Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
I finally decided to reach out to UA’s 1K desk about this route. I know it’s united’s prerogative to do whatever they want with their rewards program, but it’s awfully self-serving on this route. I’m flying it in two weeks and I find it absurd you need a GPU and W fare class to upgrade this. The difference between my K and the W just on the one way back to the US from Manila was more than $600.

My argument to them was its it’s either an international flight and baggage and meals should be included (they still make you buy on board food for a 7 hour flight) or it’s a domestic flight and you should be able to RPU without fare class requirement. It’s the same equipment that runs from Chicago, Denver, and Houston to Honolulu - all equal or longer flights.

I doubt they’ll do anything, but it’s gonna be jammed pack in economy and a miserable flight with 10 across in high density economy. Every seat gets filled with Non-Revs. If the timing didn’t work out so well to be able to take a red eye from Manila and wake up two mornings later in San Francisco and just be six hours later than you left - I’d have gone through Taipei or Narita.

Will share the response I get.

Happy travels.
Originally Posted by Kmxu

I am sure that you will get a canned response. United wants to make its own employees (NonRevs) happy. No change will happen, sadly.
you were right —- canned response.

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

I understand how you would see that a Regional should be used instead of a Global. Especially when there is no First class perks on the flight. I will escalate your feedback for consideration of either being treated as domestic flight or upgrade to better cabin options/benefits.

I would love to pass along your feedback regarding the agent that was very helpful. What is your confirmation number?

My apologies you did not receive a reply to your original email.

We look forward to your reply.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

MileagePlus® Service Center

[/QUOTE]

What’s even better is when I sent them the confirmation number like they requested, I got this email back:

I’m sorry, but the MileagePlus Service Center is unable to assist with reservations (whether paid or using miles). For assistance, please call United Reservations at 800-756-1000.

As a Premier 1K member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Typical United.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I just noticed when upgrading an employee from GUM-HNL that it is only 20 Pluspoints. This used to cost a GPU. Searching this thread for "Guam" shows this was not mentioned before in this thread. This is actually good news as this route is treated by United as a domestic in terms of quality and service.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
I just noticed when upgrading an employee from GUM-HNL that it is only 20 Pluspoints. This used to cost a GPU. Searching this thread for "Guam" shows this was not mentioned before in this thread. This is actually good news as this route is treated by United as a domestic in terms of quality and service.
This was changed as part of the Plus Points rollout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.