This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by findark
Assuming the "normal" case where the premium fare component was delegated to Economy because of the single-cabin aircraft, yes you should be entitled to a premium seat if there is a change of gauge assuming your original booking class (Z in the example) is available. It takes a call and sometimes HUCA to get an agent to do it though.
Originally Posted by jsloan
If it's ticketed as a through fare -- which it normally would be, and which is why you're seeing the same prices either way -- you are absolutely entitled to a seat in the first class cabin if your fare class comes available. Anecdotally, you may need to HUCA a couple of times before you find an agent who understands the situation.

Less clear is what should happen if they don't open seats in your fare class -- for example, if you're booked in Z but they open it up as J6 C0. My personal feeling is that you should be entitled to waitlist for Z class, which is possible in SHARES but which I'm not sure all agents would know how to do. This should also get you preferential treatment on the upgrade list at the gate (you should end up in PR-1).
Thanks. My question is more around fare code than actual seat. Should you be auto-rebooked into "Z" (or whatever first class booking code your connection is in)? Should you only be given the seat but your fare code stays in coach for that segment?

-RM
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Thanks. My question is more around fare code than actual seat. Should you be auto-rebooked into "Z" (or whatever first class booking code your connection is in)? Should you only be given the seat but your fare code stays in coach for that segment?

-RM
The two go together. In the usual case, you have a Z (or whatever) fare which has been delegated to Y on a single-class plane. When a two-class plane is swapped in, you should keep the Z (or whatever) fare and get the matching seat (and RBD on that segment -- you should be put into Z).

There's a better argument to be made in favor of getting the PQM bonus on the single-class plane than there is for not getting it on the two-class plane. (Specifically, it's because you bought the first-class fare and would have been seated in it but for the equipment). It doesn't work that way, but it's a logically cohesive argument.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
You already have the segment using the premium fare basis; the ticket just needs to be revalidated against that segment when the prime rbd (Z) is available.

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's a better argument to be made in favor of getting the PQM bonus on the single-class plane than there is for not getting it on the two-class plane. (Specifically, it's because you bought the first-class fare and would have been seated in it but for the equipment). It doesn't work that way, but it's a logically cohesive argument.
I don't think I've been able to figure out the logic as to when the computer delegates a differential fare to Y versus the underlying Economy rbd. It seems to prefer the latter most of the time, but I feel like I've seen Y from time to time (and a pure premium fare is always Y). Maybe the way the booking code table is defined is different on some of the varying implementations of differential fares?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the way the booking code table is defined is different on some of the varying implementations of differential fares?
Most likely. Those fare are usually created by rule, and it might just have been simpler to use the underlying economy RBD in this case. After all, inventory in that class must be available for the fare to apply.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'm four for six this year ... but mostly on short stuff:

LAS-LAX on January 6th - cleared at T-91 hours
LAX-SMF on February 16th - cleared at T-96 hours
LAX-SAT on February 18th - cleared at T-96 hours
SAT-IAH on February 22nd - cleared at T-6 hours (but the IAH-LAX on the 772 did not clear )

Those LAX-SAT legs seem to routinely clear. I even know silvers who clear that flight. I might take it more often when I fly to SAT, but the timing of that flight usually isn't good for me.

My CPU % will definitely start dropping pretty rapidly once I get back to my routine flight pattern, which involves more hub-to-hub (and 0 LAS ).

Last edited by iapetus; Feb 27, 2019 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Assuming the "normal" case where the premium fare component was delegated to Economy because of the single-cabin aircraft, yes you should be entitled to a premium seat if there is a change of gauge assuming your original booking class (Z in the example) is available. It takes a call and sometimes HUCA to get an agent to do it though.
Yes, that was my thought. They swapped in the 2-class plane the night before, and by the time I had a chance to call UA (to refare my wife's award ticket to the front cabin), I had already been CPU'd and didn't feel like it was going to be worth it to spend another hour and potential HUACAs just to get the extra 500 PQM. I should be fine on PQM this year; the stretch is going to be PQDs given I'm at roughly 35k PQM but $2k PQD so far for the year...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Cleared EWR-CLT T-1 hour. Was #5 passenger in E170 F cabin.

I am puzzled, though, that I haven’t been CPU’ed on my ATL-EWR flight in a couple days. It shows 2/12 - hasn’t changed in many days. Has UA done anything to slow down processing of CPUs? This should be a slam-dunk at T-96, IMO.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Cleared EWR-CLT T-1 hour. Was #5 passenger in E170 F cabin.

I am puzzled, though, that I haven’t been CPU’ed on my ATL-EWR flight in a couple days. It shows 2/12 - hasn’t changed in many days. Has UA done anything to slow down processing of CPUs? This should be a slam-dunk at T-96, IMO.
Something similar for my SAN-ORD flight in a couple of days. Am assuming they think they can monetize the front cabin. (Actually just realized I have applied an RPU so will be ahead of the CPUs).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Something similar for my SAN-ORD flight in a couple of days. Am assuming they think they can monetize the front cabin. (Actually just realized I have applied an RPU so will be ahead of the CPUs).
Maybe. I was #1 on upgrade list for EWR-CLT, and no one bit at paying $125 to get a bag of chips and free booze. I highly doubt folks will go for $145 and the same kind of offerings for a 6AM flight. I’m more annoyed because I want to get the single F seat if possible - and once inside T-24, it’s more of a pain to change assignments.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Maybe. I was #1 on upgrade list for EWR-CLT, and no one bit at paying $125 to get a bag of chips and free booze. I highly doubt folks will go for $145 and the same kind of offerings for a 6AM flight.
The amount that some people will pay for a TOD upgrade never ceases to amaze me.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I can't speak to SAN-ORD but I fly ATL/EWR 1-3x/month and I've observed as of late they are opening PZ down to J2 (i.e. it will be J3 PZ1) on most of the mainline flights but none of the express flights. Seems rather odd they'd open PZ on a 5pm EWR-ATL (on a 319 (!!) nonetheless) but not on a 6am ATL-EWR that's booked 1/12 in F. @PSIFigher37 I'm not sure if your flight is is mainline or express but I'd venture to guess it's not necessarily because UA thinks they can sell the seats, but rather something wrong on the backend code between mainline and express. Again, just my theory, but seems possible.

It ends up leading to 11 gate upgrades which I witnessed a few weeks ago. I know we shouldn't complain about the upgrade but would have been nice to clear at T-96 as a 1K and get your preferred seating choice. I know they could be holding off on the possibility of 175 -> 170 downgrades but it wouldn't hurt them to clear a few in advance.

Last edited by CruiserCLE; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:23 pm

My flight is UAX and I’ll do a shot of Banker’s Club (hat tip to the fine city of PHL) if I don’t get upgraded in the end. Methinks that UA’s back-end software is not working right.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This should be a slam-dunk at T-96, IMO.
No such thing. Been this way for years.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:28 am

Ended up getting upgraded at T-24 in the end. Naturally, I was not assigned an A seat.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus - 1K
Did a SDC placing me into EWR this morning and then onto BOS, cleared about an hour after I checked in at T-15?

60% clearance rate this year so far.

There has to be something of a sweep after you check in as I've been seeing a LOT of CPU's about 30-60 minutes after I check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.