Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Originally Posted by anandrag
Bizarre
I've taken this route many times the last couple of years. There was indeed a bug in the system that allowed GPU usage for anything under a W fare, contrary to the rules for this segment.

This bug has been indeed fixed and you cannot upgrade online....but....the rule is a confusion still to many agents. Traveled MNL-GUM-HNL-EWR a few weeks ago and called in to check on my upgrade status for HNL-EWR and the agent wondered why I wasn't upgraded on the GUM-HNL route with my GPU and manually did so for me. However, as I was on a K fare this was technically against the rules I guess?

When I called in a few days later to check on the upgrade status for the HNL-EWR leg again, the GUM-HNL upgrade was flagged by another agent. Told me I wasn't supposed to be upgraded as I needed at least a W fare.

Put me on hold for about 5 minutes and told me they would honor it as it was their mistake but put a note on the file.

Best advice is to call in and inquire....you may get an agent that will apply the upgrade for you. But technically it's not allowed under the upgrade rules.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thank you, Baley. My poster was not bizarre. It is totally consistent with your best advice.
Anyway, this GUM-HNL flight's BF cabin is United Nonrev party center; that is, the cabin is filled with all UA employees on vacation to GUM.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It worked on S fare for me. Not sure the pecking order off the top of my head but I think it's below W, no?
Originally Posted by Kmxu
An agent was able to apply a GPU on K fare (HKG-GUM-HNL-EWR) and the first two flights were cleared instantly. Unfortunately, I did not want to waste a GPU for GUM-HNL.So, I put the GPU back and used a RPU on HKG-GUM. The implication of this is that RPU was no longer valid for GUM-HNL, but GPU on any fare worked for GUM-HNL. Anyway, this is just a recent data point (about ten days ago). Happy travel.
Both very interesting data points. The UA website indicates that for GUM-HNL and vice versa must be a W fare or higher. Clearly that isn't the case in the two above circumstances. Not sure if UA is just being flexible or if there is some sort of continued system glitch. This route really needs to be RPU eligible NOT GPU or miles and money ONLY.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:51 pm

Anybody still able to get the GPUs or even RPUs applied to GUM-HNL under fare W? I am seriously contemplating a trip to HKG through HNL, but I need to know if this indeed still works.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Anybody still able to get the GPUs or even RPUs applied to GUM-HNL under fare W? I am seriously contemplating a trip to HKG through HNL, but I need to know if this indeed still works.
Not recently (as of last month, at least). I believe this loophole was closed about a year ago.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I had a return trip from Guam to Seattle back in August. Went GUM-HNL-SFO-SEA and was on a W fare. Applied a GPU and the upgrade cleared a few days later. RPU was not an option online for me. However, a colleague said they were able to apply a RPU but not clear how or if they were mistaken.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:34 am

Is GUM-HNL route becoming a CPU eligible?

Moderater: please feel free to merge it to another thread.
I checked into GUM-HNL flight very early. I was surprised to see my name on upgrade standby list. I purchased a K fare. The flight is still 8 hour away. But I notice that are 48 people on the upgrade standby list at this moment. Does UA reallly change this route to CPU eligible?
Thanks.
Edit: just checked UA site. The answer is no. So, SHARE is rogue for this flight. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/upgrade/default.aspx

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 5, 2017 at 5:46 am Reason: Check UA site
Old Mar 5, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
i would bet that there are 48 standby non revs for that flight instead of 48 on the ug list that are booked on it. i have been to anderson afb a few times and when i was flying out to honolulu there was over 80 standbys for that flight, was told that alot of pacific islander ua employee families travel back and forth to honolulu. so if they are listed for f/j then they would show as standing by for the premium cabin
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
OP said their name was on the UG list as well. I'm assuming they're not a non-rev posting here.

I managed to get GUM-HNL-SFO on all one RPU last year.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I managed to get GUM-HNL-SFO on all one RPU last year.
Have RPU ever been a problem on this route?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Have RPU ever been a problem on this route?
Well, considering that GUM-HNL is listed as GPU, W+ class required, I'd say clearing an RPU on it was pretty nice. :-)

I have a trip coming up where I ended up opting to go via NRT because I couldn't confirm an upgrade on any HNL-mainland (or vv) flight. (HNL-GUM and GUM-HNL were both wide open, though).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The history of this flight segment has been very confused -- such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ger-works.html. Generally if a flight segment is RPU eligible, it will be CPU eligible (with the notable lie flat domestic route exceptions -- PS and Mainland-Hawaii flights)
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:34 am

Removed!

The list has been trimmed down. My name is gone, too. There is now only one paying customer plus all Nonrev fighting for two remaining seats. Cheers!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:38 am

Definitely a computer glitch. HNL-GUM should be CPU, at the least RPU eligible, because the service has downgraded significantly over the years to a basic domestic first class service. Would have been interesting if your CPU cleared though....you got my hope up a little.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No change in posted policy. UA still explicitly states HNL-GUM is not CPU or RPU eligible. Can disagree if this should be true, but it is what UA states.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.