Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change fee paid with old money!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by Baze
As they said they got an e-cert for the balance left over, doubt it was a refundable fare.
There are refundable fares that still have a penalty for change/cancellation, and there are fully refundable fares.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
There are refundable fares that still have a penalty for change/cancellation, and there are fully refundable fares.
I know that, please read the post and what I said again. E-certs have nothing to do with whether or not there is a fee for change or cancel. If it was a refundable fare why would they get an e-cert for the unused balance, it would have been refunded to their form of payment. But they got an e-cert for $90 after penalties/fees.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Baze
If it was a refundable fare why would they get an e-cert for the unused balance, it would have been refunded to their form of payment.
Refundable fares can be refunded to original payment method, or left as credit under the original ticket, minus change/cancel fee.

If the credit was left on the original ticket, and then that credit was used to book a new ticket of a lower value, then the residual is issued as an ETC.

My guess is that this is what the agent did. Canceled the original refundable fare, left the value on the ticket, and then used that credit to purchase a new ticket, leaving the remaining the $90 as an ETC.

If they had refunded to the original payment method and then re-charged the OP would have actually been better off as they would have (eventually) got the money back as cash.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Haven't seen any reports of this, and a search turned up nada.
Maybe you should have searched through your own posts first, you had reply #1 to a similar fluke I reported 5 years ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...new-money.html
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Maybe you should have searched through your own posts first, you had reply #1 to a similar fluke I reported 5 years ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...new-money.html
Don't think I paid any attention to pre-merger search results, nor do I remember what I posted yesterday, let alone in 2010.

Not a refundable ticket...it was an -UP and I just verified with an agent that it was in fact non-refundable. The same agent was not aware of any change in policy, so maybe it was a pmUA agent applying pmUA policies. Whatever...no skin off anyone's nose in any event.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Refundable fares can be refunded to original payment method, or left as credit under the original ticket, minus change/cancel fee.

If the credit was left on the original ticket, and then that credit was used to book a new ticket of a lower value, then the residual is issued as an ETC.

My guess is that this is what the agent did. Canceled the original refundable fare, left the value on the ticket, and then used that credit to purchase a new ticket, leaving the remaining the $90 as an ETC.

If they had refunded to the original payment method and then re-charged the OP would have actually been better off as they would have (eventually) got the money back as cash.
Well, as the OP never said if refundable/non-refundable then it is all conjecture anyways.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

I just cancelled 2 int'l tickets...was told by the agent that

the $300 change/cancellation fees have to come out from my credit card.
Good thing that the new fares are $140 lower. So, my net cancellation/change fees are only $160. Oh well, I can use up those ETCs
next year. I guess this lady was not up to the latest procedures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.