Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by skier464
United confirmed it to me via chat that the "baseline price" to Europe went up 10K
Boom. Exactly what I noticed. I am surprised there is not more on this posted yet
aquanine and Fly2Connect like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bgallthat1
I am surprised there is not more on this posted yet
Because (a) devaluations are the norm, across programs, and (b) prices are dynamic, which lessens the impact.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
X/XN & I/IN can go lower but has a low upper bound ceiling beyond that it goes to YN/JN. Seeing 35k XN (some lower) and 60k IN (no change).
Can folks post examples for XN or IN showing higher?
Old May 2, 2023, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
X/XN & I/IN can go lower but has a low upper bound ceiling beyond that it goes to YN/JN. Seeing 35k XN (some lower) and 60k IN (no change).
Can folks post examples for XN or IN showing higher?

DEN to GVA 2/16/24 - 2/25/24
jcturnbull likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
United confirmed it to me via chat that the "baseline price" to Europe went up 10K
I don't trust any information that comes out via the chat function. While there may be some correlation with reality, my experience is these are the most ineffective, least-informed customer-facing agents in the entire company and are only useful for carrying out very basic tasks (seat assignments, simple flight changes, cancellations, etc.) when it is not possible for me to speak directly with an airport agent, make a phone call or use any self-service functions.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Random search shows ORD-LHR is available for 31,800 every day but one in mid-Sept to mid-October, so I think it's clear the "baseline" didn't increase 10k from 30k to 40k. In the couple months on each side there were tons of days with less than 40k and only a few right at 40k.

jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Thanks for the replies. I am just surprised why a "Saver Award" is now 40k for the flights I'm looking at. What is considered a saver?
Partner awards are still at (relative) fixed saver rate, and only made available if saver award space is available.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mpw81
Random search shows ORD-LHR is available for 31,800 every day but one in mid-Sept to mid-October, so I think it's clear the "baseline" didn't increase 10k from 30k to 40k. In the couple months on each side there were tons of days with less than 40k and only a few right at 40k.
True, LHR seems to be treated differently from mainland EU. Seeing EWR-FRA/GVA at 37.8k-40k when X(N) used to be 30k, with 33k for partner awards.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
True, LHR seems to be treated differently from mainland EU. Seeing EWR-FRA/GVA at 37.8k-40k when X(N) used to be 30k, with 33k for partner awards.
Huh, yeah... just noticed the same. Also seeing some DUB awards at the lower price.
Old May 2, 2023, 12:43 pm

All the flights to the EU, specifically GVA, that I have been tracking went up 10k on 5/1. I do think there was a devaluation mostly across the board
Seanish and jcturnbull like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Same.. i've been tracking flights to spain and they are all up 10k. Also antidotally through another thread people are noticing that east coast to hawaii and asia also have increased across the board. Economy only
Seanish likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Same.. i've been tracking flights to spain and they are all up 10k. Also antidotally through another thread people are noticing that east coast to hawaii and asia also have increased across the board. Economy only
Is this a FT thread?
Old May 2, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boom. Exactly what I noticed. I am surprised there is not more on this posted yet
The chat agent has no idea what he's talking about. I promise. There are no charts. There are just fares, measured in miles. If the cash fare for GVA went up by $400, you wouldn't expect a thread. This is no different than that. The prices may go down again later, or they might not.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Partner awards are still at (relative) fixed saver rate, and only made available if saver award space is available.
Partner awards are now dynamic too. , although anecdotally the range appears to be smaller.
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc, nlf and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: alaska, united, marriott, hilton
Originally Posted by jsloan
The chat agent has no idea what he's talking about. I promise. There are no charts. There are just fares, measured in miles. If the cash fare for GVA went up by $400, you wouldn't expect a thread. This is no different than that. The prices may go down again later, or they might not.

Partner awards are now dynamic too. , although anecdotally the range appears to be smaller.

Maybe but its a pretty clear increase across the board. And i did specifically ask the chat agent did the price of USA-Europe economy awards go from 30 to 40k last night. The answer was a simple yes. No hesitation. Seems they were told something. While there are no charts anymore their is a baseline saver price. There has to be because United has partners and they share award availability with their partners. There has to be some level and metrics that cause a flight to be shared right? I mean you can just pretend it didn't happen but its pretty clear that they have increased average economy award pricing. Its not a shock with how people are churning CC into a million chase UR points a year.
fttc and jcturnbull like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe but it's a pretty clear increase across the board. And i did specifically ask the chat agent did the price of USA-Europe economy awards go from 30 to 40k last night. The answer was a simple yes. No hesitation.
And that answer was clearly wrong, as displayed later in the thread. (The UK is in the Europe region).

Seems they were told something. While there are no charts anymore there is a baseline saver price. There has to be because United has partners and they share award availability with their partners. There has to be some level and metrics that cause a flight to be shared right?
No. None of this is how it works. There is no baseline saver price. There is a number of miles, derived from the last chart before they took them offline, that they used as a starting point, but that no longer has any relevance. Award inventory sharing with partners is based purely on the fare class: If I or X inventory are available, partners can book business or economy flights, respectively. That's it. The price doesn't come into play.

I mean you can just pretend it didn't happen but it's pretty clear that they have increased average economy award pricing.
No, it isn't clear. It wouldn't shock me if they did -- I'm sure their intention is to sell for the highest fares they can get, just like it is with cash. But, one anecdote doesn't make for a price increase -- just like if I said "I looked for a price to GVA last week and it was $800 RT, and now it's $1000 RT, so clearly they have increased average economy pricing." Unless you would ask a chat agent about a cash fare difference (and believe their answer), you needn't ask about an award fare difference either.

The end of the award chart means just that -- there is no more chart. UA does not publish fares. I've seen domestic Y "saver" awards at higher than the old 12.5K each way, and I've seen them at much lower than 12.5K.
SPN Lifer, beltway, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.