Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
...and this is what made Southwest a well respected product in the minds of so many customers. The simple fact that Herb Kelleher could have cared less about angry stockholders or idiots like Hunter Keays, and instead made sure his employees were the number 1 priority so they could take care of customers, and allow everything to fall naturally into place as a result....which for so many years it did just that with stellar financial, operational and satisfaction performance scores.
...and this is why United will never change as long as greedy, egoist, narcissists run the show.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The end of the following paragraph in that article does not make sense to me. Should the last "Continental" be "United?"

"The biggest issue cited in the ACSI survey was that United has done a bad job of integrating Continental's operations into the post-merger company. To gain cost savings from the merger, United has made changes to the way Continental did business, and that has annoyed former Continental customers who grew used to the advantages the airline gave them. "
That's really nothing more than a matter of opinion, frankly, because the facts show that the current iteration of the airline is measurably worse in just about all of important categories than either of the predecessor companies. Anecdotally, flying out of Newark often, I still hear chatter bemoaning the loss of Continental, whereas in the former UA hubs, I have found the opposite to be true.

For better or worse, the current leadership has done an abysmal job managing employee relations. Across the system, my view is that morale is still very low as many staff are in constant fear of losing their jobs, and feel that management would not have their back if they needed to go the "extra mile" to do right by their customers ("no waivers no favors"). At the same time, one of the prime job functions of customer-facing United employees has long been apologizing for many shortcomings, including industry-laggard OTP/completion/MBR/IDB, inoperative wifi, lack of amenities, etc. That has to get awfully tiring after a while, especially when it seems like everyone else is doing a much better job at the same task.

It's something that can't be reliably measured on a spreadsheet or survey (which may be why UAL seems to have a problem with it) but any manager in a customer service business will tell you that there is a direct correlation between employee satisfaction and customer satisfaction. Until United can find a way to turn the tide in the relationship between management and its employees, and just get to breakeven, at least, I don't think we will see the company flourish to the extent it is capable.

It's great to see the company realize that they have a perception problem and deploy more resources to visibly improve the customer experience. I think a lot of the damage is self-inflicted, and many of the changes only bring United to parity with its direct competitors (AA/DL) but at least it points toward a realization that customers are not the problem. There needs to be some kind of similar 'revelation' regarding United's view of its human assets, too.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by StingWest
Another area of deliberate under-performance: Complimentary Premier Upgrades (aka Unlimited Domestic Upgrades). This idea was flawed from the beginning and should be scrapped in favor of a paid upgrade system where the paid upgrades get priority over last minute sales. Sort of like the 500 mile certificate system that UA used to have (or the coupon system that AA has)
When the airlines adopted this system of upgrades, personally, I think they knew exactly what they were doing: a race to the bottom. If you make something 'free', people are less upset when the amenities that come along with a Complimentary Premier Upgrades are pretty pathetic. Whereas, if you have to pay a little something extra, ie a 500 mile certificate, there's an expectation that you'll get something a little special. That said though, I completely agree and wish these instruments would be re-introduced.

I still remember when the front-line was pretty hostile during the Tilton days, but that's nothing like what customers are experiencing to-day. I don't fly UA very often these days, but they still have one of the most expansive networks in the world and some great employees out there. I can only hope that management realizes what a mess the airline is these days. Eighty per cent on time arrivals is hardly acceptable, neither is outsourcing dedicated staff
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by EWR764
That's really nothing more than a matter of opinion, frankly, because the facts show that the current iteration of the airline is measurably worse in just about all of important categories than either of the predecessor companies. Anecdotally, flying out of Newark often, I still hear chatter bemoaning the loss of Continental, whereas in the former UA hubs, I have found the opposite to be true.

For better or worse, the current leadership has done an abysmal job managing employee relations. Across the system, my view is that morale is still very low as many staff are in constant fear of losing their jobs, and feel that management would not have their back if they needed to go the "extra mile" to do right by their customers ("no waivers no favors"). At the same time, one of the prime job functions of customer-facing United employees has long been apologizing for many shortcomings, including industry-laggard OTP/completion/MBR/IDB, inoperative wifi, lack of amenities, etc. That has to get awfully tiring after a while, especially when it seems like everyone else is doing a much better job at the same task.

It's something that can't be reliably measured on a spreadsheet or survey (which may be why UAL seems to have a problem with it) but any manager in a customer service business will tell you that there is a direct correlation between employee satisfaction and customer satisfaction. Until United can find a way to turn the tide in the relationship between management and its employees, and just get to breakeven, at least, I don't think we will see the company flourish to the extent it is capable.

It's great to see the company realize that they have a perception problem and deploy more resources to visibly improve the customer experience. I think a lot of the damage is self-inflicted, and many of the changes only bring United to parity with its direct competitors (AA/DL) but at least it points toward a realization that customers are not the problem. There needs to be some kind of similar 'revelation' regarding United's view of its human assets, too.
IMHO, if UA management had a do over or a wish list, it would include exactly what Parker did over at AA with the unions. Granted, it was a bankruptcy but when the merger there cleared, the employees and management were more or less pulling in the same direction. At UA, management had and continues to have two inflight operating systems each refusing to accept the other: that begets a mindset among everyone that, until that issue is solved, all else is secondary- like WiFi, in flight amenities, etc.- and can wait
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:26 pm

Did United actually have to integrate Continental? It certainly feels more like the opposite. While the United name (as the superior brand) was kept, it's the Continental management that took over and the airline feels more like Continental "plus" than United.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
this is just not true

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Where UA totally fails is in its front-line staff. The bag drop situation is stressful even for a 1K, with staff who would be more comfortable directing traffic, or working the curbside no parking regulations. What it's like in the GM section, where people are less familiar with procedures, I dread to think. I don't experience anything like this when I travel with other airlines with no status. Even EZ are a delight in comparison.

But it only gets worse. The boarding gate experience is truly horrible. I'm not sure that I entirely blame the GAs for losing their tempers on a regular basis, and for being even more traffic cop-ish than the bag drop staff, because they have been handed an impossible job by management. But I find I walk on to the plane seething after having dealt with that lot - at pretty well any US station. DUB and LHR are fine IME.

And then, on the flight, half the staff have clearly been trained by ex-Aeroflot staff from the old days. I know of no normal airline in the West which has staff who are so off-hand to the passengers. There are good FAs but they are few and far between. Again, contrast with EZ, even FR, and they are streets ahead of UA in C.
Most of this is clearly not true.

I have no issue with the staff. Trained by ex-Aeroflot? Give me a break!

The FA's on long haul flights are mostly high seniority (read Experience). That's what happens, lhrsfo, when you eliminate company pension plans! (Very British I might add).

You have an issue with bag drop for 1K? Care to elaborate?

The worst of your hyperbole is this:

I know of no normal airline in the West which has staff who are so off-hand to the passengers.

Have you ever tried AC?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have personally noticed improved customer service over the last 6-9 months, although my flying with UA has decreased some. I think its headed in the right direction, but still a ways to go.

The operational metrics are more interesting. Its pretty easy to manipulate those by changing block times, increasing boarding times, etc. which I think they've done in the past. I hope they really are attacking the problems this time, as the article suggests.

Overall, after years of taking away from customers, there are some signs of giving something back. The new food in the lounges is something I appreciate. I think if we start to see UA trend in that direction, a lot of the other issues will be forgiven.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
"...and it's looking at ways to decrease the need for ramp agents to bring planes in and out of gate areas."
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by JBord
I have personally noticed improved customer service over the last 6-9 months, although my flying with UA has decreased some. I think its headed in the right direction, but still a ways to go.

The operational metrics are more interesting. Its pretty easy to manipulate those by changing block times, increasing boarding times, etc. which I think they've done in the past. I hope they really are attacking the problems this time, as the article suggests.

Overall, after years of taking away from customers, there are some signs of giving something back. The new food in the lounges is something I appreciate. I think if we start to see UA trend in that direction, a lot of the other issues will be forgiven.
I agree. Things are getting better and have been since summer of 2014
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
When you hit bottom, the only direction is up.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by StingWest
Another area of deliberate under-performance: Complimentary Premier Upgrades (aka Unlimited Domestic Upgrades). This idea was flawed from the beginning and should be scrapped in favor of a paid upgrade system...
I was skeptical of this but I've come to agree with you, as UA's CPU proposition has degenerated into such a joke. The CPU offer is borderline fraudulent when you have a waitlist 50 elites deep, two seats up for grabs, and simultaneous sub-$100 TOD offers.

That doesn't mean all CPU programs are stupid -- AS has one, and I bat about .500 as MVP Gold. But UA's is now worse than nothing because it's so terrible relative to expectations.

Originally Posted by JBord
I have personally noticed improved customer service over the last 6-9 months... after years of taking away from customers, there are some signs of giving something back.

I think if we start to see UA trend in that direction, a lot of the other issues will be forgiven.
I don't see it but respect your observations. It'll take years to make a difference, though, if you are right. Years. US was a much better airline in the 2011-2014 period, but former US customers were still dumping on it because their frame of reference was 10 years old and they didn't want to resample.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
US was a much better airline in the 2011-2014 period, but former US customers were still dumping on it because their frame of reference was 10 years old and they didn't want to resample.
And...yet, peoples' memories are short in some regards.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was skeptical of this but I've come to agree with you, as UA's CPU proposition has degenerated into such a joke. The CPU offer is borderline fraudulent when you have a waitlist 50 elites deep, two seats up for grabs, and simultaneous sub-$100 TOD offers.

That doesn't mean all CPU programs are stupid -- AS has one, and I bat about .500 as MVP Gold. But UA's is now worse than nothing because it's so terrible relative to expectations.

I don't see it but respect your observations. It'll take years to make a difference, though, if you are right. Years. US was a much better airline in the 2011-2014 period, but former US customers were still dumping on it because their frame of reference was 10 years old and they didn't want to resample.
I don't think an upgrade certificate program is going to make any difference. You'll still have Elites waitlisted knee deep, few R seats and plenty of TOD sales - the only difference will be a new cost, which is not something we really want, right?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by manstein58
IMHO, if UA management had a do over or a wish list, it would include exactly what Parker did over at AA with the unions. Granted, it was a bankruptcy but when the merger there cleared, the employees and management were more or less pulling in the same direction. At UA, management had and continues to have two inflight operating systems each refusing to accept the other: that begets a mindset among everyone that, until that issue is solved, all else is secondary- like WiFi, in flight amenities, etc.- and can wait
I think that is probably true, but there are two important considerations here: (1) the integration of the unions at CO/UA has been and will continue to be a colossal task, given the almost diametrically opposed agendas of the various workgroups subject to integration (especially the flight attendants); and (2) the timing of the merger, as a delay in CO+UA would have led to US+UA, which would have been materially worse for US consumers in the big picture. US+AA had the luxury of more time as their merger was essentially fated once CO+UA was done, despite AA's proclamations that it was charting an independent post-bankruptcy course.

The integration of the workgroups can't all be blamed on management, either, IMO.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
"...and it's looking at ways to decrease the need for ramp agents to bring planes in and out of gate areas."
Ah, the wingwalkers. This is something that came from the CO side. I can think of dozens of occasions where we have waited short of the gate for several minutes while marshals got into position to allow the flight to proceed to the gate. It was arguably extraneous then, and definitely extraneous now that winglet 737 ops are pervasive through the former UAL network and gates have been appropriately marked for some time.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by amartin1979
That's nice, but I've already checked out.
Yes me too - 2010.

That is a long comeback trail and in the meantime there is major self-inflicted brand damage and who knows how many travel patterns permanently changed to avoid UA.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's pretty scary when the leader of a service business relies 100% on metrics and claims a specific threshold is "good enough" and there is no incentive to do better - on just that point alone, it seems Mr Smisek does not possess the correct leadership qualities or vision to be running a service business. I was actually shocked that he would say that, but given the number of comments from Rainey ("whiny Elites", Global First is useless, etc etc), it seems all of these people are in over their heads and don't have a clue.
Needs a Bethunesque transformation?

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Re-training and weeding out the bad apples won't work, as employees will not change their attitudes as long as they are treated by management as minimum wage slaves.
Simply said: Front line employees have ZERO incentive to by nice, hardworking and forthcoming.
I will reread From Worst to First again tonight.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Mar 18, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.