Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1048772-does-ua-still-provide-hotels-1ks-weather-delay-cancelation-misconnect.html

Summary
"GG AMENITIES"
GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

It appears UA still has a policy to provide overnight lodging for
-- 1Ks/GS for all causes including WX/ATC
-- *G on international premium cabin itin for all causes including WX/ATC
-- all passengers for a UA caused overnight delay
1.Lodging - UA will provide at its option either one night’s lodging, or, if no lodging is provided and upon the passenger’s request only, reimbursement for one night’s lodging in the form of an electronic travel certificate that may be applied to future travel on UA up to a maximum amount determined by UA when a UA flight on which a Passenger is being transported incurs Irregular Operations and the Passenger incurs a delay that is expected to exceed four hours between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. local time. Where lodging has been offered but not accepted by a Passenger for whatever reason, UA is not liable to reimburse the Passenger for expenses relating to alternative lodging secured independently by the Passenger.
EXCEPTION: Lodging will not be furnished:
a.To a Passenger whose trip is interrupted at a city which is his/her permanent domicile, origin point, or stopover point, or
b.When the destination city airport that is designated on the Passenger’s Ticket and the city airport that the Passenger is diverted to are both within the following city groups: .... See CcC for list
c.When such interruption is due to circumstances outside UA’s control.
Lodging offers are not always proactively provided and some reports of pushback. But many have been successful in filing claims for hotel bills and receiving an ETC post-event if qualified per above guidelines. Note UA will likely place a reasonable limit on "reimbursement."

Note -- in cases of major weather room availability may be an issue.

Star alliance reference guide for IRROPS:
http://rg.star-allianceemployees.com/irregular-operations-handling.html
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide
(pdf: page 152)
https://portal.staralliance.com/cms/publications/reference-guide/starallianceguide_1201b.pdf/@@download/file/StarAllianceGuide_1201b.pdf

Amenities - Controllable*

Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.

Amenities - Uncontrollable*

In the event of an uncontrollable delay, Star Alliance member carriers will provide amenities to premium customers (First, Business and Star Alliance Gold status customers and customers requiring special assistance) travelling on an "intercontinental" journey including "intercontinental connection" to/from domestic services. An "intercontinental connection" is defined as one which does not exceed 24 hours. Intercontinental services are defined as those operating between Europe, Asia, North America (including Central America), South america, Australia & New Zealand and Africa.

*Special conditions apply for EU registered carriers and non-EU registered carriers operating from the EU.

Minimum Amenities

Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
Print Wikipost

Hotels? for 1K irrops (WX, MX, ...)? [Consolidated Q&A 2015-forward]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Risky, but probably worth it given the time of the night.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have no status and they paid for my room when I was stuck overnight at EWR due to an atc ground stop.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you not get a room if UA doesn't reimburse? I am a firm believer in taking care of #1 regardless of who is paying.
chavala and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I knew we had rough weather but not enough to actually shut down the airport. Wow.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Airport shutdown, crew time out. as a 1K, can I book a room first and then have UA reimburse me for it? We are still trying to get back to the gate and I don't want to wait until all the rooms are filled
After landing in Houston during the April floods in 2016, I will never again hesitate in a booking a room without consideration of who will pay. During the flight from SNA, Flightaware and UA were reporting that there was bad weather but that the airport was still open. I had the Hyatt booking engine open and could have gotten a room right at the airport during the flight but decided to wait to see what the 1K desk would do for me. By the time we landed, IAH was shutting everything down and the nearest hotel of any brand with rooms was around 45 minutes away, so I had to rent a car to get there.

TomMM's advice is sound: Take care of #1 first, worry about who will pay for it later.
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
TomMM's advice is sound: Take care of #1 first, worry about who will pay for it later.
Agreed. This happened to me Sunday night in Denver. Diverted to COS for two plus hours, back to Denver. Walking to my gate for my greatly delayed connection to DTW and cancellation pops up on the app. I book a hotel (Westin was already full so had to go off site). Concurrently on the 1K line was accommodated on the early Delta departure the next morning.

CS desk lines were hundreds deep, UC line was at least 25 deep. I walked out to check in and got meal vouchers from the Premium area and went to the hotel. Sent 1Kvoice my hotel receipt and they are sending a check. I was on a paid D fare, so I don’t know if that makes any difference. But I was told on the phone that the phone agents can’t deal with hotels and it has to be done at the airport anyway. I am not a fan of the hotels they book so I took care of my own plans and will get a check in the mail soon.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmcintosh
But I was told on the phone that the phone agents can’t deal with hotels and it has to be done at the airport anyway. I am not a fan of the hotels they book so I took care of my own plans and will get a check in the mail soon.
Since the hotel typically requires a paper ATB-format voucher this makes sense -- but it also seems that it has to be done at the specific airport, not just at an airport. Earlier this year it looked like I was guaranteed misconnect UA->KX in GCM (3+ hour maintenance delay put our final ETA at 15 *after* the onward flight was scheduled to depart -- let alone clearing customs, rechecking bags, etc. -- [as it turned out we made up a little bit of time so we landed with about 10 minutes before scheduled departure; KX held the flight had an agent run me through customs, bag drop, security, etc.] but since that was the only flight of the day and I didn't think UA had a strong presence in GCM since it's a one-flight-a-day station where crews don't even overnight I was trying to get my ducks in a row at the IAH UC -- they couldn't book/issue a voucher for a hotel anywhere but IAH (we had also looked at sending me to MIA and to my final on AA the next morning, etc.) -- but confirmed and thoroughly documented the PNR that if UA's reps in GCM couldn't book a hotel UA would reimburse actual out of pocket if I booked my own hotel.

Incidentally UA did have to cut a check for that trip -- KX insisted even though the bag was through-checked and tagged UA hadn't sent them the required info and charged me their bag fee and to "take it up with UA" -- UA's check for the fee and an ETC for the inconvenience (not requested) were in my mailbox within 7 days. Thought UA handled it very well.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Last night around midnight while still waiting for our plane to go back to the gate, I called Hilton and booked a room at the Short Hills property. Only 15 mins by Uber. All the hotels I checked around the EWR had no rooms available. 1K desk rebooked us on today's flight and now showing a 2-hr delay out of EWR. Our original flight was not cancelled, it turned out. It left at 7 this morning. It had to return to the gate due to ATC and crew timed-out. So today I email them with my hotel folio, so we shall see.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Last night around midnight while still waiting for our plane to go back to the gate, I called Hilton and booked a room at the Short Hills property. Only 15 mins by Uber. All the hotels I checked around the EWR had no rooms available. 1K desk rebooked us on today's flight and now showing a 2-hr delay out of EWR. Our original flight was not cancelled, it turned out. It left at 7 this morning. It had to return to the gate due to ATC and crew timed-out. So today I email them with my hotel folio, so we shall see.
They should reimburse you - I had a misconnect issue last year and rather than take the risk of no hotel rooms in ORD when I finally made it, I booked a room at the airport Hilton (big mistake, but that's another issue) with my corp rate, and while the agents in DEN and ORD would only offer me meal coupons, they had no rooms near the airport when I finally arrived aside from a Red Roof Inn miles away....even the airport agents told me to email the receipt and UA would send me a check, which they did.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They should reimburse you - I had a misconnect issue last year and rather than take the risk of no hotel rooms in ORD when I finally made it, I booked a room at the airport Hilton (big mistake, but that's another issue) with my corp rate, and while the agents in DEN and ORD would only offer me meal coupons, they had no rooms near the airport when I finally arrived aside from a Red Roof Inn miles away....even the airport agents told me to email the receipt and UA would send me a check, which they did.
Curious minds want to know: what happened at Hilton ORD?

ETA: seems relevant as this is a 1Ks in Hotels thread
getagb likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onthesam
Curious minds want to know: what happened at Hilton ORD?

ETA: seems relevant as this is a 1Ks in Hotels thread
I expected a much nicer, modern, updated room than I received - it appears the hotel is old, tired and worn out and I could have taken a hotel shuttle to a nicer Westin or Sheraton in the time it took to walk from my UA gate to the hotel.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I expected a much nicer, modern, updated room than I received - it appears the hotel is old, tired and worn out and I could have taken a hotel shuttle to a nicer Westin or Sheraton in the time it took to walk from my UA gate to the hotel.
Hilton is < 5 min. walk from bag claim via tunnels so the next nearest hotel (Hyatt Regency O’Hare?) will take you at least 15 min. longer to reach via cab + fare.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Hilton is < 5 min. walk from bag claim via tunnels so the next nearest hotel (Hyatt Regency O’Hare?) will take you at least 15 min. longer to reach via cab + fare.
One of the tricks I the front desk offered on my last stay at the ORD Hilton (also first, and it was nothing special but certainly not overly disappointing IMO as far as airport Hiltons go; certainly no worse than the ORD Westin that UA put me up in last year) is to avoid the tunnel entirely in decent weather: From the Hilton check-in desk exit straight through the front doors, hang a left, cross the terminal roadway, sliding door into baggage claim, escalator up to check in level through TSA and done. Maybe partially because the route was more scenic but it seemed at least 50% shorter than the tunnels I had used to get -to- the Hilton.
onthesam likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
CHS-EWR canceled due to ATC. Flight was already delayed and ended up getting canceled around 2h before departure. Last flight of the day, I was rebooked for the next morning but since I was already near the airport, I went there to look for alternatives. My first option was to get on DL flight but it was already under airport gate control. Next option was to standby on IAD flight to fly CHS-IAD-EWR/LGA, but CHS-IAD was full. Also didn't matter as that flight ended up being delayed for more than 1h and I would have misconnected.

Asked for meal/hotel voucher, was denied at first cause it's "weather/ATC", but agent later recognized my status and forced a voucher through. Now sitting in a meh Hilton Garden Inn waiting for next day's flight.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I hadn't tried asking for one of these in two years, but I was recently denied a hotel room by the agent and the supervisor at DTW as a 1K when weather canceled my flight to EWR and forced an overnight. I booked my own room and followed-up with 1K voice attaching my receipt. They also denied reimbursement or a voucher since it was weather related. Just another data point showing it's a YMMV situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.