Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Alton Brown asks UA why he paid $50 to sit on UA Club floor

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alton Brown asks UA why he paid $50 to sit on UA Club floor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by porciuscato
If you can, please stop by the UC. I sent this photo to the GS people about 4 weeks ago. This was just one of perhaps 25 seats in this condition. Some were worse, but I couldn't photo them since people were too close by.

The GS rep responded that it was unacceptable and they were going to escalate it. After two weeks, they hadn't done anything. I'd be interested to see if they have now.
Will do my best.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
Even more reason for a company like UA to do a better job in a place like LAX.

Why was the second club not open? Presumably that would have alleviated the crowding issue.
Isn't UA in the process of renovating a 2nd lounge for LAX ? This crowding is only a temporary situation.

I transit through the LAX lounge about once every 2 months and don't really have a problem finding a seat.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't know why anyone would spend $50 on club access. its one thing if you have it from status , or a membership that amortizes at well under that amount....
It's all relative. Alton Brown must be very wealthy from all the food network shows he's done. $50 is probably not a whole lot of money for him and worth it to not have to sit in the airport and potentially be recognized/bothered.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:04 am

A bit off topic, but I'm on UA32 to NRT next week. It departs out of Term 7. Does anyone know if you can get into the TBIT to use the *A club. Would I have to leave security to get to Term 7?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickyKing
Isn't UA in the process of renovating a 2nd lounge for LAX ? This crowding is only a temporary situation.

I transit through the LAX lounge about once every 2 months and don't really have a problem finding a seat.
Phew, since you find a seat every couple of months that means there is always a seat open. Guess everyone on here is making up the over crowding problem just like AB. UA should remove our access for being so hyperbolic.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by spearsba
A bit off topic, but I'm on UA32 to NRT next week. It departs out of Term 7. Does anyone know if you can get into the TBIT to use the *A club. Would I have to leave security to get to Term 7?
You would have to go through security multiple times if you visited the TBIT and then wanted to go to T7... LAX is not a good airport for transiting terminals airside. And I am pretty sure the *A lounge is restricted at LAX and UA pax are not eligible for entry... I am not 100% certain about that but I think LAX is an exception airport..that info I learned only from reading this board and not from experience. But from what I recall reading in the past you can't visit the *A lounge at the TBIT if you're flying UA out of T7. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more concrete info on access. But I am certain you can't get from the TBIT to T7 without exiting and re-clearing security.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Why was the second club not open?
Because Jeffie's saving $2 billion...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You would have to go through security multiple times if you visited the TBIT and then wanted to go to T7... LAX is not a good airport for transiting terminals airside. And I am pretty sure the *A lounge is restricted at LAX and UA pax are not eligible for entry... I am not 100% certain about that but I think LAX is an exception airport..that info I learned only from reading this board and not from experience. But from what I recall reading in the past you can't visit the *A lounge at the TBIT if you're flying UA out of T7. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more concrete info on access. But I am certain you can't get from the TBIT to T7 without exiting and re-clearing security.
Thanks, was not sure if there was a way to get between terminals inside security. I did a quick check on the *A website. I entered my info into the lounge finder and it says I will have access to the UC in term 7, AC and NZ lounges in Term 2 and the *A Club in the TBIT. Not sure it's worth going through security twice.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
You CAN access the excellent *A lounge in TBIT on a UA ticket - even a domestic ticket for same day travel if you are *A Gold.

Yes, it does involve a hike, plus clearing security twice. There is no pre-check in TBIT, but there is in T7, so it's really only like clearing security 1.5 times, if you have Pre.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks, was not sure if there was a way to get between terminals inside security. I did a quick check on the *A website. I entered my info into the lounge finder and it says I will have access to the UC in term 7, AC and NZ lounges in Term 2 and the *A Club in the TBIT. Not sure it's worth going through security twice.
If you have 2 hours or longer, I'd highly recommend the *A lounge in TBIT.

I'm not sure that the NZ lounge is T2 is running any longer, as they've moved their departures to TBIT, and they run the *A lounge.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes you can access the *A lounge but you will have to clear security twice. It's worth it if you have a long layover, great club.

And I am pretty sure the *A lounge is restricted at LAX and UA pax are not eligible for entry...
That's not correct.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Last time I was there (within the last month), there were two (2) clubs -- the main T7 one and the old IFL as a temporary one. Seems per Mr. Brown's report, one of them was closed.

Also, we don't know if the new lounge they're building will alleviate the overcrowding. With UA's gate issues at LAX after they sold off gates to AA, they've had a lot or problems with finding adequate gate space for arrivals, which ripples through the schedule, creating delays. Even if the new club has a net greater number of seats, it may not be enough with the increased delays.

Were you there when Mr. Brown was there? Do you have any reason not to believe his report?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Were you there when Mr. Brown was there? Do you have any reason not to believe his report?
And you were there ? How do you know he's telling the truth ? And since when did famous/rich people become a moral benchmark ?

Point is, none of us were there, and yet people were very quick to jump to condemning UA (as usual) without all the facts and both sides of the story.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

What happens once every two months is completely irrelevant. If the lounge is full and the other lounge is being renovated, how difficult is it for UA to say, sorry we can't sell a day pass at the moment as the lounge is full? This is short term thinking at its best--valuing the $50 revenue over the overcrowded lounge. This is basic customer service which is a major FAIL--negatively impacting the experience of everybody else in the lounge. Taking a person's money and knowing he/she will have a terrible experience and potentially report it to millions of other people is not good for UA or anybody else in the lounge. This a big part of the reason UA consistently comes in last place among major US carriers in every customer service ranking survey. Ignoring problems does not make them go away.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And you were there ? How do you know he's telling the truth ? And since when did famous/rich people become a moral benchmark ?

Point is, none of us were there, and yet people were very quick to jump to condemning UA (as usual) without all the facts and both sides of the story.
Yup. I'm pretty sure that these lying, over-entitled celebs have been fabricating DOT complaints, too. Surely there is no other credible explanation for UA finishing dead last (again) among all major US airlines. Airline Quality Index: UA Ranks Lower than Frontier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.