Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Alton Brown asks UA why he paid $50 to sit on UA Club floor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alton Brown asks UA why he paid $50 to sit on UA Club floor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Same reason I won't patronize a restaurant that has tables so close together that I feel like I'm part of the next table's conversation...I want at least a modicum of personal space.
YES! I HATE the "communal table" concept that seems to be the trendy thing lately. I actively try to avoid staying at hotels that use it.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
The best part about recipe videos is typically you need to watch it more than once or twice to get the ingredients and process down pat. Some video hits are very misleading in total watch counts.

Heck if UA wants to sell a pass to person X, same always applies, bought at own risk. While we assume and rightfully so that there should be seating available, he should of asked for a refund and moved upon his day.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I guess I'm glad I only have 55 minutes (if flight is on time) to connect to my flight to ICN. Will just skip the club this time around!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
This is one of the funniest things I ever read on this forum, Alton Brown mobbed by fans at LAX. As I sat fairly close to Joe Montana, Matt Lauer, Carlos Santana near gate areas, I feel confident that Alton would be safe from the mob of fans. All were at LAX as well.
Perhaps you missed the Great Lime Conspiracy thread. Or posts about how an overhead bin should have personalized reserved signs on it.

Again, my point was not that he WOULD have been mobbed, but that all a celebrity has to do is ask for special treatment and they will get it, within reason. This was a follow up to my earlier post that he was not acting like a spoiled celebrity as some had suggested.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Maybe the social media tracking experts can tell us how relevant it is that AB's tweet was retweeted 155 times and favorited 445 times? It might be the worst $50 investment United has ever made.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:20 pm

There has to be a thread that discusses the merits and access to what *A lounge is best to access at any given airport? This discussion is taking this thread entirely off topic.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
Maybe the social media tracking experts can tell us how relevant it is that AB's tweet was retweeted 155 times and favorited 445 times? It might be the worst $50 investment United has ever made.
Given the capacity situation at the clubs, they'll be better off losing some members.

They'll do fine.

This is no worse than the situation at Terminal 5 with Delta.

Neither are good - but both will be resolved with capital projects already underway.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:09 pm

"Please take a seat on the floor sir, after all we are Flyer Friendly".
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Given the capacity situation at the clubs, they'll be better off losing some members.

They'll do fine.

This is no worse than the situation at Terminal 5 with Delta.

Neither are good - but both will be resolved with capital projects already underway.
That is so funny. Good one.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Just as a public service, there is exactly one correct strategy for *G with a long layover at LAX (that is if you don't go to In-N-Out), especially if you have Pre-Check.

Exit the terminal, walk to TBIT, go through security again (I know it's a pain), and go to one of the best business class lounges I've ever experienced. Sip champagne (OK, it's really California sparkling, but pretty tasty) on the outdoors terrace and contemplate how much happier you are than at the overcrowded UC or the presently dry AC lounge in the even grosser T2.

As an LAX Flyer.........shhhhhhh!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by channa
Part of it's cultural.

Historically, CO never liked to acknowledge mistakes or apologize. So if you bring something up that makes CO look less than perfect, they don't know how to react.

I've had a number of bizarre reactions regarding minor CO service issues over the years -- from a plane with broken video that the crew was trying to ignore until I asked and they acknowledge it, to a First Class catering screwup where food was served in tins, not on plates and the FAs said nothing, to minor stuff like printed menus being photocopied, not printed, with no acknowledgment that that was not normal.

So when you point out something like termites eating the walls, and the staff is not trained in service recovery, and they're raised with fear if they were to disparage the mother ship, the result is they zip their mouths and pretend nothing's wrong, while the termites eat the house around them.

I've had something similar though not as severe with them -- I noticed expired snacks in a CO club, reported it, they did nothing, and I had to write corporate before it got removed. Really?

Today, when you see that culture influence the Twitter responses, it's no surprise their response is as weak as it is.
Wasn't the DPRK training program supposed to address these issues? Or does that program only focus on the attitudes of over entitled customers?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Just wondering, how do you lot accept this over capacity problem and a lack of interest in expanding the lounges and adding more seats and so forth by the airlines over there?

If it happened in Asia, they would be the first to expand and improve the capacity because it means they are filling up first and business class and would consider it an investment that would be worth it.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wolf72
If it happened in Asia, they would be the first to expand and improve the capacity because it means they are filling up first and business class and would consider it an investment that would be worth it.
But that's not who is filling the clubs in the US. In the US, they are being filled with credit card holders, and since Jeff already has their money, there is no incentive to produce a better product. Or even the product he sold them.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
But that's not who is filling the clubs in the US. In the US, they are being filled with credit card holders, and since Jeff already has their money, there is no incentive to produce a better product. Or even the product he sold them.
It's still not cheap, around $400 a year for the cards that allow access to the club. It's still a membership, that United should be morally bound to provide capacity for the fulfillment of its agreement to provide services. The problem too is you can't cancel these cards, and get any of the annual fee refunded. If Chase customers aren't getting the value of their card membership, they should complain to Chase, enough of that happens, Chase may go back to United and demand changes (doubtful though, as Chase's customer service levels are pretty much in synch with United's).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by wolf72
Just wondering, how do you lot accept this over capacity problem and a lack of interest in expanding the lounges and adding more seats and so forth by the airlines over there?

Because, oddly, here in the US, domestic First/Business does not even give you access to the club! But a credit card will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.