Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC: BRONZE (Basic member: KLM, Emirates, United)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Be careful on fare booking class. Low cost fares can earn zilch
Yeah, it's not a problem. I book to get from A to B as cheap/conveniently as possible. If I get miles I get em, if not then not. Says I'm booked "economy light" (Lufthansa)

I'll let the airline take care of all that. Not on a tier run or anything. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes, if it is an eligible flight. That is what alliances are about
No, this not really what alliances are all about. A bit OT, alliances are about marketing for the carriers. A benefit for pax is you can often earn miles, but certainly not what they are about.

To the OP - K class (as well as the award classes, X, I, O) are the only published classes that won't earn UA miles on LH. All other paid fare classes, as long as it wasn't a bulk/consolidator fare (I.e. Booking from Priceline where you didn't know the airline until after you paid), should earn something. How much will depend on how it was booked (did UA or LH ticket it), fare class, and potentially the amount of $ paid. More information is available on the MileagePlus site - there is a page that shows earnings for each partner carrier.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:15 am

Yes

just make sure your UA MileagePlus number is in booking
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by beany_bot
Yeah, it's not a problem. I book to get from A to B as cheap/conveniently as possible. If I get miles I get em, if not then not. Says I'm booked "economy light" (Lufthansa)

I'll let the airline take care of all that. Not on a tier run or anything. Thanks.
Be mindful that Eco Light charges for checked baggage, even if *G. Also charges for an advanced seat assignment.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Also be aware that LH flights don't always post properly, even when they should. Of my two LH segments this year, one posted fine within a few days, the other never posted for my entire family and required a call in order to get credit.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
No, this not really what alliances are all about. A bit OT, alliances are about marketing for the carriers. A benefit for pax is you can often earn miles, but certainly not what they are about.
Another advantage of these alliances is that for those of us that need to fly a "US Flag Carrier" due to contracts, LH "counts" due to this marketing alliance.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

I flew a Lufthansa K class fare with my MP number on it to get *G benefits for the trip. Since that leg won't get any United credit is there a way to retroactively credit to LH?
Old May 30, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I flew a Lufthansa K class fare with my MP number on it to get *G benefits for the trip. Since that leg won't get any United credit is there a way to retroactively credit to LH?
you should have put it right away on the LH account and use your physical UA SAG card for benefits. Very difficult to get this to change ... you'd have to convince LH to do this and they will likely say they transmitted it to UA already (where it did not earn anything). It is theoretically possible since it is an LH flight and you want to credit to LH ... but I doubt they are willing to entertain it.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm 99% sure I understand, but looking for confirmation. When determining earning on LH is is only the fare class that matters right, not the choice of Economy Light/Classic/Flex (assuming they all show the same fare class)?

Thus, if I book an Economy Light ticket that lists as V class I should earn 100% PQM according to United's website.

Also, as an elite, do you get the 500 minimum PQM on LH flights?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Yes to both counts.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Can passenger earn PQD on LH K class issued on 016 ticket stock?

Greetings
It is clear to me that LH K class is not eligible for mileage credit even if issued on 016 ticket stock. However it is not clear to me if the passenger will earn PQD for such a purpose. Could someone clarify?
With gratitude
Koppelman
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by koppelman
It is clear to me that LH K class is not eligible for mileage credit even if issued on 016 ticket stock. However it is not clear to me if the passenger will earn PQD for such a purpose. Could someone clarify?
The flight will earn neither PQM nor PQD. Actually, it doesn't even earn award miles. Worse, if you have UA flights in K on the same ticket, those are eligible for PQM and PQD, but the amount of PQDs allocated are at UA's discretion, so much or even most of what you spent on the ticket can get dumped onto LH K as "ineligible." I flew ORD-FRA-NBO in K on a 016 ticket and got credit for $91 for ORD-FRA (so 455 "award" miles plus bonus = ~1000).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It's all on the earnings page, though in the fine print.

Under the earnings chart for 016 for LH, in the fine print, IIRC, it specifies which classes earn mileage, with K not listed. Also listed in the fine print there, or maybe under the PQM chart, but it's definitely there somewhere, it also tells you that flights that don't earn RDM also don't earn PQM or PQD. Also, K wouldn't be listed in the PQM chart on the LH page to begin with.

The short version is this: If you want RDM/PQM/PQD and are flying LH, never fly K class.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA states - under Additional Conditions
If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
That closes the door on PQDs for LH K fares
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
So what do you do with K-fare tickets? Relative booked a couple of transatlantic in K, so soon he would have 4000 LH or SAS miles or 5000 Nippon miles. Are they good for anything? M/M expire after 3 years and I know that with a minimum of 8k you can cash out like 30 bucks or so, any insight on SAS or Nippon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.