Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by phkc070408
If my memory serves me correct, the advantage of a round trip was the risk of having two re-deposit fees instead of one of we had to cancel last minute, however looking at Award service fees that appears to no-longer be the case, even for a General Member.
While a round trip doesn't make sense today, being able to use the excursion perk is a reason to book as one.
Yep, I actually had to use excursionist perk recently to make a trip work. For the outbound, FRA-ORD-DEN was bookable in I and XN. Returning, I wanted to go to Tenerife instead of back to Frankfurt. I couldn't book DEN-TCI or COS-TCI at saver prices based on the searches that came up on united.com, but I was able to use multi-city to book COS-ORD (could have used DEN as well) for 0 miles in XN as excursionist perk and then ORD-LHR-BRU-TFS in I.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:35 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jsloan
IN isn't available to Chase cardholders. Yes, it's still meaningful, because the JN award likely would have been 120K+. It's just clear that they're no longer using the old chart as the underlying price point.
Oh, snap. That's another factor on my BKK-TPE-IAH-MID ticket were the IAH-MID is in XN. I have no MP status, only a MP Chase Explorer card. So, should I ask to be waitlisted for I for the IAH-MID segment, since it seems I'm not eligible for IN?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpcoe
Oh, snap. That's another factor on my BKK-TPE-IAH-MID ticket were the IAH-MID is in XN. I have no MP status, only a MP Chase Explorer card. So, should I ask to be waitlisted for I for the IAH-MID segment, since it seems I'm not eligible for IN?
Yes, you can be waitlisted for I.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Yes, you can be waitlisted for I.
...but not waitlisted for IN, right?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpcoe
...but not waitlisted for IN, right?
Correct. IN is only available to Platinum and higher members.
SPN Lifer and wpcoe like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Is waitlisting for IN the same as being waitlisted for a business saver award in the old days? Also do I need to be in a coach saver to be waitlisted for IN? Right now I am in a non saver Premium Plus award LHR-EWR. Can I call and asked to be waitlisted for IN?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Is waitlisting for IN the same as being waitlisted for a business saver award in the old days?
Yes; IN for Platinum Premier or higher; I otherwise.

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
Also do I need to be in a coach saver to be waitlisted for IN? Right now I am in a non saver Premium Plus award LHR-EWR. Can I call and asked to be waitlisted for IN?
It's supposed to require a Saver award, and since there are no Premium Plus saver awards, that would theoretically preclude you from waitlisting. It's worth a phone call though; the worst that can happen is that they say no.
SPN Lifer and PanAmWT like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Thanks jsloan
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Yes; IN for Platinum Premier or higher; I otherwise.

It's supposed to require a Saver award, and since there are no Premium Plus saver awards, that would theoretically preclude you from waitlisting. It's worth a phone call though; the worst that can happen is that they say no.
If I have a savers XN, how do I be put on waitlist for IN? Call? Do I have to deduct extra number of miles for IN?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
If I have a savers XN, how do I be put on waitlist for IN? Call? Do I have to deduct extra number of miles for IN?
Yes, you need to call. The extra miles will be deducted right away, but will be returned to you after the trip if you do not get the business seat.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and PanAmWT like this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Also maybe this thread may help: Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Mainland to Caribbean itins on United metal, incr in award cost?

Been pricing out some award travel to a few locales in the Caribbean in March/April of this yr. MSP-AUA and MSP-GCM for example. Seeing 20K one way awards on United metal for itins that last week had 17.5K one way level. Maybe close in award premium (though I thought close in was 30 days out?).
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Been pricing out some award travel to a few locales in the Caribbean in March/April of this yr. MSP-AUA and MSP-GCM for example. Seeing 20K one way awards on United metal for itins that last week had 17.5K one way level. Maybe close in award premium (though I thought close in was 30 days out?).
UA uses dynamic pricing for its awards and has for years. There's generally a floor, but no ceiling, and they appear to be able to make very granular adjustments.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Looks like the floor got pushed up.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The cash prices vary too... not sure what this thread is about since UA went to dynamic award pricing.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.