Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The end of the following paragraph in that article does not make sense to me. Should the last "Continental" be "United?"

"The biggest issue cited in the ACSI survey was that United has done a bad job of integrating Continental's operations into the post-merger company. To gain cost savings from the merger, United has made changes to the way Continental did business, and that has annoyed former Continental customers who grew used to the advantages the airline gave them. "
Not just the last but in reality all should be changed.

This just shows even more that people think UA is responsible for all the problems when in fact it is CO management at the top doing all of it.

Arrrgggg!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
IMO United gate agents,flight attendants, and airport staff are fine. That being said, I believe the heavy use of regional carriers and poor communication among them is one of the big downfalls. The app,gate agent,and airport departure boards each has differing information. It is almost impossible to accurately track when flights begin to back up. The regional RJ145's might be necessary but 99 out of 100 passengers hate them. Hard to have good ratings when probably 35% of your customers have to ride in an old cramped aluminum tube.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
The regional RJ145's might be necessary but 99 out of 100 passengers hate them. Hard to have good ratings when probably 35% of your customers have to ride in an old cramped aluminum tube.
It's that they use them for 3-4hr ops is the problem. I don't think anyone minds being on them from DEN-EGE etc, but IAH-YYZ etc is nuts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA.AV
On my recent trip to Thailand, I felt that the UA reservation agent was rude and unhelpful so I essentially travelled SFO-NRT-BKK-NRT on ANA and only used UA for the NRT-SFO leg because I did not want to return via LAX. I was stunned with the different level of service. My comment to the flight attendant on the SFO-NRT leg that there was something wrong with my meal..... it tasted like real food, drew a wide smile. OK, the seats in Y were tighter than Economy Plus but the level of service, free drinks and general enthusiastic demeanor of the crew was wonderful. I used the ANA lounge at NRT and it was excellent, food cooked to order, great selection of snacks and drinks and a wide range of newspapers. In fact it was so good I deliberately went back there rather than to the UA lounge at NRT on my return.

My NRT-SFO crew were youngish and largely Asian but they were scarcely seen all flight and the meal plus the apology of a breakfast was awful. I was so glad I had eaten the excellent curry in the ANA lounge prior to boarding!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bocastephen
...and this is what made Southwest a well respected product in the minds of so many customers. The simple fact that Herb Kelleher could have cared less about angry stockholders or idiots like Hunter Keays, and instead made sure his employees were the number 1 priority so they could take care of customers, and allow everything to fall naturally into place as a result....which for so many years it did just that with stellar financial, operational and satisfaction performance scores.
This. Properly train your employees and motivate them to be positive and customer-facing, and everything else will fall into place. On my last long-haul trip, I had an interesting opportunity to ride with a group of DL FA's to the concourse and a group of UA FA's from the concourse. The DL FA's were happy, positive and clearly eager to go to work. The UA FA's were sad, negative, and defeatist.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
For me the elephant in the room is the current management's goal to cut $2 billion. Cutting this amount and improving the airline do not seem compatible.

Everyone knows that UA needs to improve customer service on every level.

There are lots of companies that have learned how to improve customer service in the past. CO did it in the past! It can be done, but while attempting to cut $2 billion!

UA could start by making some changes to Mileage Plus that actually benefit and attract customers beyond those willing to spend big bucks for a mediocre, late, delayed, crammed into slimline seats travel experience.

Someone needs to fall on the sword for the over privileged elite comments and mentality.

United needs to re-learn what a frequent flyer program was designed to do: (in my opinion) and to attract customers by being ahead of the pack.

Maybe I am out of it, but I hope that it is possible to run a profitable customer service oriented airline while making investors happy.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Cymbo
...I essentially travelled SFO-NRT-BKK-NRT on ANA and only used UA for the NRT-SFO leg because I did not want to return via LAX. I was stunned with the different level of service... the level of service, free drinks and general enthusiastic demeanor of the crew was wonderful.
Originally Posted by spin88
If I worked for UA, I would be lazy as well, but that is because I would have signed up for quality job, and suddenly found myself working at a company like McDonalds or Walmart.
We have to get over these constant comparisons of great, enthusiastic service from Asian / ME3 carriers against awful, hostile UA experiences. UA is culturally incapable of duplicating. It's just never going to happen; management is tuned into Wall Street, not employees or customers, and out-of-control employees have no fear of reprisal. UA has to compete in some other area.

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
Maybe I am out of it, but I hope that it is possible to run a profitable customer service oriented airline while making investors happy.
Sure. Look at Costco, Les Schwab, Apple. The woods are full of customer-centric companies that make investors happy. The trick is learning to ignore short-run, stupid investor yakyak, because uncomprehending investors demand changes that will damage ROI in the longer term.

When a company throws customers under the bus to suck up to Wall Street, as pmUA has done and JetBlue is now doing, it is ironic self-sabotage in the long run, as UA is learning and JetBlue will eventually discover.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
We have to get over these constant comparisons of great, enthusiastic service from Asian / ME3 carriers against awful, hostile UA experiences. UA is culturally incapable of duplicating. It's just never going to happen; management is tuned into Wall Street, not employees or customers, and out-of-control employees have no fear of reprisal. UA has to compete in some other area.

Sure. Look at Costco, Les Schwab, Apple. The woods are full of customer-centric companies that make investors happy. The trick is learning to ignore short-run, stupid investor yakyak, because uncomprehending investors demand changes that will damage ROI in the longer term.

When a company throws customers under the bus to suck up to Wall Street, as pmUA has done and JetBlue is now doing, it is ironic self-sabotage in the long run, as UA is learning and JetBlue will eventually discover.
I think the comparison to the 'unachievable' service of Asian carriers is unfair - they aren't doing anything magical or unique and it's not all cultural. If you've flown Alaska, that is an example of a company where (most) everyone is proud, happy and enthusiastic to deliver a great experience to customers.

Why do many Asian carriers deliver great service?

1. company is proud of, and takes care of its workforce
2. employees are brand-centric - they are ambassadors of the brand and treat the company as their own
3. employees are provided with the tools to be successful and proud - good technical systems, clean aircraft, well managed operational support, an overall sense of teamwork, uniforms that emphasize professionalism and beauty (for both men and women)
4. a well respected brand and company to work for - reputation is important
5. well run, constant training and education and a set of understandable and achievable standards to meet and ongoing support for those who need remediation
6. a belief in service at its core - they are not running a busline or just taking people from A to B - they are creating and delivering an experience and the outcome of that experience is high satisfaction and loyalty

...and all of this comes through employees with a very short 'useful life' and little job security or unions to protect them. They are there because the job is something to strive for and the brand is something they want to work for.

Contrast this with UA, or most North American carriers for that matter.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW

Yes and no. If you're talking about activist institutional investors who are demanding short term numbers as they trade in and out of their holdings, then you'll never make these people happy unless you're playing a numbers game to drive the share price in an environment where share price performance is all that matters.

If you're dealing with investors taking a long term value approach where short term metrics and results are background noise in an overall long term strategy the investor agrees with and wishes to join, then yes.

The former includes idiots like Hunter Keays who has been the main champion of destroying what was Continental and United before the merger, and is part of the bandwagon cheering on the destruction of the once bulletproof brand of jetBlue - which is happening so fast and so aggressively, it's actually painful to watch.

Strong leaders set a vision, create a strategy and stick to it while surrounding themselves with team members who support that vision and are the right people to execute it. They include leaders like Herb Kelleher, Gordon Bethune, and outside the airline business, Frank Stronach is a good example...these are leaders who run the company their way, middle-finger pesky analysts and investors (Stronach was known to tell unhappy investors to go F themselves and sell the stock if they didn't like it) and create an environment for the strategy to play out - and if things go wrong, they are leaders prepared to stand up and take responsibility rather than continually point fingers at nonsensical culprits they blame for their own shortcomings.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Yes and no. If you're talking about activist institutional investors who are demanding short term numbers as they trade in and out of their holdings, then you'll never make these people happy unless you're playing a numbers game to drive the share price in an environment where share price performance is all that matters.
Unless you're WN... delivering slow and steady returns.

The former includes idiots like Hunter Keays who has been the main champion of destroying what was Continental and United before the merger, and is part of the bandwagon cheering on the destruction of the once bulletproof brand of jetBlue - which is happening so fast and so aggressively, it's actually painful to watch.
its Hunter Keay, no S, but he is certainly an idiot.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/the-contai...air-travelers/

Gems like these:

People who flew in the 1970s “think about that with fond memories. I’m sorry, but those people have to basically die” in a “multi-decade-long washing out of entitlement” until passengers expect to pay for what they get.
“I don’t know why we still get free sodas on airplanes,” he said, adding: “Every time I see that beverage cart coming down the aisle, it makes my blood boil.”
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by entropy
...its Hunter Keay, no S, but he is certainly an idiot.

http://blogs.rollcall.com/the-contai...air-travelers/
He is only 25% of the problem - 75% of the problem is in the form of Smisek and Rainey who give him credibility and a seat at the strategy-building table, a place he has absolutely no right to be.

In essence, if you look at the United product of today, it took the shape of Keay's vision down to Smisek's statements on "80% is good enough". Now with somewhat improved inflight meals in F and a very welcome United Club food experience update, are we starting to gradually turn the corner and eschew some of his gibber-gabber nonsense, or are we just playing a quick game of panic-induced "catch-up to Delta" so the brand doesn't fall so far behind, the cost to upgrade would be out of reach? Or possibly UA is seeing a noticeable outflow of Elite customers to competitors?

I like to be optimistic, but with the current leaders and BoD in place, I still need to call this a catch-up game rather than a real turning of a new page.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't see it but respect your observations. It'll take years to make a difference, though, if you are right. Years. US was a much better airline in the 2011-2014 period, but former US customers were still dumping on it because their frame of reference was 10 years old and they didn't want to resample.
Originally Posted by eajusa
And...yet, peoples' memories are short in some regards.
Indeed: it will take years to rebuild confidence and a mostly satisfied & loyal HVF customer base UA had at the onset of this merger. While I hope for the many great employees of this company, I doubt it will ever happen.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Indeed: it will take years to rebuild confidence and a mostly satisfied & loyal HVF customer base UA had at the onset of this merger. While I hope for the many great employees of this company, I doubt it will ever happen.
Many, many years.

At the time of the merger (2010), UA was really starting to shed the last of the PR baggage it was carrying from the Summer from Hell (2000).

Just like from the comment in the article, CO was still riding on a cloud from its heyday (early 2000's).

This is going to take some time to fix.

Even if they:
- Got rid of Smisek & crew
- Reverted MP to the more customer friendly program it once was, and fixed redemption issues
- Got rid of SHARES and replaced it with something more efficient
- Empowered staff to fix and accommodate things
- Had empowered customer service to resolve and handle issues
- Improved food/bev for high-level Premiers on board
- Restored better quality booze in the club
- Fixed the TODs/upgrade issue to have better delivery on upgrades
- Added PTVs to all (or most) of the planes
- Came up with a new logo and brand (the new United)
- Gave bonus miles to win people back

It would probably still take a good 4-5 years or more after all of that to really kill the United sucks perception.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Once an underachiever, always an underachiever. Case closed. Sorry UA, you lose again.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
And those overly hard "slimline" seats are just not appropriate for flights over 60 minutes, never mind transcon.

What a shame to see SMI/J ruining this great airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.