Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Certain Lufthansa Fares (LH) earning only 50% or no EQM/RDM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm booking a ticket with lufthansa in T class.. on United award chart (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1189,00.html) says "Discount Economy
(within Europe but connecting to a transcontinental flight) T 100%" but there's a little "2" with a note below "T2Class is not eligible for miles on transcontinental flights."

What does this mean??

Flying from MOW to JFK via FRA do I get mileage for both legs in T? what is transcontinental flight?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I also find this T2 to be a little bit strange. My interpretation is that T-class will get you miles on the european flight connecting to a transcon (MOW-FRA), but you will NOT get miles for the transcon part (FRA-JFK). I would also be very interested to hear if anyone has gotten miles on their transcon T-class ticket in October. OnePass does not give any miles to LH T-class tickets, but MP used to give 100% on T-class transcon flights before October.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chebraccia
I'm booking a ticket with lufthansa in T class.. on United award chart (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1189,00.html) says "Discount Economy
(within Europe but connecting to a transcontinental flight) T 100%" but there's a little "2" with a note below "T2Class is not eligible for miles on transcontinental flights."

What does this mean??

Flying from MOW to JFK via FRA do I get mileage for both legs in T? what is transcontinental flight?
Your will get miles for TATL leg, not the MOW-FRA leg.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your will get miles for TATL leg, not the MOW-FRA leg.
Doesn't the 2-subtext indicate the opposite? It showed up at the end of September.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tagflyer
Doesn't the 2-subtext indicate the opposite? It showed up at the end of September.
Transcontinental is within a continent (Europe). Intercontinental (or transoceanic) are the flights to/from the US and Europe.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Portolan
Transcontinental is within a continent (Europe). Intercontinental (or transoceanic) are the flights to/from the US and Europe.
Thank you for the clarification, but I'm still a bit puzzled.

The text on ua.com for T- and L-class earning 100%, says: "Discount Economy (within Europe but connecting to a transcontinental flight)". Should this have read "intercontinental" instead? Otherwise, a flight within Europe connecting to another flight within Europe, should qualify for miles? If you have a single flight, no connection, you will earn nothing?

My experience with LH L-class, is that I will only get miles for the european flight if it connects to an intercontinental flight.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Simply saying:

1. You will get nothing if it is a within Europe flight only.

2. You will get 100% if it is a flight depart or to an destination outside Europe, including connections.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
My experience with this is a little bit different.

Flew EWR-DUS on a Saturday in C. On Thursday, flew DUS-MUC-TSR in Y (T fare) and returned via the opposite route on Saturday. On Sunday, flew DUS-EWR in C. Earn RDM and EQM on all fares.

I believe the note is intended to let you know that a T-fare flight that does not connect to an intercontiental LH flight does not earn RDM or EQM. In my case, I think I did because I may not have made a connection immediately but it was nested within my original intercontinental LH itinerary.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
I also booked this recently and find it very confusing. Maybe the best option is to not put in a frequent flyer number upon checkin. Then submit ticket to UA after? If it does not work then apply to other programs like LH itself?

Seems like LH is going up in prices. I used to pay the same prices in class L and W. Now my ticket is in E and T
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
One leg of my upcoming MEL-SIN-FRA is in L and I was thinking of crediting to UA, but was similarly confused by the way they worded that section.

The L segment in question is SIN-FRA; am I right in saying that I'd get 100% credit on it?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
This has always been confusing, and more so when they changed it late last year. I believe the meaning (and from experience) is this:

For Lufthansa T fares, it will earn 100% for RDM/EQM if it's a intercontinental flight (Europe-US), 100% if it's part of a intercontinental flight (Europe-Europe-US), but won't earn anything if it's transcontinental (within Europe).

Last edited by Azurik; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by Azurik
This has always been confusing, and more so when they changed it late last year. I believe the meaning (and from experience) is this:

For Lufthansa T fares, it will earn 100% for RDM/EQM if it's a intercontinental flight (Europe-US), 100% if it's part of a intercontinental flight (Europe-Europe-US), but won't earn anything if it's transcontinental (within Europe).
I believe if you have an intercontinental flight (US-EU) that are non T fare, (say S) connecting to a T fare segment within Europe, you will get miles on the T fare segment within Europe.

If you only have transcontinental in T fare, you will not get miles.

If your intercontinental segment (US-EU) and transcontinental segment are both T fare, you will not get any miles on UA.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I believe if you have an intercontinental flight (US-EU) that are non T fare, (say S) connecting to a T fare segment within Europe, you will get miles on the T fare segment within Europe.

If you only have transcontinental in T fare, you will not get miles.

If your intercontinental segment (US-EU) and transcontinental segment are both T fare, you will not get any miles on UA.
Can someone confirm if this is now true? Preferably, someone who has flown an international T fare with Lufthansa.

If so, this change would truly be awful and would stop my flights with LH.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by Azurik
Can someone confirm if this is now true? Preferably, someone who has flown an international T fare with Lufthansa.

If so, this change would truly be awful and would stop my flights with LH.
Here is another thread about the same thing pretty much. Transcon T fare spell out pretty clearly in UA page footnote 2. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...les-ua-co.html

I personally haven't done this, since my last two LH flights were V fare TATL so I did get full mileage.

Last edited by mobilebucky; Feb 29, 2012 at 11:25 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Here is another thread about the same thing pretty much. Transcon T fare spell out pretty clearly in UA page footnote 2. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...les-ua-co.html

I personally haven't done this, since my last two LH flights were V fare TATL so I did get full mileage.
I've done T fares in the past and gotten 100% of the elite miles and equivalent EQMs, that's why I question some people's interpretation of this.

Wish someone who flew a T fare intercontinental lately (US to Europe) would chime in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.