Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award travel updates

Introducing a broader range of award prices

Updates to award travel are on the horizon. For flights on or after November 15, 2019, we’ll no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for each flight.

The details:
  • Some award prices will be lower than what’s currently published in our chart. You may have already seen these prices, and you’ll be able to get them immediately.
  • Other award prices may be higher than what you see today, especially if you’re traveling at a popular time. These prices will take effect immediately for travel November 15 or after.
  • Starting November 15, we’re removing close-in fees, so you won’t be charged the extra fee of up to $75 for booking last-minute award travel.
  • A flexible award travel calendar is available on united.com or in our app.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is changing?

For travel on or after November 15, we will no longer publish an award chart listing the set amount of miles needed for award flights. Award pricing will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors, including demand. Additionally, starting November 15, we will no longer charge a fee of up to $75 for award flights booked within 21 days of departure.
  • When will these updates take effect?

The award pricing changes apply immediately to flights on or after November 15, 2019. Until then, award prices will be the same as or lower than what’s currently published in our award chart.
  • How many miles will I need for award travel after November 15?

Award prices will now fluctuate based on a variety of factors. Some air awards will be available for less than what’s listed in our chart, which you may have already noticed. After November 15, award prices may also be higher, especially if you’re traveling at popular times. Use our flexible award calendar to get a monthly view of the award prices for a specific destination.
  • Why are you making these changes?

Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer better returns for our shareholders. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.
  • How will these updates affect award travel availability?

United MileagePlus members with Premier® status and qualifying United Chase Cardmembers can continue to book award travel without blackout dates. For other members, most award flights that are available today will continue to be available after these updates take effect.
  • Do the lowest-priced awards have any extra flight restrictions?

No. Our lowest priced awards do not have any added restrictions; the fare rules for all award travel apply.
  • How can I find the lowest priced award for my travel?

The award calendar on united.com or in our app will continue to show the lowest available price for your destination.
  • Will I earn miles on my flight if I book an award?

No. As with current award bookings, award travel in the future will not be eligible to earn miles with MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
  • What if I need to change my existing award?

If you need to change your award ticket, you will be issued a new ticket for which new pricing and additional fees may apply.
  • What if I purchase a close-in award before November 15

The close-in booking fee will still apply to all tickets booked within 21 days of departure prior to November 15, 2019. We will not refund fees paid prior to November 15, even if travel occurs on or after November 15.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l-updates.html

Archive: "Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

"Dynamic Award Pricing" by UA; questions, experiences, .... (No Award Chart Nov 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Glad I went to Japan in April. 70k->100k for biz class is brutal!

For our family of 4 RT it would have been 560k -> 800k
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I have Thailand booked for later this year and Asia again for 2024. Would now cost ~300k total extra to book these awards for the 2 of us assuming saver inventory could be found. 😥
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:15 pm

It’s hard to believe that an executive from Comcast, which is universally loved for being customer centric, might oversee a devastation of Mileage Plus.

Oh … Wait….
Old Jun 1, 2023, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
It’s hard to believe that an executive from Comcast, which is universally loved for being customer centric, might oversee a devastation of Mileage Plus.....
Nice to have a single person to blame, but changes like this takes months to prepare for. It was likely well in motion long before the arrival of the new guy. At best, the new guy gave the final blessing what was in process already. You don't make changes this overnight.
dw, SPN Lifer, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 2:11 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Updated full chart of saver award rates for UA and partner metal after the past month's 5 part devaluation:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...chart-pricing/

Summary of today's changes: Asia/Australia Y on UA metal now 50-55K, J now 100K. Oceania Y on UA metal now 45K, J now 85K.

Disclaimer: Link is to a blog I own and operate.
I appreciate the link. Are you sure parter first is 121k from Japan? That’s the old rate I have booked
Old Jun 2, 2023, 3:01 am

Programs: United 1MM
Furious. Absolutely furious. I might start flying Qantas on paid tickets (MEL-NYC roundtrip) and just burn my UA miles on free trips.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:10 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Boraxo
80->100 seems consistent with the Euro rates. Both up 20k.

ironically I remember when it used to be 100k RT c 2004 and I was unhappy when they hiked it
I still remember booking EZE in J for 80k roundtrip in 2004. Those were the days.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by jcturnbull
I appreciate the link. Are you sure parter first is 121k from Japan? That’s the old rate I have booked
Thanks.
It can always change, but UA hasn't yet changed any of the O rates during this devaluation.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mduell
It's been dynamic for years.
I distinctly remember published award charts with fixed mileage amounts subject to inventory availability. The award was either available or not, and if it was, then you knew the cost upfront.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Nice to have a single person to blame, but changes like this takes months to prepare for. It was likely well in motion long before the arrival of the new guy. At best, the new guy gave the final blessing what was in process already. You don't make changes this overnight.
Conversely, a new program CEO didn't have to give his blessing to major changes without a thorough investigation if they were justified.

Then again, he was hand picked by Scott Kirby. And constantly raising rates and having poor customer service is on brand for Comcast. This wasn't a mistake, it's just another Kirby Kutback.
22H likes this.

Last edited by ctownflyer; Jun 2, 2023 at 12:48 pm
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I distinctly remember published award charts with fixed mileage amounts subject to inventory availability. The award was either available or not, and if it was, then you knew the cost upfront.
Per the very title of this thread, those charts disappeared in November, 2019. The fact that some people continue to believe that there are magical hidden charts is… apparently just something I’m going to have to learn to live with.

For everyone talking about how awful this is, or how UA miles are now worthless — you’ve had nearly four years longer than anyone had a right to expect to use your miles. The only surprising thing about this is that it took them four years after removing the charts — and even then, the price increases are relatively small compared to the prices in YN/JN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Per the very title of this thread, those charts disappeared in November, 2019. The fact that some people continue to believe that there are magical hidden charts is… apparently just something I’m going to have to learn to live with.

For everyone talking about how awful this is, or how UA miles are now worthless — you’ve had nearly four years longer than anyone had a right to expect to use your miles. The only surprising thing about this is that it took them four years after removing the charts — and even then, the price increases are relatively small compared to the prices in YN/JN.
There's nothing magical about them. X/XN and I/IN pricing have gone up multiple times since the charts were hidden and I've made a new chart after every change on my blog. They are certainly not dynamic, they are just unpublished but they follow chart pricing.

However this change is the largest devaluation since the award charts were hidden.
nsx, SPN Lifer, SAT Lawyer and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
However this change is the largest devaluation since the award charts were hidden.
With still quite the ways to get United to Delta levels, one can only wonder how long (or short) before we get there....
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
With still quite the ways to get United to Delta levels, one can only wonder how long (or short) before we get there....
Sadly, it's a matter of when, not if.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I think we are all using different definitions of the word "dynamic"
....X/XN and I/IN pricing have gone up multiple times since the charts were hidden .... They are certainly not dynamic, they are just unpublished but they follow chart pricing. ....
To me that is dynamic.
I think others consider dynamic on a smaller time scale and more up / down activity.

Dynamic, to me, is prices can vary without notice and what iI see today is no guarantee of what I will see tomorrow -- which was true in the pre-dynamic, pre-no table world for awards. That was static, the opposite of dynamic.

The different definitions of dynamic leads to much on the noise of this thread.
seanp7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.