OT goals as anything more is "diminishing returns" and they are reaping the whirlwind at this point for their choices.

kettle1 Jun 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 24966281)
If it is good enough for Canadian armed forces personnel who risk their lives to defend us, it is good enough for these overcoddled whiners.

I bet those overcoddled whiners choose another carrier next time and tell others to do the same. Any airline can have a MX. Stuff happens, I get that.

It is the way UA handled the problem. They put the crew in a hotel and the PAX in a military dorm. They did not feed or communicate to the PAX for many hours. This is a complete FAIL on UA.

The worse part is UA shuttling folks back to EWR from Goose Bay, not onto LHR.

That is a major FAIL! UA is hitting the skids on all fronts! :td:

This management team needs to learn how to treat people (your customers who pay your salary). Don't treat us like cattle. Shame!

JVPhoto Jun 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1 (Post 24966253)

Oh but come on how good of a story would that be!? :)

I would be upset if it ate into a trip, but if I were just coming home I probably would take it in stride as a travel adventure.

NewportGuy Jun 13, 2015 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24966179)
Were the "barracks" on the airport property so they didn't have to clear immigration? Assuming somehow the FAs/crew did to get to the hotel...were pax not allowed to leave and make their own accom if they wanted?

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24966195)
That would be my guess.

Canada immigration is really strict.

How did the crew clear customs then? :confused:

Has United responded at all about this? Or gone into hiding?

blueman2 Jun 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Nothing about this (poor maintenance, lack of a backup plan, lack of caring for customers, lack of taking action when needed) surprises me anymore.

Just when I start to feel good about the better treatment I have been getting from FAs, UA management shows its true colors.