Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
I just "repriced" the return of a United award ticket in two minutes by myself online. I originally booked IAD-BRU in Polaris roundtrip for 160,000. I decided to downgrade myself only on the return BRU-IAD to Premium Plus because it is 30,000 miles cheaper than Polaris (50K instead of 80K) and I will not use the lie flat on an 8 hour day time flight.

To do this, I just pulled up my trip details on line and picked the option to change flights. The system asked me which flight and I selected the return only. I selected to change flights the same day. The system included my flight as a "change" option just not in Polaris. I then picked Premium Plus at 50K and completed the change. The 30K refund was redeposited to my Mileage Plus account immediately.

From my experience booking this trip, it seems under dynamic pricing 160K roundtrip for Polaris to Europe is about as low as it gets. 310K roundtrip seems the norm- and 500K the outer limit.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by greg
I just "repriced" the return of a United award ticket in two minutes by myself online. I originally booked IAD-BRU in Polaris roundtrip for 160,000. I decided to downgrade myself only on the return BRU-IAD to Premium Plus because it is 30,000 miles cheaper than Polaris (50K instead of 80K) and I will not use the lie flat on an 8 hour day time flight.

To do this, I just pulled up my trip details on line and picked the option to change flights. The system asked me which flight and I selected the return only. I selected to change flights the same day. The system included my flight as a "change" option just not in Polaris. I then picked Premium Plus at 50K and completed the change. The 30K refund was redeposited to my Mileage Plus account immediately.

From my experience booking this trip, it seems under dynamic pricing 160K roundtrip for Polaris to Europe is about as low as it gets. 310K roundtrip seems the norm- and 500K the outer limit.
Changing class is usually OK to do yourself via that mechanism--for me, I'm already booked in Polaris, but want the cheaper Polaris ticket being offered today. The self-change function online will let me change to Y or PE, but lists Polaris as "not available" (presumably since it sees I'm already booked into it).

I have been in meetings all day and haven't had a chance to call yet but will give it a try. Last time I had to do that, it was during a change due to illness, and they had no issue even though the new dates were showing an increased mileage rate (took a call to their supervisor or support desk, but the agent proactively suggested that and pursued it without me even having to ask).
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Changing class is usually OK to do yourself via that mechanism--for me, I'm already booked in Polaris, but want the cheaper Polaris ticket being offered today. The self-change function online will let me change to Y or PE, but lists Polaris as "not available" (presumably since it sees I'm already booked into it).....
UA block from rebooking the same flight in the same cabin -- essentially trying to take advantage of a price drop.

There are ways to do this
Either cancel the itin and rebook; or
change to a similar flight and change back to original flight

Best way to handle UA price drop
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Good points by WineCountryUA and thanks for clarifying Exerda. In this case, I’d bet you can self-serve downgrade yourself to PP or Y - and as soon as that’s done, go back in and upgrade yourself to Polaris. And that should show the new, lower pricing (assuming that’s still available). Not that a phone call wouldn’t work too! It’s one extra step- downgrade to clear you out of J- then go back and grab the better price.
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg
..... Not that a phone call wouldn’t work too! ...
Agents are not supposed to reprice a price drop with no other changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Crazy High Award Levels

For ages, HNL-TYO nonstop in J has priced about 100K, with an alternative one-stop in GUM being around 60K or so. UA ceased their HNL-TYO nonstop awhile ago, and the GUM one-stop went to 110K in J. Looks like thay have stopped that route in favor of the six-stop Island Hopper. Just saw a price of 400K for the pleasure of this 19.5 hour journey.
Old Jul 7, 2024, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I guess it was just a matter of time before we saw Delta-like pricing.

Old Jul 7, 2024, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I guess it was just a matter of time before we saw Delta-like pricing.
I assume the itinerary involves the segment EWR-PVG in J next spring, which, by itself, is "dynamically" priced at around 850k. The segment, BTW, is likely to be cancelled by UA again, unless the war in Ukraine, or at least the Western sanctions on Russia, ends by then. Neither is likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.