Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cheaper seats don't last, especially for peak season.
I don't expect them to last, I've been tracking the newest released seats for the past month or so and everything baseline seems much higher than it was 6 months ago.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rariya
I don't expect them to last, I've been tracking the newest released seats for the past month or so and everything baseline seems much higher than it was 6 months ago.
Are you seeing the holiday season effect?

A new norm based on just a month without considering other season factors may be too early to assume.
And factoring the impact of summer breaks for schools.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you seeing the holiday season effect?
That's what I suspected last month when we were still in January, but calendar is now open into mid Feb and it's still the same, almost all 250-300k OW. That's my concern.

Summer break is a fair concern. Not planning for travel until Fall 2024 so it's not the end of the world, but if these rates keep up, I suppose we'll be resigned to X.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rariya
That's what I suspected last month when we were still in January, but calendar is now open into mid Feb and it's still the same, almost all 250-300k OW. That's my concern.
Schools are on summer break. Just like June/July/August for the Northern Hemisphere .
rariya likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Since award charts not published, is 90K miles good EZE IAH Polaris?

The old saver was 60K (one way) then jumped to 70K

Availability of Polaris savers almost zero inventory since covid and dropping EZE EWR route

So i saw a one way for 90K And figured is almost as good as before.

Im actually booked EZE IAH Polaris and confirmed F to LAX

Wondering how others feel about 90K points for a one way international award?
Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole

Personally - I'd need info on what the cost of the ticket would be with money to make that determination. My minimum redemption tends to be 1.75-2 cents per mile - and sometimes you can do much better than that.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Personally - I'd need info on what the cost of the ticket would be with money to make that determination. My minimum redemption tends to be 1.75-2 cents per mile - and sometimes you can do much better than that.
1.75-2 cents per mile is an excellent value. Just curious: Do you figure in the miles that you lost because you are not buying the ticket with money?
For example, if the cost of a revenue ticket is $1500, you would lose 1500x14=21K miles. (11 miles per $, and 3 miles from credit card)
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The old saver was 60K (one way) then jumped to 70K

Availability of Polaris savers almost zero inventory since covid and dropping EZE EWR route

So i saw a one way for 90K And figured is almost as good as before.

Im actually booked EZE IAH Polaris and confirmed F to LAX

I think it is a very good value for J
caseminole likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
The price of the one-way ticket +/- 2 days either direction varies from $2,041 to $9.936 one way

Now I am actually tempted to keep the miles and purchase the ticket outright, as I've not seen a one-way this cheap
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:30 pm

The price of the one-way ticket +/- 2 days either direction varies from $2,041 to $9.936 one way

Now I am actually tempted to keep the miles and purchase the ticket outright, as I've not seen a one-way this cheap
If the fare is $2041, you would get about 22000 miles back (8 miles/$ as gold and 3 miles/$ from credit card). So your 90K mile award ticket actually cost your 112K miles. That is a very good value to save $2041. (1.82 cents per mile)

Unless you may want the additional 1141 PQP for status next year.
caseminole likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:55 am

I've been doing the math, and yes, even at the low end ($2,041) which i have never seen, I am still getting a good value for the 90,000 points.

Its hard to know exactly what the points are worth since the fare difference is so vast, even on the same day (e.g., today's pricing EZE-IAH-LAX on May 5 ranges $2041 to $9759)

Ultimately, i decided to purchase the ticket. The saver aware had a 10 hour layover in Houston as well, so I factored that in to the decision.

I'll have enough PQP to qualify for Silver, and a hefty bump to get closer to Gold again.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:52 pm

I've been doing the math, and yes, even at the low end ($2,041) which i have never seen, I am still getting a good value for the 90,000 points.

Its hard to know exactly what the points are worth since the fare difference is so vast, even on the same day (e.g., today's pricing EZE-IAH-LAX on May 5 ranges $2041 to $9759)

Ultimately, i decided to purchase the ticket. The saver aware had a 10 hour layover in Houston as well, so I factored that in to the decision.

I'll have enough PQP to qualify for Silver, and a hefty bump to get closer to Gold again.
I would do the same. The 10 hour layover alone is reason to abandon it.
You are highly unlikely to get a 90K miles savers award when the cash price is higher. If the cash price ever gets to $9759, expect your award ticket costing something around 750K miles or higher.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
I'm finding flights with JN availability are pricing cheaper with a partner leg tacked on to the end of the res. Example:
EWR-ATH 295k JN
EWR-ATH JN ATH-JTR I/X 155k

Not sure if this is mentioned earlier in the thread, always interesting to see what the pricing engine will spit out when combining partner awards with JN.

uanj likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
I'm finding flights with JN availability are pricing cheaper with a partner leg tacked on to the end of the res. Example:
EWR-ATH 295k JN

Not sure if this is mentioned earlier in the thread, always interesting to see what the pricing engine will spit out when combining partner awards with JN.

I just snagged something similar, but UA metal leg paired with *A leg

I had an 7/23 LAX-LHR and 8/17 AMS-SFO (IN/JN) booked from the beginning of the year at 157k.

Yesterday I checked about adjusting the return and found an (I) fare BER-SFO with a ZUR layover on SWISS and brought my total cost down to 127k in total +$124.

I lose out on the PQD/PQF for switching off United metal, but worth it for the rebate IMO.

Last edited by evol; Apr 27, 2023 at 1:40 am Reason: math error
Old Apr 27, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
EWR-ATH 295k JN

Perfectly normal. Same as with 'paid' flights ... a direct non-stop can often price higher than one where we tag on another segment. Happens all the time with dynamic JN/YN awards
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.