Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
why not all of the above? At this point you've got nothing to lose.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Find someone who has an expiring GPU to upgrade you.....
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
zero chance.

If W-class or higher use a GPU, else look for cheap upgrade offers at OLCI.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:27 pm

One AMS-EWR the other day my fiancé got upgraded toBF she's just a silver. So any things possible if it's that empty
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
One AMS-EWR the other day my fiancé got upgraded toBF she's just a silver. So any things possible if it's that empty
if coach is oversold then yes ... else, fat chance
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you want to play seat roulette, never select a seat at check in. Once you do, you aren't going to get moved to a better place as a surprise unless there is an equipment swap or IRROPS.
I know this is not correct. I've been op-up'd twice. In both occasions, I had already selected E+ seats.

Some have speculated about the 60 minutes check-in cutoff (in the case of international).

As a data point, they do process some op-up's well before the 60 minute cutoff. In my case, ~85-90 minutes prior to departure. I'm sure in many other cases they wait to get as much data about number of customers likely to actually show, before processing operational upgrades.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
zero chance.

If W-class or higher use a GPU, else look for cheap upgrade offers at OLCI.
What is OLCI?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by tr1gger
What is OLCI?
Short for On Line Check In
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:50 am

Excited to receive my first op-up! LHR-EWR, and on a saver award. I don't know if it makes a difference, but at the time I booked, there were only middle seats available, so I didn't bother selecting anything. When I checked in, I was given an aisle E+ seat in the center (my preference), and just now got a passbook notification that my seat was changed to BF. Also, earlier in the day the flight status indicated economy was full and BF had 11 seats "blocked".
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmannion
...Also, earlier in the day the flight status indicated economy was full and BF had 11 seats "blocked".
Likely meaning economy was overbooked by 11 and you were one of 11 lucky op-up passengers.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:24 am

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Last week, I was upgraded on Asiana on a flight from Seoul to Harbin, China due to my Star Alliance Gold status. I never heard of that before, but I am not complaining.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flying EWR-BRU tomorrow, 27/40 BF booked (I'm in this bucket, upgraded using miles + copy), 0/8 GF booked - no one on the waiting list yet either (so no NRSAs)...seems like there is space in Y+ (only) as well. Think there is any chance they decide to surprise and delight a Platinum (and future 1K in ~1 month) tomorrow?!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:56 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flying EWR-BRU tomorrow, 27/40 BF booked (I'm in this bucket, upgraded using miles + copy), 0/8 GF booked - no one on the waiting list yet either (so no NRSAs)...seems like there is space in Y+ (only) as well. Think there is any chance they decide to surprise and delight a Platinum (and future 1K in ~1 month) tomorrow?!
If you've already upgraded from a Y fare, your chances are virtually nil. Sorry... Paid tickets, GS, 1K all ahead of you, if they upgrade anyone (and they may not).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ssh
If you've already upgraded from a Y fare, your chances are virtually nil. Sorry... Paid tickets, GS, 1K all ahead of you, if they upgrade anyone (and they may not).
Yeah, I have no delusions. But I'll ask the GA anyways about options and see if I can foster any generosity out of those exemplary EWR employees...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:14 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yeah, I have no delusions. But I'll ask the GA anyways about options and see if I can foster any generosity out of those exemplary EWR employees...
Never hurts to ask.

...or to bring bribes... Chocolate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.