Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are GPU Required for GUM-HNL Flights? {now 20 PlusPoints}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
This is very interesting. I'm going to be booking for a Guam trip soon so I'll route through HNL to check this out. I feel there seems to be an error because you should have been able to use the RPU all the way to HKG since GUM-HKG is CPU and RPU eligible.

However, if UA is allowing RPUs from GUM-HNL that would be good since the service has been significantly downgraded.
or at least make GUM-HNL RPU'able until those 777's are refitted with the lie flats they're supposed to get (I'm sorry, I thought I read it in one of the posts, not meaning to spark anything off topic here)?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by trust77
or at least make GUM-HNL RPU'able until those 777's are refitted with the lie flats they're supposed to get (I'm sorry, I thought I read it in one of the posts, not meaning to spark anything off topic here)?
True but, as a counterpoint, IAD-HNL uses the 764s with lie-flats and you can use an RPU for that leg. So with that logic why not an RPU even if the 777 domestics get lie-flats in C. I think the tool used for upgrade really aligns more with the quality of service and since UA moved C service from BusinessFirst to a domestic First service I think that makes an RPU more useful.

I'll report back once I book the flight....
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
... since GUM-HKG is CPU and RPU eligible.

However, if UA is allowing RPUs from GUM-HNL that would be good since the service has been significantly downgraded.
I know, and I do not think I will call this in. I would rather have HNL-GUM in J confirmed and take my chances with CPU for GUM-HKG segment. I took HNL-GUM in Y last year and it was horrid even after few cocktails.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I know, and I do not think I will call this in. I would rather have HNL-GUM in J confirmed and take my chances with CPU for GUM-HKG segment. I took HNL-GUM in Y last year and it was horrid even after few cocktails.
The meaningful difference between an international and domestic flight is the presence or absence of international airlines competing on the route.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
If you play the call back game, I was able a year or so ago to get upgraded YYZ-IAD-HNL-GUM on a one-way reservation to MNL with only using a CPU.

I had instantly confirmed at booking the YYZ-IAD and IAD-HNL legs... and called back four or five times and finally spoke to an agent to confirmed the upgrade using an RPU for me and my travel buddy without having to 'buy-up' to the W fare. We were flying on a one-way ticket to MNL for approx. $500 USD from YYZ.

Sometimes you get lucky.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: UA GS
This is very interesting. I'm going to be booking for a Guam trip soon so I'll route through HNL to check this out. I feel there seems to be an error because you should have been able to use the RPU all the way to HKG since GUM-HKG is CPU and RPU eligible.

I have a round trip reservation LAX/HNL/GUM/MNL in October. After reading this thread, I checked to see if I could be upgraded on the HNL/GUM segments. In the Reservations area, I went to the Upgrade option, which indicated that I could use either a RPU or GPU to upgrade.

When I went to "purchase" the upgrade using 2 RPU's, I received an "error". When I log back in, I could not see if I was upgrade (i.e. would not display seat assignments), but I did notice that 2 RPU's were taken from my account.

Tonight I just checked and I saw that I was indeed upgraded to BusinessFirst on the HNL/GUM flight and the return GUM/HNL flight.

I was also upgraded on the LAX/HNL outbound, but not on the return (even though there was R availability). I believe the system was confused (international date line) with the GUM/HNL segment. It shows me leaving on a Tuesday at 6:35 am from Guam and arriving in HNL at 5:50 pm (Tuesday). Then I am taking a flight at 9 pm (Monday) to get back to the mainland. I am wondering if I should call this in. I'm concerned that the agent will realize that I shouldn't be upgraded on the HNL/GUM segments and rescind those segments. It does show I'm eligible for CPU on the HNL flight and I'll probably take my chances (I've been CPU upgraded on almost all my Hawaii flights).

So, it appears that the "Glitch" is still available.

Last edited by PBAudit; Jul 17, 2015 at 9:16 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
New data point - just able to use a RPU on the HNL-GUM segment. Initially it came up as available for an instant upgrade BUT it didn't process. Went back and was able to use a RPU and save the GPU for a future flight.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
RPU question regarding GUM-HNL (or reverse)

Last time a friend of mine bought a last minute ticket on UA for HNL-GUM-HKG on W class. The HNL-GUM leg is UA201. He asked if I can upgrade him using my GPU, so I tried and the united site gave me an option to upgrade using:
1. miles
2. gpu
3. rpu

I am surprised to see the option of RPU is given. I tried and it succeeded.

Now I am going to take the same route as well, and after some research reading I found that the HNL-GUM route is actually ineligible for RPU. So why does UA give me the option at that time? If I book the ticket with UA, can I use RPU as well? Does it have anything to do with the fare class?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:44 pm

That's a new one. Last time I flew that route (SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL), UA wanted a GPU for HNL-GUM. I only had an RPU, and got upgraded for SFO-HNL and GUM-MNL, but not the longer HNL-GUM.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I confirmed my upgrade with an RPU flying GUM-HNL-SFO. Island Hopper in Y to get to GUM and RPUd EWR-HNL.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zig2
Last time a friend of mine bought a last minute ticket on UA for HNL-GUM-HKG on W class. The HNL-GUM leg is UA201. He asked if I can upgrade him using my GPU, so I tried and the united site gave me an option to upgrade using:
1. miles
2. gpu
3. rpu

I am surprised to see the option of RPU is given. I tried and it succeeded.

Now I am going to take the same route as well, and after some research reading I found that the HNL-GUM route is actually ineligible for RPU. So why does UA give me the option at that time? If I book the ticket with UA, can I use RPU as well? Does it have anything to do with the fare class?
Yes, I was able to upgrade this segment with a RPU that I flew about 10 days ago. I had K fare class. I do not know why the RPU was okay. This segment is shorter that ORD-HNL, which is CPU eligible. Happy travels.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:39 pm

So it seems RPUs can be used now so I wonder why they haven't updated the webpage overall? A "secret" benefit or, being more cynical, maybe a system glitch?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it seems RPUs can be used now so I wonder why they haven't updated the webpage overall? A "secret" benefit or, being more cynical, maybe a system glitch?
Let's just be happy!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Let's just be happy!
I am happy, but come on. Is it a glitch or a new policy?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
It is a new policy, I guess :)

Originally Posted by chavala
I am happy, but come on. Is it a glitch or a new policy?
I do not think that it is a glitch. If you check the flight status (both upgrade standby list and seat map) of recent UA 200 flights, there is a long list (and many upgraded) pax and no empty seat in Business. I would guess further that this route becomes CPU eligible, as HNL-ORD. On my flight on Oct. 5, the Business cabin was full, too, but I used a RPU for upgrade. So, I cannot confirm whether or not this route becomes CPU eligible. Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.