Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP status incorrectly downgraded on address change - Options? [UA can restore status]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Figured UA/MP would resolve this matter in this fashion. Humans can override computer systems that have been programmed to capture such discrepancies.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:46 pm
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Mileage Plus Status Mysteriously Downgraded from 1K to Platinum

So last year I flew 130,000 miles. As I type this I am looking at my 1K card that expires 1/31/2016. On June 13th I flew and had 1K status. I checked in tonight for a flight tomorrow and now my account and boarding pas says Premier Platinum??? How can that happen? I called but Mileage plus service is closed. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Hopefully I can get it straightened out tomorrow.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
how close were you on PDQ in 2014?

maybe you were close and they removed some incorrectly awarded PDQ which dropped you under the threshold
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Did you "move" recently?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have you checked https://mystatus.united.com/ ??
It shows 2014 data, it it still reporting what you thought you did in 2014?

The reason for the "have your moved" {changed your MP address} question is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...stored-ua.html.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2015 at 1:17 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Did you "move" recently?
My question also...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Ah, OP moved from SIN, which would explain the drop (had between $7500-$10K PDQ in 2014?). Follow the steps outlined in the linked thread to restore status - a call to MP would hopefully solve it pretty quickly
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:18 am
Formerly known as James Flannery

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Called an changed back to 1K. Woman on phone had no idea what happened. But I did move from Singapore back to US in June.

I checked the link and I flew 121,000 miles last year and had a spend of $9,930. But on my account it says spend waived because i met the minimum spend on my United Club cc.

When I moved back to the US maybe they downgraded me because of the $70 short of spend? Weird though because in 2014 I met all the requirements for where I lived.

They also told me on the phone that my flights in June only gave me the Platinum bonus level for miles. That is suppose to auto correct in 7 days.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Tareyton98
I checked the link and I flew 121,000 miles last year and had a spend of $9,930. But on my account it says spend waived because i met the minimum spend on my United Club cc.

When I moved back to the US maybe they downgraded me because of the $70 short of spend? Weird though because in 2014 I met all the requirements for where I lived.

They also told me on the phone that my flights in June only gave me the Platinum bonus level for miles. That is suppose to auto correct in 7 days.
Spend is only waived up to Platinum. I suspect it won't auto correct...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:00 am

Yes, auto downgrade as UA clearly has done nothing to fix this bug since knowing about it for several months. Doesnt matter if its $1 or $9000 under the min.

There are answers in the linked thread. Since it was maybe not read the first few times it was mentioned:

Originally Posted by GodErnst
Update today - 1K status has been restored!

A PM to UA Insider with an explanation was sufficient to get this restored.

Let's hope that I don't get downgraded in a future computer sweep...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/ua-insider.html

Or call UA again, and HUCA until they update it

CC or no CC wont matter for this
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Of course he'll now be required to meet the US resident criteria which includes spend, and as noted, is only partially waived for UA credit cardholders up to Plat, but not 1K.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:30 am

Mileage Plus Status Downgrade?

I used to live in New Zealand and returned to the US in July 2015, when I changed my address back to the US with MP. My last MileagePlus status was Premier Platinum, having been 1K for several years prior to that.

Earlier this week I discovered that UA has changed my MP status to zero sometime this month, apparently because my PQD is less than $3K.

Now I understand that going forward I have to play by the new rules and have to meet the PQD levels along with the flown mileage levels. But what about the status I earned from my flying activity in 2014? Does that status not stay the same until 1/31/16, just as my MP membership card indicates?

I called MP but the woman answered the phone was very dismissive and short and simply kept repeating "you have no status, going by current rules"

What is the best course of action in this case?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, KiaOra
Sorry to hear of your problem.
Originally Posted by KiaOra
Now I understand that going forward I have to play by the new rules and have to meet the PQD levels along with the flown mileage levels. But what about the status I earned from my flying activity in 2014? Does that status not stay the same until 1/31/16, just as my MP membership card indicates? ....
This has been a re-occuring issue and has been handled incorrectly by UA. Have moved this into a thread with some advice and experiences on how to get UA to correct the issue.
Best wishes on getting UA to recognize their error.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Looks like I'm the next up who has to fix this.

Just changed my primary address back to the US. Had been legitimately out of the country until a while ago...moved back, but kept my address (technically, which I still had access to) outside of the US so that my status (plat), which was valid until January '16, didn't claw back to silver.

However, logging in tonight, I noticed I was missing about 8700+ RDM that was there before the change, a few days ago. Sure enough, the bonus miles have been clawed back on my itineraries dating back to the start of revenue-based earning.

I guess I'll call the MPSC tomorrow to have them fix it....if not, I see a PM to UA Insider in my immediate future.

Anyone know of a way to proactively avoid this for the future (since UA seemingly hasn't fixed this I'd say non-minor system flaw)...my wife still has to change her address back, and would prefer if there's a way to have the change properly manifest for just going forward, rather then clawing back what was legitimately earned. Also wondering how many people don't notice this....I'd guess many more than those who do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.