Wiki Posts
Search

Diet Coke a Weapon?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Not enough mass or density with a cell phone, however, all of the following make excellent weapons:

1. Full duty free bottles for maximum impact damage, or broken and empty for their cutting ability (the remnant with the neck).
2. Wine bottles from the F and J service.
3. Laptops. Especially those with metal cases e.g. Apples.
4. Ball point pens.
5. Flashlights with strike bezels.

Etc. etc.
All of these items are allowed onboard with no restrictions.

Of course, there are deadly weapons everywhere on the plane, and to single-out soda cans, while allowing sealed duty free bottles, is just silly.

Silly "safety" rules abound in today's hypersensitive aviation environment.
It's pretty clear that we're dealing with another far too common example of an FA just making it up.
Old May 30, 2015, 5:30 pm

If I were to wager a guess, I'd say a more likely reason for not allowing unopened cans is so the passenger doesn't just stuff it in a bag and take it with them. That way, airlines aren't paying for a drink that you would otherwise buy for yourself on the ground somewhere.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well with all these people boycotting UA there will now be plenty of Y seats to stretch out in. The scorecard of those boycotting now include supporters of the Autistic teen incident, the singer's unseat belted toddler incident and now this.

I'm sure UA is worried. Not. Remember there are two sides to every story.
I think that's the result of them being the "world's second largest airline". I also see AA in the news more often now as well. A negative result of airline consolidation is the airlines open themselves up now to more negative press as the result of carrying more passengers/having more planes/routes.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta, SAS EuroBonus, HHonors
My heart really goes out to her for getting humiliated like that on a plane full of people over a stupid can of diet soda. The "man" in question is especially horrid and it's obviously that he took this situation to relay his own propaganda and hatred. Similarly, the FA is equally as horrid. She actually played along with the guy's hate against this poor girl, OVER A CAN OF SODA. Horrid people like that will get theirs one day.

In another note, I had planned on switching alliances from Delta to United recently since I liked their pool of european partners better, but I think I'll hold off. Delta is treating is treating me pretty well.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Nice, front page of CNN to boot. I knew before I even opened the article that it was probably a United Flight Attendant. The airline falls over itself daily in it's rush to the bottom.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
CNN has some original coverage:

"I'm not doing this to go after United Airlines. This is about bigotry and racism and our country is going through a very difficult time right now. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and so many others worked so hard ..." Ahmad said, breaking into tears.

"They strove so hard so that Americans would not mistreat each other on the basis of the color of their skin or religious or ethnic background but I guess we're still on that journey."

The flight attendant as well as the pilot later apologized, she said.

"She said she's working on her rude behavior and that the man (sitting across the aisle) should not have said anything," Ahmad recalled.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/uni...ain/index.html
Old May 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
I'm sure UA is worried. Not. Remember there are two sides to every story.
People have too much time on their hands, and the "news media" little integrity and reporting skill. Like the singer/baby incident, this sounds exaggerated and over-the-top.

Perhaps the story would be better if it was "flight attendant insulted by muslim woman for insisting a Coke opened by a non-Muslim is somehow unclean".
Old May 30, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Not enough mass or density with a cell phone, however, all of the following make excellent weapons:

1. Full duty free bottles for maximum impact damage, or broken and empty for their cutting ability (the remnant with the neck).
2. Wine bottles from the F and J service.
3. Laptops. Especially those with metal cases e.g. Apples.
4. Ball point pens.
5. Flashlights with strike bezels.

Etc. etc.
As do a good pair of stillettos.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
We are talking about a can of soda pop?

CNN loves stories like this.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
People have too much time on their hands, and the "news media" little integrity and reporting skill. Like the singer/baby incident, this sounds exaggerated and over-the-top.

Perhaps the story would be better if it was "flight attendant insulted by muslim woman for insisting a Coke opened by a non-Muslim is somehow unclean".
It doesn't matter if it is true or not, but considering that the pilot and flight attendant later apologized would suggest that it is. What matters is that this airline is more or less alone in a daily battle against itself. Every incident seems to involve them. In almost all cases, it is brutal staff behavior towards customers.

I've seen it first hand, I've also seen it all over the news.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This more a case of a United partner operating under the United Express name gave United a black eye. The FA in question is not even a United employee but because they are flying under contract as United Express people think it is United. United needs to penalize Shuttle America for this incident. This was not a United FA.

And the other passenger seems to be more of a problem than the FA was and should be dealt with.

But I am getting this from the CNN article so is partially speculation and I am putting that caveat on my response. And if more truth comes out differently later I will adjust my thoughts.

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
It doesn't matter if it is true or not, but considering that the pilot and flight attendant later apologized would suggest that it is. What matters is that this airline is more or less alone in a daily battle against itself. Every incident seems to involve them. In almost all cases, it is brutal staff behavior towards customers.

I've seen it first hand, I've also seen it all over the news.
But this was not even a UA employee. Yes it was a partner flying under the United Express name and most infrequent fliers don't know the difference. But this was not United, it was Shuttle America. United can not discipline another companies employees. But it can discipline the partner and hope the partner disciplines the employee.

And if you look at the current 3 episodes you will see none of them are actually United, they are all United Express. This incident, the pregnant singer and the FA that was hungry, all United Express.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 31, 2015 at 11:43 am Reason: Merge
Old May 30, 2015, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

That's why I love this community, so many unique ideas, deep knowledge base, and the ability to consists others points of view.

My summary from reading the replies is this: United probably has a policy about opening cans of soda, but not alcohol. Probably from the carbonation, but maybe something else. The FA just made up some rule, about it being used as a weapon. Probably got caught in trying to do her job and quickly as possible and loading the human touch.

The other passenger making the rude comment was not United's fault, but the FA or other passengers could have said something. It's just sad and unfortunate that this kind of action takes place.

Overall, I think this story will blow away pretty quickly. Just another United being United tale.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isaifan
That's why I love this community, so many unique ideas, deep knowledge base, and the ability to consists others points of view.

My summary from reading the replies is this: United probably has a policy about opening cans of soda, but not alcohol. Probably from the carbonation, but maybe something else. The FA just made up some rule, about it being used as a weapon. Probably got caught in trying to do her job and quickly as possible and loading the human touch.

The other passenger making the rude comment was not United's fault, but the FA or other passengers could have said something. It's just sad and unfortunate that this kind of action takes place.

Overall, I think this story will blow away pretty quickly. Just another United being United tale.
But it is not United. It is Shuttle America flying under contract as United Express. So United unfairly get the blame.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
But it is not United. It is Shuttle America flying under contract as United Express. So United unfairly get the blame.
Saying is not even a United employee is semantics. It says United on the side of the plane, UNITED hires them to be part of united. United sells the ticket, United earns the money for the flight. United goes on an on about how they have the best network and how they fly everywhere. United decides the schedule for the flights.

So, it's United if Express does something good, but if they do something bad they are no longer United.

For the public, it is UNITED
Old May 30, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Out of all the flights and diet cokes I have had on United, I can't remember one time when I've been just given the unopened can. It's always opened for me, even when I'm getting the whole can. However, I have been given unopened beer cans (with the cup on top) before.
I don't particularly like ice with my Diet Coke so I often ask for just the can and am usually given an unopened can, which I'm happy for. The crews haven't seemed to care much either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.