Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Can United Continental Beat Its Bad Reputation?" - Investopedia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I don't see it but respect your observations. It'll take years to make a difference, though, if you are right. Years. US was a much better airline in the 2011-2014 period, but former US customers were still dumping on it because their frame of reference was 10 years old and they didn't want to resample.
If you mean it will take years to reverse their reputation in the market, I completely agree. I was one of the US-haters who actually found it to be quite improved a couple years ago.

And pmUA had a poor reputation just prior to the merger, but I was actually very pleased with the operations, the service, and the MP program.

Hopefully they can make improvements, whether the broader market realizes it or not...Simply because I will notice.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Most of this is clearly not true.
In your opinion it may not be true, but it certainly matches my experiences. Check in at EWR as a 1K is anything but a VIP experience. The agents rarely look at you, acknowledge you, or offer anything but the bare minimum communication. For example, even if you offer a nice thank you at the end, it is met with "OK", not "you're welcome" etc.

While not quite as bad, I generally find the inflight crew to be similar. It's very inconsistent. I'm sorry, but while you can find attitude on any airline, I find it a lot more on United than anyone else I fly. I've probably flown Southwest 500 times in my life and I don't believe I've EVER had a bad, rude or anything negative experience.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:58 pm
RNE

I don't care as much about how I am treated by UA than that it gets me to my connections and destinations on time! This desire is particularly acute as there are fewer and fewer nonstop destinations from CLE.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
yes - underperformed - confirmed

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:37 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes me too - 2010.

Needs a Bethunesque transformation?

I will reread From Worst to First again tonight.
It's a good, yet dated read. Keeping in mind Gordo's business plan is over 20 years old. He got the employee empowerment and core values down pat, but I was never a fan of the Gordo philosophy of "if you want first class, PAY FOR IT!" or the pay for play & brag award circuit.

And contrary what NJ people believe, CO was a mess of an operation at EWR in the 1990s as well. Gordo couldn't save it's operational dysfunction and employee turmoil.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

Have you ever tried AC?
+1

Having made the move from AC to UA over the last 2 years I have been pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of UA staff, whether in person at check in, or over the phone, or in flight, when compared to what I had become used to with AC. There are some great AC staff but the organization also tolerates a lot of surly, unhelpful types. Less competition seems to breed less concern for the passenger. There are far fewer of those types on UA IME.

In addition I find UA to be more upfront and less deceptive than AC in its policies. Not perfect I agree but noticeably better.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The TOD upgrade issue started under CO before the merger. It has just perpetuated even more under UA. The method used to calculate individual segments for paid upgrade is flawed.

CO wanted to get more revenue for its F cabin, but I think in doing so, they now get less revenue for the entire flight. UA has the numbers, but I continue to see UA scaling back in many markets. Flights out of DCA are way down for the combined airline, with smaller aircraft and less number of seats.

You can try to improve the operational perception, but UA has a long way to improve its Frequent Flyer perception. UA is going after GS members and non-Elites, but non-Elites who buy the cheapest and don't really care about FF programs.

Some have no choice with corporate contracts and captive hubs, but many do have a choice, and UA is losing that choice.

It remains to be seen what the end result will be. And now with the revenue based FF program like DL - time will tell. As long as AA still has a mileage based program, UA is really non-competitive here.

If I were UA - I would try to make major changes to improve customer experience. First thing would be elimination of TODs. Offer an upgrade at time of ticket purchase and let that be it. Then let the priority CPU system work.

Second, make changes to the new FF program. Maybe not a complete overall again, but something to be competitive with AA. Again time will tell.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by cova
If I were UA - I would try to make major changes to improve customer experience. First thing would be elimination of TODs. Offer an upgrade at time of ticket purchase and let that be it. Then let the priority CPU system work.

Second, make changes to the new FF program. Maybe not a complete overall again, but something to be competitive with AA. Again time will tell.
People seem to think it is a complicated issue. It isn't, just stop screwing over your employees and passengers and the rest will take care of itself.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:22 pm

I have no issue with the staff. Trained by ex-Aeroflot? Give me a break!

The FA's on long haul flights are mostly high seniority (read Experience). That's what happens, lhrsfo, when you eliminate company pension plans! (Very British I might add).

You have an issue with bag drop for 1K? Care to elaborate?

The worst of your hyperbole is this:

I know of no normal airline in the West which has staff who are so off-hand to the passengers.

Have you ever tried AC?
It's a subjective impression just like yours. I think the staff are pretty rude on all American carriers but UA probably just about "wins" in that department.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Show Me The Money

Originally Posted by StingWest
Another area of deliberate under-performance: Complimentary Premier Upgrades (aka Unlimited Domestic Upgrades). This idea was flawed from the beginning and should be scrapped in favor of a paid upgrade system where the paid upgrades get priority over last minute sales. Sort of like the 500 mile certificate system that UA used to have (or the coupon system that AA has)
Or they could have both. Priority would be a) direct purchase, b) paid upgrades (coupons), c) complimentary. Pre-merger, the old United left seats unoccupied in the forward section, some people defended that move as preserving their value.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
At this rate, American and US Air will be fully integrated before United and Continental. Just the name United Continental Holdings is misleading. American Airlines Group only brings the word Group from US Airways Group. But its CLEARLY American Airlines rather than two separate airlines.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Interesting read on how United Continental Holdings is trying to turn its bad reputation:

Can United Continental turn the tide? - Investopedia

United Continental understands that its underperformance compared to its peers results in part from its customer service reputation, and it has taken steps to try to improve its operations. In January, Chief Operating Officer Greg Hart detailed a number of projects geared toward improving on-time arrival and departure performance, which plays a huge role in ensuring passengers make connecting flights and don't have to deal with the hassles of rebooking entire itineraries on the fly."

At least it seems they're starting to acknowledge their underperformance.

http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFGalaga...pippit10000001

Author? Dan Caplinger "Dan Caplinger is a contract writer for The Motley Fool. In addition to his writing, Dan works as an independent financial consultant and estate-planning attorney. Finding that taking one bar exam wasn't enough punishment, he took three (and passed them all!) and went on to become a CFP (certified financial planner) professional in 2004 before voluntarily relinquished the designation in 2012. Dan focuses on making complex legal and financial concepts easier to understand. His experience in drafting legal documents, administering trusts and estates, and developing personal financial plans all contributes to the content of his articles. Although he generally doesn't pay attention to conspiracy theories, Dan has a healthy skepticism of the mainstream financial industry"

At least, unlike our old friend Adam Levine-Weinberg, Dan has taken and passed the Bar Exam 3(!) times.

Reviewing AL-W's latest, it appears he now is less negative on UA than in the past: United Airlines Is Turning the Corner

It appears he got squeezed hard enough, as his profile also indicates he is no longer short UAL.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Longboater
Just the name United Continental Holdings is misleading.
I don't think it's misleading at all. In fact, it's quite accurate.

There are still differences in service standards (they might be standardized on paper, but in practice, they crews and agents handle things differently -- sometimes very differently).

The branding is a hybrid of United and Continental (United name, Continental logo/paintjob).

And we all know that flight attendants are not yet integrated.

Originally Posted by Longboater
American Airlines Group only brings the word Group from US Airways Group. But its CLEARLY American Airlines rather than two separate airlines.
Same thing as when you look at the tail. Delta looks like Delta, American looks like American. United looks like Continental. United Continental Holdings is an appropriate name for this airline.

But while branding is a problem, it's not as high a priority as other areas (customer service, operations, technology, etc.). Once they clean that stuff up, a rebrand may be in order to show they turned a new leaf. They can also fix the name at that time.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I have no issue with the staff. Trained by ex-Aeroflot? Give me a break!
It is clearly true in my experience. You should read some of my accounts in other threads -- like an FA who refused to give me a water bottle in Global First, or the one who wouldn't serve a meal to my 2 YO, even though he was in a paid BF seat. Two weeks ago, I watched an FA ignore the entire cabin while she did here taxes in the galley (forms spread out on every flat surface). It's really quite incredible.

I'd reckon about 20% of UA FAs are really good; 30% are just OK; and the other 50% should be fired.

The FA's on long haul flights are mostly high seniority (read Experience).
No. Read crabby, tired, and imbued with an unbelievable sense of entitlement. The worst possible combination. I've also seen some on overseas flights that looked so decrepit I felt like I should help them up the upper deck stairs.

OMG, try Lufthansa, SG, or just about any other carrier and the scales will fall from your eyes about what real service can be.

Last edited by porciuscato; Mar 18, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by porciuscato

I'd reckon about 20% of UA FAs are really good; 30% are just OK; and the other 50% should be fired.

No. Read crabby, tired, and imbued with an unbelievable sense of entitlement. The worst possible combination. I've also seen some on overseas flights that looked so decrepit I felt like I should help them up the upper deck stairs.

OMG, try Lufthansa, SG, or just about any other carrier and the scales will fall from your eyes about what real service can be.
I just flew Delta SFO-DTW and then on. It was a domestic 763, very senior crew (on FA told me she had worked for DL for 42 years). Service was exceptional. Friendly, helpful, funny. The "sassy waitress" vibe.

The thing that stuck out in my mind was the FA, when I asked for coffee saying "oh, and its now starbucks." She and the rest of the crew were happy to work for a company that (1) values their work, and (2) gives them the tools to succeed.

If I worked for UA, I would be lazy as well, but that is because I would have signed up for quality job, and suddenly found myself working at a company like McDonalds or Walmart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.