Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Turns out UA isn't so bad compared to AA and DL!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Just flew LAX-MIA-LAX on AA 777-200 in J and F using BA Avios, since UA doesn't offer LAX-MIA nonstop any more and since SNA (my home airport) didn't give the best schedule through IAH.

The AA 777-200 is a rare 3 class flight that AA uses to continue for international service from both LAX and MIA, and I picked it so I could compare the international seating options between AA and UA.

Well, it turns out that AA isn't so much better than UA, after all. Despite all the griping on so many forums including FT, I still prefer UA premium seating and service...and look forward to trying out the new food options since they've revamped their menus.

My LAX-MIA J class seat is angle flat with a TERRIBLE IFE. Food was solid, but service was just OK. The fact that UA has completely true lay flat seats in international business makes UA the obvious winner for me. The fact that UA has one of the best IFEs in the business also makes UA the winner...but I was shocked at how poor the AA IFE was. The control unit was old, with missing labels, and the monitor was tiny compared to UA's. The menus were confusing and not easily navigated, and the inventory of movies was really poor. There were about 14 new releases, few of which really impressed, and the action/comedy/drama categories had 3-5 offerings--truly unimpressive selection. UA's IFE has hundreds of movies on offer, bigger screens, and easier to navigate menus. The power outlet required an adapter, and even with the adapter it only offers neutral charging (for my iPad or Samsung Galaxy S5)...meaning it didn't charge them as much as prevent them from losing charge.

My MIA-LAX F class seat is true lay flat and about the same size as UA GF, but the layout is odd, with a swivel seat that is 90 degrees upright until after takeoff--VERY uncomfortable, and not directly in front of the opposite footrest seat, making it awkward. The seat does feel a wee bit more spacious overall than the UA GF seat, however. Once in flight, you can swivel the seat so you are directly opposite the footrest and then recline as you wish, but it wasn't as comfortable as the UA GF seat in general, even when laying fully flat. The same terrible IFE made F seem paltry compared to UA. And the service was very unfriendly--our FA never smiled, never said thank you or you're welcome whenever I interacted with her, and generally seemed unhappy to be there and not happy that I was. It was the worst service I've had in years...and much worse than anything I've had in UA GF or domestic F in the last 5 years, at least.

Conclusion: I'm sticking with UA. If a destination requires a nonstop that UA doesn't serve, I'd consider AA, but only in F--at least the seat is more spacious than the J seat. Otherwise, I'd consider DL if I had to fly in J...but to me UA GF is still the best American carrier option for the USA market.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Agreed: United isn't that bad at all

Agreed. I have come to like Continental 2.0. I don't like the new name, but then I still think Istanbul isn't working out well. I really like both AA and DL, but I'll probably start flying United (née Continental) more this year. I really like what they've done to the elite program, but as I scan through threads, I see many others don't. For those that move to AA and earn Executive Platinum, you'll enjoy it. However, since they've pulled the 762s from LAX to JFK, the upgrades are harder to get. In my experience, EXP is the best earned level in the domestic FF programs.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Nothing OP says is wrong -- UA is moving up a bit, AA down a bit -- both airlines service varies widely. When AA does get its new J in -- already in the 77Ws it will be well ahead of the two UA J products. That said, the AA 763 product is probably about equal.

I agree with OP -- take the airline with the best schedule and if you dont have status buy F if you can.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Maybe you should ask UA to serve LAX-MIA. They might put a new 739 with no TVs on it.

I'd love to see a regularly scheduled 3-cabin transcon widebody on UA like you had on AA.

Last edited by channa; Feb 10, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I will take the AVOIS on AA anyday, UA is a nice ride, with me it is price and schedule.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL did take the lead last week in the race to the FF bottom with its no-advance-notice "we no longer publish award charts" maneuver.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
merged consecutive posts by same member

Originally Posted by channa
Maybe you should ask UA to serve LAX-MIA. They might put a new 739 with on TVs on it.

I'd love to see a regularly scheduled 3-cabin transcon widebody on UA like you had on AA.
No airline serves all routes equally as well as the others.

AA serves LAX-MIA with a widebody because both LAX and MIA are hubs (LAX being a mini-hub at the moment) from which that 1 772 continues onto Asia from LAX and South America/Europe from MIA. MIA isn't a hub at all for UA, so UA would never serve that with more than a 739--it wouldn't make sense. Please keep in mind that all of the OTHER AA LAX-MIA flights ARE on 739s.

As I said, and others below have agreed, I prefer a nonstop whenever possible. If I fly SNA-SLC or SNA-ATL, I use DL. If I fly SNA-DEN or SNA-ORD or SNA-EWR or SNA-SFO, I fly UA. If I fly SNA-SEA I fly AS. If I fly SNA-DFW, I fly AA. When I have to fly from LAX because the nonstop doesn't exist from SNA, I fly UA first and then AA or DL or VX or AS as schedule favors.

When I fly internationally, I fly almost always from LAX--but use whatever airline I can get nonstop for the best deal for F if at all possible, using miles if possible or paid when necessary.

When I had to go to Moscow, I flew Aeroflot in J LAX-SVO instead of SNA-SFO-FRA-SVO using *A. When I went to Burma, I flew OZ F LAX-ICN and OZ J ICN-YGN. When I returned from HKG, I flew CX F HKG-LAX. When I had to go to Paris, I flew AF in J LAX-CDG. When I went to South Africa this past December, I flew UA F LAX-LHR and SA J LHR-JNB--but returned on Emirates F CPT-DXB-LAX for a great price.

In the end, I've flown international and USA domestic and intra-Europe and intra-Africa on far more airlines than most, usually in F or J, but occasionally in Econ.

It turns out that UA GF is still pretty good to me, with a very comfortable seat, decent food and service, and one of the best IFE out there (IMO only CX has better...though I've not yet flown SQ!). And I can almost always use miles to get UA GF! UA BF is solid, though given the chance I'd always pay more/use more miles for GF since I'm 6'2" and need more seat pitch/bed length.

UA domestic F is sufficient but nothing special...but then that's generally true for DL BE and AA domestic F as well, IMO. But I can always use miles to get UA domestic F, so it's easy. UA domestic F (and AA and DL) are still better than the fake intra-Europe F on every Euro carrier, and even TK.

I am sticking with UA because UA works very well for me, both domestically and internationally--with relatively easy award redemptions and occasional regional upgrades domestically. But I have no compunction about flying another airline in international F when the nonstop offers me that option on another partner or non-partner carrier using miles or when I rarely need to pay for it.

Originally Posted by Kacee
DL did take the lead last week in the race to the FF bottom with its no-advance-notice "we no longer publish award charts" maneuver.
DL SkyPesos were largely worthless even before this latest DL move...unless you use them to upgrade because you are a DL elite and live near one of their hub cities (and have no choice). Of course, you can become DL elite just by credit card spend (which is how I've always gotten it when I've needed it). But it just isn't worth it to me since I fly internationally so often and definitely prefer a true F if at all possible.

Say what you want about UA's devaluation...but it has made it much easier to redeem for awards now if you have the increased miles.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin

It turns out that UA GF is still pretty good to me, with a very comfortable seat, decent food and service, and one of the best IFE out there (IMO only CX has better...though I've not yet flown SQ!). And I can almost always use miles to get UA GF! UA BF is solid, though given the chance I'd always pay more/use more miles for GF since I'm 6'2" and need more seat pitch/bed length.

UA GF would have to be lower price/less miles for me to choose it vs. the J cabins of JL, NH, OZ, NZ, QF, LA, QR, EY, EK, TK, BR, VS, OS, LX, LH, IB new J --- all of these J cabins have a better f&b experience than UA GF - all have direct aisle access in J or in the case of LA, TK and QR 777s a really top notch 2x2x2 product. BA ying yang has some seats that are better than UA GF but others that are inferior. If prices were equal I would save my miles and take J on the other carriers instead of UA GF.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm not following.

At one point, you're saying you fly based on schedule being the priority, and you pick your carrier based on the route you're flying. In this case, you flew arguably the best product in the market (AA 3-cabin F and C), yet you say UA is better.

You also note some really high quality products such as OZ F, CX F, and EK F. Those aren't even in the same league as UA GF, yet you say you like UA GF. What specifically does UA do better? IFE with no music because they're too cheap to pay the royalties and haven't resolved the issue in more than a year? Business Class food with a First Class wine glass?

How can a UA GF seat possibly be better than an EK F Suite?

I'm curious as to what I've missed when I've flown UA GF.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
FF miles aside... I still think DL is top overall. As a Delta Plat, and a United Silver, I had the pleasure of flying both, in both classes. Even flew AA in coach after DL booked me on AA direct after a DAL flight was really late.

In first class, I think United and Delta are both terrific. I cannot speak for AA. However in coach... this is where the differences are.

On the whole, I have not had any coach trips on UA, nor my single AA flight where the flight attendants were anywhere near as nice, friendly, or attentive as the average service on Delta in coach. Until I got PM status on Delta, I mostly flew E+, and short of one flight, overall the DL Y experience is far above and beyond anything else domestically. I would even go as far as saying my average flight on Spirit, had friendlier staff than United in coach.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
UA GF would have to be lower price/less miles for me to choose it vs. the J cabins of JL, NH, OZ, NZ, QF, LA, QR, EY, EK, TK, BR, VS, OS, LX, LH, IB new J --- all of these J cabins have a better f&b experience than UA GF - all have direct aisle access in J or in the case of LA, TK and QR 777s a really top notch 2x2x2 product. BA ying yang has some seats that are better than UA GF but others that are inferior. If prices were equal I would save my miles and take J on the other carriers instead of UA GF.
It's hard to take you seriously when you say this. With a few exceptions, LH business class is trash.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
The resilience of DL FFlyers is admirable.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: AADULtArer
If FF can't see the writing on the wall after this maneuver, they never will.

Award travel pricing is now revenue managed and status dependent.

This will become industry wide quickly, it's not a DL issue.

Pop goes the liability of umpteen trillion FFM off the books
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Currently on a flight to ORD and then heading on to Frankfurt - there is a family that was upgraded to first class bc UA stranded them last night - and they are in complete awe of the service and product (a319). The kids think dad is cool again and mom is embarrassed - it made me remember when I felt that flying first class was cool and not an entitlement....

Every now and then it helps to see things through other peoples eyes....
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
To each, his/her own. I fly whatever airline suits my schedule, location and price, and have good first class/business class experiences with AA, UA and DL with or without any status attachment.

Yet I agree with the OP that United GF is still "pretty good to me" as I am also 6'2" and appreciate the extra room and single seat arrangement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.