Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keflyer
Was just checking for flight from ORD to SIN on UA/SQ and it showing 100k needed instead of 60.5k via LAX in economy. Has there been a change for award on partner airlines ?
Putting aside for a moment whether or not there is an underlying chart, despite UA not having published one for nearly half a decade now, your award could easily be impacted by availability on ORD-LAX.

That said, it is quite clear that UA is working on ways to introduce dynamic pricing on partner awards, so everyone may as well get used to the idea that the price you see today may not exist tomorrow, just like we’ve all accepted for years when paying cash.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jsloan
That said, it is quite clear that UA is working on ways to introduce dynamic pricing on partner awards, so everyone may as well get used to the idea that the price you see today may not exist tomorrow, just like we’ve all accepted for years when paying cash.
Cash prices are subject to market forces in real time. Points prices are not. They exhibit large, erratic, and inscrutable changes. Erratic pricing is inconsistent with programs which ostensibly intend to build loyalty.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Cash prices are subject to market forces in real time. Points prices are not. They exhibit large, erratic, and inscrutable changes. Erratic pricing is inconsistent with programs which ostensibly intend to build loyalty.
I’m not saying that you’re wrong about the effects of inconsistent pricing on loyalty, but it’s clear that airlines don’t care, as all US airlines have moved to some form of dynamic pricing on awards except for AS, and they don’t really seem to have suffered for it.

The only real change here is that UA appears to have figured out a way to make partner awards dynamic too.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
.... programs which ostensibly intend to build loyalty.
I think you will find fewer references to "loyalty", which has been generally replaced by "rewards", while having similar features, very different motivations.
Loyalty is a concept FT is stuck in but long abandon by the carriers.
nsx, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:50 pm

I’m not saying that you’re wrong about the effects of inconsistent pricing on loyalty, but it’s clear that airlines don’t care, as all US airlines have moved to some form of dynamic pricing on awards except for AS, and they don’t really seem to have suffered for it.
AS does dynamic pricing on its own non-saver awards. They just aren't as "dynamic" as some other airlines.

The only real change here is that UA appears to have figured out a way to make partner awards dynamic too.
Airlines generally can't "dynamically" price saver awards on partner awards because the prices they pay to their partners aren't based on underlying partner cash fares. UA isn't really "dynamically" price their partner saver awards. It just makes changes (often increases) to their prices without having to disclose them since there's no published partner award chart. Some airlines have access to additional inventory of non-saver awards from certain partners and they would pay somewhat "dynamic" prices set by their partners. DL, and some of its SkyTeam partners, price most of their "awards" dynamically, but those aren't saver awards.

Last edited by tth6133; Mar 26, 2024 at 4:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tth6133
AS does dynamic pricing on its own non-saver awards. They just aren't as "dynamic" as some other airlines.
Ah, another contestant in the race to the bottom.

Airlines generally can't "dynamically" price saver awards on partner awards because the prices they pay to their partners aren't based on underlying partner cash fares.
That doesn't mean they couldn't make up different prices. If they can get 100K miles from somebody and only have to pay the partner the equivalent of 50K miles, that's a win for UA.

UA isn't really "dynamically" price their partner saver awards. It just makes changes (often increases) to their prices without having to disclose them since there's no published partner award chart.
No, UA really is. I've seen different all-partner itineraries for different prices on the same route at the same time -- e.g., 50K on NH or 55K on TG, or whatever. There is no longer a chart that sets the price for saver/partner travel based on region.
nsx, SPN Lifer and aquanine like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:05 pm

That doesn't mean they couldn't make up different prices. If they can get 100K miles from somebody and only have to pay the partner the equivalent of 50K miles, that's a win for UA.
They certainly could. They could also just raise saver award prices across the board.

No, UA really is. I've seen different all-partner itineraries for different prices on the same route at the same time -- e.g., 50K on NH or 55K on TG, or whatever.
Do you mean they charge different saver award prices for redemptions on different partners on the same route? I'd like to see some examples of this. My understanding is that UA generally charges 10% more for saver awards on partners than on its own metal (there're some exceptions, of course), but not differentiating saver awards among its partners.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean they charge different saver award prices for redemptions on different partners on the same route? I'd like to see some examples of this.
That is specifically what I saw, yes. I was searching for TYO-BKK, but there have been enough reports of pricing discrepancies now that I don't think it's listed to any one route or partner.
SPN Lifer and aquanine like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Ah, another contestant in the race to the bottom.
I've seen different all-partner itineraries for different prices on the same route at the same time -- e.g., 50K on NH or 55K on TG, or whatever. There is no longer a chart that sets the price for saver/partner travel based on region.
Sample route/date please.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Sample route/date please.
July 4-5, BKK-SIN, I class: 33K for TG/ET via KUL, 27.5K for everyone else (nonstop or connecting). In fact: KUL-SIN is 33K by itself for ET and 27.5K for SQ, both nonstop.

I don't see any other examples at the moment, but I'm sure I'll stumble across them at some point. The chart is dead.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:38 pm

July 4-5, BKK-SIN, I class: 33K for TG/ET via KUL, 27.5K for everyone else (nonstop or connecting). In fact: KUL-SIN is 33K by itself for ET and 27.5K for SQ, both nonstop.

I don't see any other examples at the moment, but I'm sure I'll stumble across them at some point. The chart is dead.
In the examples you cited, all the nonstop (J) and mixed-cabin flights (Y+J) are priced at 27.5k. The only flight that's priced at 33k is a 1-stop flight with both segments in J (not sure about the logic behind it).

ETA: Looked into this a bit further. It appears what causes the flight to price higher is the segment KUL-SIN on ET, which, by itself, is priced at 33k in J. Perhaps being a fifth-freedom flight has something to do with the higher price? Or that UA has access to some non-saver awards (at higher prices) on ET?

Last edited by tth6133; Mar 28, 2024 at 6:59 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the examples you cited, all the nonstop (J) and mixed-cabin flights (Y+J) are priced at 27.5k. The only flight that's priced at 33k is a 1-stop flight with both segments in J (not sure about the logic behind it).
Doesn't matter. All it takes is one counterexample to kill the chart.

That said, I didn't present it well, but I did have a second example of KUL-SIN searched by itself -- 33K on ET and 27.5K on SQ, both for nonstop. It is clear that there's more going into pricing now than just the origin, destination, and class of service. Today it might be carrier, tomorrow it might be equipment type, and next week it might be equivalent cash fare.
SPN Lifer and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:10 pm

ETA: Looked into this a bit further. It appears what causes the flight to price higher is the segment KUL-SIN on ET, which, by itself, is priced at 33k in J. Perhaps being a fifth-freedom flight has something to do with the higher price? Or that UA has access to some non-saver awards (at higher prices) on ET?
After more research, UA does appear to have access to additional non-saver awards on ET. The flight associated with the award price of 33k isn't a saver award, so this isn't the counterexample we're looking for.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After more research, UA does appear to have access to additional non-saver awards on ET. The flight associated with the award price of 33k isn't a saver award, so this isn't the counterexample we're looking for.
Well, if they have access to them, then so does SQ, because the same flight comes up on a KrisFlyer search for Star Alliance awards.

The flight books into I inventory, but it prices differently than other metal flights that book into I inventory. It's dynamic pricing of partner flights. There's no need to play word games here.

The reason is irrelevant. UA clearly has the technology to charge different prices for similar partner awards. One would be foolhardy to ignore the implications.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:26 pm

Well, if they have access to them, then so does SQ, because the same flight comes up on a KrisFlyer search for Star Alliance awards.

The flight books into I inventory, but it prices differently than other metal flights that book into I inventory. It's dynamic pricing of partner flights. There's no need to play word games here.

The reason is irrelevant. UA clearly has the technology to charge different prices for similar partner awards. One would be foolhardy to ignore the implications.
Non-saver awards are priced "dynamically". It's possible non-saver awards could be made available to multiple FF programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.