Wiki Posts
Search

Diet Coke a Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Widgets
^

People blame "United" when contracted United baggage handlers (Skywest, Simplicity, etc.) misload a bag.

People blame "United" when a Skywest-employed gate agent is rude.

People should then blame "United" for rude flight attendants on "United" flights.
Last I saw on all United Express flights the words UNITED EXPRESS are painted on the side of the plane. So shouldn't you have said (keeping in line with your other 2 lines) "People should then blame "United" for rude flight attendants on "United Express" Flights"?

But I guess I just can't get most of you to understand what I am actually getting at. I am not saying United is blameless. I have never said that in any of the posts. All I have said is that the problems on United Express are giving United a black eye and United needs to deal with the contractors. As I have tried to explain, I am looking at the internal side of things, not what the public perception is. So this is all I am going to say on the subject and if you don't get what I am getting at, oh well.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
About United

United Airlines operates an average of nearly 5,000 flights a day to 373 airports across six continents. Of these 5000 flights, over 4000 of them are operated by small express carriers that we accept zero responsibility for. In 2014, United and United Express operated nearly two million flights carrying 138 million customers. Most of these were operated by United Express which proudly fly the Embraer 145 on segments over 3hrs without wifi, entertainment, power or food. United is proud to have the world's most comprehensive route network We have U.S. mainland hubs in Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York/Newark, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. We are proud to announce that in Denver and Chicago, over 70% of our flights are operated on these small Express Aircraft (again, not operated by us, and we accept no responsibility for their behavior). Despite Falling at the bottom of major surveys, DOT statistics and even our own internal metrics (which DON'T include Express) for several years, it is not our fault. Employees and customers just expect too much. In time our lower performance will match your lower expectations, and we will become your favorite airline again.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2015 at 11:39 am Reason: Dicuss the issues, not the posters
Old May 31, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No on here asked where the FA was fed with the idea of the unopened can of the drink being a dual-use item of more damage-inflicting potential than an opened can of the same?
Perhaps the FA had a degree in physics?

Being struck with an unopened can will certainly tend to do more damage than the opened can. The opened can allows coke to be expelled out thus somewhat muting the energy transfer to the struck body.

OK, I admit that it is absurdly unlikely she thought of this, and even more that the airline did.

Back on topic, this might be a typical case of inconsistant rule enforcement (and BS explanations thereof), but the religious issue seams a reach.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
United has a customer service/respect problem that can only be traced to the corporate culture. Just about the only thing I've seen pmUA and pmCO service employees agree on is a universal distain for Smisek. When the king is disrespected, there is very little you can do to improve attitudes.

Assessing the validity of discrimination when you are not part of the discriminated group, demonstrates the problem, you simply don't have the perspective to understand. Respect is earned, not granted. Fear comes with the position and title, it's not the same

I've seen several people over the years ask for an unopened can, even saw one lady apply a dab of Purell and then wipe the entire top of the can, paying particular attention to the ridge around the top. I'm not a germaphobe, so I don't do this, but I find it necessary to question people that do.

Sure it says United "express" on the side, the express is a lighter type face. Straw man arguments aside, it looks a heck of a lot like a United plane to me.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Last I saw on all United Express flights the words UNITED EXPRESS are painted on the side of the plane. So shouldn't you have said (keeping in line with your other 2 lines) "People should then blame "United" for rude flight attendants on "United Express" Flights"?

But I guess I just can't get most of you to understand what I am actually getting at. I am not saying United is blameless. I have never said that in any of the posts. All I have said is that the problems on United Express are giving United a black eye and United needs to deal with the contractors. As I have tried to explain, I am looking at the internal side of things, not what the public perception is. So this is all I am going to say on the subject and if you don't get what I am getting at, oh well.
"United" flights are booked on united.com. Unitedexpress.com isn't a thing.

Public perception is significant with a brand's success.

If United didn't want to full consequences for their contract employees' actions, then they should have all their regional carriers in their own liveries.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
It's United's brand so they should be managing it no matter the internal contracting choices they make. It is their brand to destroy if they don't (and they seem to have been working pretty hard to do that over the past few years). Coke gets bottled by other companies in places but it better be "Coke" or the brand suffers.

The fundamental values of the entire operation come from the top. If the management said clearly (and executed to) that customer service was a number one value and that failures in customer service were not to be accepted then that value set would permeate the organization over time. But it has to be real - it has to be backed by tools, empowerment, employee feedback (positive and negative) and contract management of external suppliers operating under the UA brand. Until there is a real attitude change at the top employees and contractors will be very good at decoding "what really counts" and will continue to act accordingly. Just having a marketing slogan of being friendly is meaningless without conviction from the top that clearly isn't there today.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pdx1M
It's United's brand so they should be managing it no matter the internal contracting choices they make. It is their brand to destroy if they don't (and they seem to have been working pretty hard to do that over the past few years). Coke gets bottled by other companies in places but it better be "Coke" or the brand suffers.

The fundamental values of the entire operation come from the top. If the management said clearly (and executed to) that customer service was a number one value and that failures in customer service were not to be accepted then that value set would permeate the organization over time. But it has to be real - it has to be backed by tools, empowerment, employee feedback (positive and negative) and contract management of external suppliers operating under the UA brand. Until there is a real attitude change at the top employees and contractors will be very good at decoding "what really counts" and will continue to act accordingly. Just having a marketing slogan of being friendly is meaningless without conviction from the top that clearly isn't there today.
I have not seen a single grumpy Southwest Airlines employee in 12 years of flying them. It's a cultural issue.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only way I know to "weaponize" Diet Coke® is to add Mentos®.

Surprised no one has brought that up.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by kale73

Don't think it works the same way in a can ...
Old May 31, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I have not seen a single grumpy Southwest Airlines employee in 12 years of flying them. It's a cultural issue.
I have. And it was a few times, and I don't even fly SW that often.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mduell
Hmm, I don't see that on UAX, could you link to a photo of that?

So many obvious failings of this "logic", from alliance liveries to retro liveries.
I anticipate the FT fixation with the pedantic, but 99% of passengers who buy a ticket from United, go to the United check in area, go to the United gate area, see people in United uniforms, and get on the plane that says "UnitedExpress" on the side of the plane, and check its progress on the "unitedApp" think United is responsible when things go wrong.

Jeff and his minions set (1) policy and (2) a culture, both of which impact (or should i say "infect" ) the entire airline and its "regional partners." Notably I don't see the issues I see on "UnitedExpress" on "DeltaConnection" or "DeltaShuttle" flights, and the operating carriers is often the same.

And I seriously doubt that anyone getting on a *A (or a SkyTEAM, etc) livery plane thinks they are on anything but the operating carrier (e.g. UA or DL), and will hold them accountable. Similarly, I think that probably 95% of people if they are flying on a UA ticket on LH or ANA will think LH or ANA is responsible, unless its an issue caused by UA.

Originally Posted by transportbiz
United has a customer service/respect problem that can only be traced to the corporate culture. Just about the only thing I've seen pmUA and pmCO service employees agree on is a universal disdain for Smisek. When the king is disrespected, there is very little you can do to improve attitudes.
I noted this above, but think it has more to do with the sucky UA OT performance and bad hard and soft product. I have talked to lots of UAExpress/DLconnection FAs and they always tell me that they much prefer to work the DL not UA flights. Similarly I don't think the United FAs in large part like working for United. This is very different than the DL/VX, etc FAs (and GAs) who actually like working for their airline, and it shows. No one is happy at United these days, and it has trickled down to Express. That is Jeff's fault.

Originally Posted by pdx1M

You nailed it in the bolded part. Unfortunately CS is viewed as a cost, to be reduced, at United. That attitude is the source of all of United's current problems.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by kale73

And yes coke in a can + mentos could be very effective. Think lots of aluminum shrapnel.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2015 at 1:04 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#moderatoractions
Old May 31, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A Coke can with Mentos added won't make for shrapnel. It will just fizz out of the top of the can through which the Mentos is added to the can in-flight,

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Perhaps the FA had a degree in physics?

Being struck with an unopened can will certainly tend to do more damage than the opened can. The opened can allows coke to be expelled out thus somewhat muting the energy transfer to the struck body.

OK, I admit that it is absurdly unlikely she thought of this, and even more that the airline did.
Then someone fed the airline employee with the idea, and the question that follows is "who/which party" provided the training/education that specified that an unopened can is more dangerous than an open can and likely to be used as a weapon on board by a "suspicious" "terrorist" or other "suspect" nut job/criminal.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
My guess as to what happened? The passenger asked for the slight favor of getting the whole can of soda. The FA served it to her open, after which it can no longer be served to anyone else. The passenger then pulled her little "cleanliness" drama and demanded a second whole can, and the FA was exasperated and fed her the story.
Old May 31, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A Coke can with Mentos added won't make for shrapnel. It will just fizz out of the top of the can through which the Mentos is added to the can in-flight,

Then someone fed the airline employee with the idea, and the question that follows is "who/which party" provided the training/education that specified that an unopened can is more dangerous than an open can and likely to be used as a weapon on board by a "suspicious" "terrorist" or other "suspect" nut job/criminal.
Is duct tape legal onboard? You could dump in the mentos and then quickly tape over the opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.