Remember when... [UA Nostalgia]?

Old Feb 18, 15, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Remember when... [UA Nostalgia]?

1) 1ks received paper swu vouchers in their packets. It was like opening a treasure chest!

2) we could refare tickets without a change fee? The residual would come in the mail in what looked like a new ticket. I would carefully tear out the voucher and store it. Sometimes, the vouchers were for less than a dollar. Other times, in the hundreds.

3) I would take the above vouchers and go to one of the many cto's in the LA area.

4) we could change international tickets without a fee as long as the new fare was higher.

Last edited by zrs70; Feb 18, 15 at 3:16 pm
Old Feb 18, 15, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
1) 1ks received paper swu vouchers in their packets. It was like opening a treasure chest!

2) we could refare tickets with a change fee? The residual would come in the mail in what looked like a new ticket. I would carefully tear out the voucher and store it. Sometimes, the vouchers were for less than a dollar. Other times, in the hundreds.

3) I would take the above vouchers and go to one of the many cto's in the LA area.

4) we could change international tickets without a fee as long as the new fare was higher.
1) Yes, plus you could use them against practically any fare.

2) They were called MCOs, IIRC. I ended up at one point with nearly $14k worth of them (long, long story). Flew free for a year.

4) And if they were lower, you'd get an MCO. That's who I got mine. Changing R/T business tickets to RTWs back when they were a good price.
Old Feb 18, 15, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Now you're getting me all nostalgic sitting at my desk and thinking back to how good we had it.

I still have $4.20 MCO sitting around somewhere. Decided to hold onto it as a souvenir rather than cash it in.

Those CTOs were great.

Maybe we can just summarize Remember When.... life was so much better as a United flyer?
Old Feb 18, 15, 12:43 pm

2) we could refare tickets with a change fee? The residual would come in the mail in what looked like a new ticket. I would carefully tear out the voucher and store it. Sometimes, the vouchers were for less than a dollar. Other times, in the hundreds.

5) Remember when United gave out all this candy so you would overlook all their other shortcomings, (Summer from Hell, Ted) and underinvestment in their products

6) Remember when after giving away all these freebies, they declared bankruptcy and had the longest in aviation history. Coupled with not nearly enough improvements in re-organziation, they had to continue to doll out free candy to keep passenger for overlooking their miserable service, dated fleet, and inconsistent branding.

6) Remember when United was flying three different liveries for nearly 5 years because they couldn't get their act together.

7) Remember Ted

ahh, the good old days.
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by airzim View Post
5) Remember when United gave out all this candy so you would overlook all their other shortcomings, (Summer from Hell, Ted) and underinvestment in their products
I got candy on my last flight. UAX, a mint wrapped in blue with "united" printed on it.
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
7) Remember Ted
I don't have to remember TED - I seem to be flying it all the time these days (although I can't figure out why all their planes have the Continental logo on them).
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)

1. Just before my time. Started to goto electronic SWU as I started 1k.

2. That was fantastic.

4. Don't remember as I never changed international travel often when I first started as a 1k.

6) Remember when after giving away all these freebies, they declared bankruptcy and had the longest in aviation history. Coupled with not nearly enough improvements in re-organziation, they had to continue to doll out free candy to keep passenger for overlooking their miserable service, dated fleet, and inconsistent branding.

6) Remember when United was flying three different liveries for nearly 5 years because they couldn't get their act together.

7) Remember Ted

ahh, the good old days.
5. Was only a GM for the summer of hell.

6. And listening to all the crew think if UA went out of business would be non effective to them.

6b. Ah but it was good to know just how old the plane was you were getting on.

7. TED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8) remember when it was a SWU and UA treated its value in the thousands

9) remember 500 mile upgrades and the regionals that got issued every quarter

10) remember when agents could actually force changes ignore fees and do anything with Apollo.

11) remember the recliner business seat

12) remember the semi retired 747 brought out of moth balls for summer flights and doing hub->hub flights

13) remember having FC to Asia from lax

14) remember when SDC only required an available seat and not fare

15) remember how most everybody hated Tilton and wanted a change up top

Last edited by swm61230; Feb 18, 15 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:22 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Remember when we used to say "Remember when we had United Connection?"?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-software.html
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It's easy to remember the good things, harder to remember the bad (even if they seemed good at the time).

The bad: A TED plane substitute for a flight you had used a E500 on. The good, asking a GA to make up for this and actually getting something better on your next trip.

The bad: Spending the night in the old Stapleton Airport. The good, knowing the right people at UA in the current day to make life better.

The bad: Trying to have a battery make it a full day with the old brick phone. The Good: a smart phone that can do everything, but still dies by noon.
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
zrs70 -- z'chor!

Double upgrades were not only possible, but frequent - with 500s.

Connoisseur class.

The Ionosphere Club.

MP numbers that began with 000 (as did mine!).

UA to BKK
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
1. Meeting Grandma at the gate

2. Actually took a girl in high-school to watch planes take off at ORD at night, from inside the concourse B after riding the new truly rad underground light show. Best time ever at ORD by far....

3. Smoking on a plane. We complain about smelly people. You couldn't smell people before. All those matches, lighters, fluids- oh, my.

In the days of 'Ted' I'd annoy GA by calling standard flights 'Uni-Ted'.
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA (Silver), WN
Smile Hand Written Tickets

Remember those hand written airline tickets with all these red carbon copies? Erasures and corrections were readily accepted! Eating of real china with metal knives and forks!
Old Feb 18, 15, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Stopping in the 1K rooms @ ORD/SFO where people who knew what they were doing and were happy to do so solved problems for you...
Old Feb 18, 15, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Having an expired paper swu and being able to have the ticket counter honor it.

Going to the CTO, booking an INTL flight, using miles to UG that would automatically clear.

Last edited by spearsba; Feb 18, 15 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 18, 15, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
The pilot would invite kids up to the cockpit during a flight

Getting free food on every flight

Channel 9

Search this Thread