Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Indeed, would be curious if 30k is in fact the lowest that IN goes. Date of search is Aug 26 and all but one of the JN prices is lower than IN. The higher priced JN is 40.2k which reflects the $402 price tag whereas every other option is $253
There are pros and cons of I/IN not being dynamic and fixed
Old Jun 11, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Indeed, would be curious if 30k is in fact the lowest that IN goes. Date of search is Aug 26 and all but one of the JN prices is lower than IN. The higher priced JN is 40.2k which reflects the $402 price tag whereas every other option is $253
Seeing the same dynamic on some other award routings (even SFO-LAX ). 30k when IN is available, some 25.5k JN.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Interesting story in the Wall Street Journal discussing the downgrading of elite travelers this year, dynamic award pricing, and the move towards free agency.

A quote from a United executive leads me to believe that the latest award changes might be temporary.

It seems they made this change to bring award pricing in line with cash pricing -- which has rocketed due to revenge travel, China de-risking, and Russian airspace.

Should the cash pricing go back down, like what's currently happening in the used-car market, it seems logical that UA would bring down the award pricing. Quote below:

----------

Delta Air Lines and United have ushered in steep hikes for booking award trips to destinations in Europe, Asia and Australia—in some cases doubling the number of miles needed, says Kyle Potter, executive editor of travel industry blog Thrifty Traveler.

These changes are driven by dynamic pricing models that many airlines now use for rewards flights, which change based on travel demand.

“We are trying to strike the right balance between delivering value and savings for our customers, while also reflecting the broader economic factors such as what the revenue ticket pricing is, what inflation impact is and what market demand is,” says Michael Covey, managing director of the MileagePlus loyalty program at United.

------------

Link to article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/frequen...rades-7c94c48d
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Should the cash pricing go back down, like what's currently happening in the used-car market, it seems logical that UA would bring down the award pricing.
Such touching, childlike faith.

When a recession arrives, airlines will offer >100k credit card bonuses rather than reduce award prices.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and nwflyboy like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:03 pm

That's like building a desalinization plant because you're thirsty

Tick-tock, perishable inventory, need to move those seats fast...

Can reduce cash pricing or reduce mile pricing, and Kirby desperately needs cash right now to reduce debt, so it'll be miles.

BTW, not talking about recession.

Simply referring to pricing coming down on routes that are 100% overpriced right now. SFO-LHR, SFO-NRT, SFO-SIN, SFO-DEL, etc...

When that happens, I think they reset the back-end mileage chart, and drop redemption pricing.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Such touching, childlike faith.

When a recession arrives, airlines will offer >100k credit card bonuses rather than reduce award prices.
Exactly. The airlines are laser focused on cash generation. Awards tickets cost them cash. They would much rather entice someone to buy a slightly cheaper ticket or sign up for a credit card than incur the cost of an award ticket.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Exactly. The airlines are laser focused on cash generation. Awards tickets cost them cash. They would much rather entice someone to buy a slightly cheaper ticket or sign up for a credit card than incur the cost of an award ticket.
Actually, the opposite. A mileage redemption results in MP paying United cash. Sounds weird, but it's true.

MP and UA are separate entities, each with its own pile of debt to pay off.

UA gets cash when a passenger redeems a mileage ticket, while MP gets cash when a credit card company prints miles and has to pay them for those miles.

Fascinating thread (maybe UA bankruptcy thread) during covid discussed this topic for those wanting to learn more.
nsx and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:10 pm

Actually, the opposite. A mileage redemption results in MP paying United cash. Sounds weird, but it's true.
Interesting - thank you.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
That's like building a desalinization plant because you're thirsty

Tick-tock, perishable inventory, need to move those seats fast...

Can reduce cash pricing or reduce mile pricing, and Kirby desperately needs cash right now to reduce debt, so it'll be miles.

BTW, not talking about recession.

Simply referring to pricing coming down on routes that are 100% overpriced right now. SFO-LHR, SFO-NRT, SFO-SIN, SFO-DEL, etc...

When that happens, I think they reset the back-end mileage chart, and drop redemption pricing.
I would really like to believe you but I don't see award prices coming down. Cash prices, maybe. But maybe operating expense inflation will prevent the airlines from lowering fares significantly.

In the medium term, UA has to make a profit or they will cease to exist. With nearly every cost increasing monthly, how can they decrease fares? Inflation is persistent, and you can't easily put the inflation genie back in the bottle.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

MP and UA are separate entities, each with its own pile of debt to pay off.

UA gets cash when a passenger redeems a mileage ticket, while MP gets cash when a credit card company prints miles and has to pay them for those miles.

Fascinating thread (maybe UA bankruptcy thread) during covid discussed this topic for those wanting to learn more.
Exactly, when you redeem for an award, MP takes that liability off the books and UA collects cash.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
With nearly every cost increasing monthly, how can they decrease fares? Inflation is persistent, and you can't easily put the inflation genie back in the bottle.
That's the funny thing about airlines. The two largest cash expenses are labor and fuel.

1. Fuel is back down to pre-covid rates.

2. Labor is roughly the same as pre-covid. Slightly higher union contract, but offset by reduced FA staffing/flight negotiated during covid.

Inflation isn't materially impacting UA's cost structure.

So you're right, when fares come back down, UA can reduce prices instead of reducing mileage rates.

However, I think 'debt' is currently running the show at UA. Kirby is sitting on $30B+ in debt with interest rates rising.

I could see UA leveraging their legalized collusion relationships to keep cash fares high, but reduce mileage rates to fill seats.

We'll see...
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A quote from a United executive leads me to believe that the latest award changes might be temporary.
Wait, like, variable pricing that changes in both directions over time?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
That's the funny thing about airlines. The two largest cash expenses are labor and fuel.

1. Fuel is back down to pre-covid rates.

2. Labor is roughly the same as pre-covid. Slightly higher union contract, but offset by reduced FA staffing/flight negotiated during covid.

Inflation isn't materially impacting UA's cost structure.

So you're right, when fares come back down, UA can reduce prices instead of reducing mileage rates.

However, I think 'debt' is currently running the show at UA. Kirby is sitting on $30B+ in debt with interest rates rising.

I could see UA leveraging their legalized collusion relationships to keep cash fares high, but reduce mileage rates to fill seats.

We'll see...
Debt service with interest rates rising is an increased cost to UA. Overall compensation costs may've come down due to decreased staffing but health insurance and other staffing costs are way up, leading to higher per employee expenses. Fuel costs are not likely to stay down for long. In addition, the money printing by the US will have an inflationary cost in the future, no matter what the FED does.

Like I said, I would like to believe your scenario but I just don't see it. DL never retrenched once they devalued the Sky Pesos, why should UA be any different?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:57 pm

That works fine for credit card miles, but United isn't getting paid by anyone for miles accrued from actual flights. Presumably they accrue a liability for those. Reducing that liability is fine, but I still think they'd prefer cash from someone.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
That works fine for credit card miles, but United isn't getting paid by anyone for miles accrued from actual flights. Presumably they accrue a liability for those. Reducing that liability is fine, but I still think they'd prefer cash from someone.
I'm not sure, but I would bet that UA accrues a liability to MP for every mile you earn flying. So, hypothetically, if you earned 10K miles, UA incurs a debt to MP of $100- by "buying" those miles for your benefit. When you redeem those miles, MP pays UA $100-, thereby cancelling the original debt created by your flying activity.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 12, 2023 at 7:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.