Search

Remember when... [UA Nostalgia]?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Remember when...

...they played Halfway to Hawaii?
Remember it... I WON IT- on my Honeymoon. Actually I filled out my brides card and marked it Dr.Tin since she had just finished med school- and it always annoyed her. I think I came in second place. I wonder if we won because we were on our Honeymoon.

Just to add some reality. My MIL gave us upgrades, but the counter at DEN for some reason didn't want to give them to us. The supervisor kept on telling the agent that the upgrade was valid, but agent seemed to be looking for a way to keep us out of F. The old days weren't all awesome service. That was my first ride in F.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I remember from back in the late 80s when I just started to fly and did a mileage run circling the country. Was upgrade to F from ORD to SEA and there was a very large wooden salad bowl on a cart in the aisle which the flight attendant used to mix all the salad ingredients so that each person would get a freshly made salad.

I also clearly remember an experience in F on CO when the flight attendant could not figure out how to pour wine while holding a bottle of white in one hand and red in the other. She put one open bottle in the aisle as she poured, then picked up the one in the aisle and went to the next person. Had never seen that done before.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Widebodies on transcons.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:08 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Remember your very first ride in First Class?

Remember when you could get friendly with the FAs?

Nowadays you want to forget your recent ride in First Class.

Nowadays you can't get friendly with the FAs.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mkr
Remember your very first ride in First Class?

Remember when you could get friendly with the FAs?

Nowadays you want to forget your recent ride in First Class.

Nowadays you can't get friendly with the FAs.
Not sure if there is an underlying commentary with regard to getting friendly.

But when it comes to flying, no matter which cabin I am in, I enjoy myslef. But I am an unusually happy person! Truth is, I almost always have an enjoyable experience on UA.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Remember it... I WON IT- on my Honeymoon. Actually I filled out my brides card and marked it Dr.Tin since she had just finished med school- and it always annoyed her. I think I came in second place. I wonder if we won because we were on our Honeymoon.

Just to add some reality. My MIL gave us upgrades, but the counter at DEN for some reason didn't want to give them to us. The supervisor kept on telling the agent that the upgrade was valid, but agent seemed to be looking for a way to keep us out of F. The old days weren't all awesome service. That was my first ride in F.
They still played halfway to Hawaii on a flight that I took last year from SFO to KOA.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:22 pm

Upgrades

...When I got upgraded as Silver on CO from IAH to LGA - my first ever upgrade back in 2006.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:25 pm

I flew to and from Hawaii on UA last year, and they played Halfway to Hawaii both times. Or maybe it was a different game or the prizes used to be better in the past?

The prize was a guidebook last year.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by windhund
I flew to and from Hawaii on UA last year, and they played Halfway to Hawaii both times. Or maybe it was a different game or the prizes used to be better in the past?

The prize was a guidebook last year.
Same here. That was the prize handed out on my flight as well.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I miss:
  • Channel 9
  • FC ticket stock
  • When first was first, business was business and business wasn't first.
  • The Tulip
  • When United flights at small airports, like my home in ROC, were auctually worked by UA employees.
  • DEQM
  • RDM - well I guess we won't miss those until March 2nd
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
My grandmother brought a pistol on board with her (year probably 1967). It was my dad's WWII pistol and she brought it from Charlotte, NC to Jax, FL on a small prop.

I don't remember the airline though. Just thought it was funny.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
People talk bad about TED, but I actually miss TED! I no longer have access to 8-10 non stops on ORD-LAS. I no longer can get to PHX. TED was what it was, but I enjoyed it. The LAS crew was always great, and always comped my drinks. It was just like first class but in an exit row.

I miss the blocked middle seats for 1K. Those were great... back to TED, the gate agents in LAS did a great job in making sure they kept the middle open next to me..
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
My grandmother brought a pistol on board with her (year probably 1967). It was my dad's WWII pistol and she brought it from Charlotte, NC to Jax, FL on a small prop.

I don't remember the airline though. Just thought it was funny.
Well, you needed to do that in case of gremlins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dar2HKImK-0
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Your elite packet came with a seating guide. I used to carry it in my travel portfolio in case of an aircraft swap or a reroute.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:47 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Remember when Elites were "fairly entitled"...now they are "overentitled".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.